Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving house empty ?,council tax

Leaving house empty ?,council tax

Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:55 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving house empty ?,council tax

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Sorry for the confusion. I've had NO problems, but some people on here have. The kitchen fire thread was started in the last month or so.

I was trying to say something along the lines of "if you are so worried about 100 quid or so a month, how will your stress levels deal with the actual occurrence of one of the potential disasters", and "if you are worried about this 600-1000 pounds now, are you actually in a financial position to immigrate".

Is that any better?
Yes, thanks, I understand now.

My question was just wondering about CT and trying to confirm the rules, really.

Having survived the stress of;
being away from my OH for over a year with only 4 visits between us,
working my ass off to pay for two residences for that year (one here and one in B.C),
packing and sending all our possessions alone,
living without said possessions for the last 3 months (I have one pan, a beanbag and as for clothing.......)
redecorating the entire house for sale on my own,
hiring and then having to sack an incompetent estate agency,
producing all the requested repeat paperwork for CIC,
OH having his LMO and TWP renewal to do (worry!) 'cos CIO have taken over a year to process our application as Cat 2
organising vaccinations for and shipping two lots of cats from the UK to Canada,
and now, finally winding up our affairs in the UK and making big decisions about house price drop vs renting it out....

All of which has cost us over £10K so far and more to come.....

Yes, I think I can say with some confidence that I can easily manage the "stress", whatever situation should arise.

I won't say I won't need a long lie down in a dark room when I eventually get to B.C, but I'll cope until it is all over.

As for money, well we saved up for this whole process very hard for a long time (not that that makes it any better but at least we have the resources for it) and as I am haemorrhaging cash at a rate of knots anyway at the moment, CT cost is a drop in the ocean

I am glad to hear that there are some people who have had no problems renting out their properties, though. Horror stories are bound to make headlines, but it can be successful.
If you have any good advice to give in this regard, I would be very pleased to have the input.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Yes, thanks, I understand now.

My question was just wondering about CT and trying to confirm the rules, really.

Having survived the stress of;
being away from my OH for over a year with only 4 visits between us,
working my ass off to pay for two residences for that year (one here and one in B.C),
packing and sending all our possessions alone,
living without said possessions for the last 3 months (I have one pan, a beanbag and as for clothing.......)
redecorating the entire house for sale on my own,
hiring and then having to sack an incompetent estate agency,
producing all the requested repeat paperwork for CIC,
OH having his LMO and TWP renewal to do (worry!) 'cos CIO have taken over a year to process our application as Cat 2
organising vaccinations for and shipping two lots of cats from the UK to Canada,
and now, finally winding up our affairs in the UK and making big decisions about house price drop vs renting it out....

All of which has cost us over £10K so far and more to come.....

Yes, I think I can say with some confidence that I can easily manage the "stress", whatever situation should arise.

I won't say I won't need a long lie down in a dark room when I eventually get to B.C, but I'll cope until it is all over.

As for money, well we saved up for this whole process very hard for a long time (not that that makes it any better but at least we have the resources for it) and as I am haemorrhaging cash at a rate of knots anyway at the moment, CT cost is a drop in the ocean

I am glad to hear that there are some people who have had no problems renting out their properties, though. Horror stories are bound to make headlines, but it can be successful.
If you have any good advice to give in this regard, I would be very pleased to have the input.
My advice is to make sure your home is insured if you leave it empty!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:41 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
My advice is to make sure your home is insured if you leave it empty!
Absolutely!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 7:46 am
Island life at last

I am very lucky in where I live for this situation, as I am in a village location, off the road but very close to three other houses. I share a driveway with my neighbours, so any strange vehicles are noticed immediately.
In fact, there is nowhere to park at my house except in my garage!

My neighbour is lovely and at home all the time as they run a business from home, which means that there is always someone around to see what is going on.

My neighbour is also a landlord of several properties and so she has tradesmen who do work for her on hand. She will be happy to check my house from time to time and call someone if there is a problem with anything.

I am very lucky to have people close by who I can trust and who will be looking out for the place for me.

I am still just not sure about renting the place out ......
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:52 pm
So near yet so far.......

Rubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant futureRubie has a brilliant future

Hi
Rules for council tax are:

1. no longer your main home but still furnished is charged
From 50% to 90% depending on your council.

2. Unfurnished properties get 6months exemption from charges
Then anything from 50-100% charge depending on your council.

Councils have some discretion about what to charge for empty
Properties which is why there may be differences in what people have been told.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Also if you have a mortgage on the property (unless it's a 'buy to rent' type), you need the mortgage holders permission to sub-let - and probably even to leave it empty tbh as they consider it at their risk.

I leased my old house when I went to Oz, never again for me. You must have gas/electric certification every year. Anything goes wrong it's at your expense. You now need to have landlords insurance as general policies you would have if you lived there will not be honoured when they find out you rent it out. Blah, blah, blah... Not for me but each to their own I guess, good luck to you, I hope it works out.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:17 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by TheKellys5
Also if you have a mortgage on the property (unless it's a 'buy to rent' type), you need the mortgage holders permission to sub-let - and probably even to leave it empty tbh as they consider it at their risk.

I leased my old house when I went to Oz, never again for me. You must have gas/electric certification every year. Anything goes wrong it's at your expense. You now need to have landlords insurance as general policies you would have if you lived there will not be honoured when they find out you rent it out. Blah, blah, blah... Not for me but each to their own I guess, good luck to you, I hope it works out.
With the state of the property market here in the UK as it is now, many of us may not have the luxury of choosing, it just is the only viable option.