Reload this Page >

Leaving Family & Friends

Leaving Family & Friends

Old May 20th 2010, 2:53 am
Just Joined

jmlilypop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving Family & Friends

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
hi, we are also in Oakville (i hear more brit accents here than at home!) where in Oakville are u? We are by third line and west oak trails. We have a small nice group of expats that do lots of stuff together and have a much needed girls night out every now and again. If you ever feel the need for some new conversation etc, feel free to pm me

As to the OP. It does take time to settle - we went (are still going through it now). You need to see your new life for what it is and the reasons you went out in the 1st place.

keep trying, its such a different place to the Uk and both have their pos and negs.
Hi ,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply but my parents have just been over and I havent been able to catch up with everything !!
We live in Joshua Creek which is near eighth line and North Ridge Trail and yes I would love to meet up some time that would be great I could do with meeting some people
Janine
Old May 21st 2010, 2:17 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't have kids but i read this a lot on here.

I'm intrigued as to what, in the larger scope of life, Canada offers to a childs life that the UK, for example, doesn't.

Other than mountains, ice hockey, and skating on frozen lakes.

Maybe naively, but i'd have thought the UK offered a child a similar educational opportunity and even more employment opportunities (diversity and accessibility), not to mention locality and stability of extended family (grandparents etc).

But like a said, i have no kids so really aren't sure if i'm missing something.

I live in Oakville, Ontario. We have more parks, swimming pools, football pitches, sports centres etc. than anywhere I know in England. The streets are safe and clean. The school system is probably comparable with the UK, as is health care. I think the key difference for me is safety, a real sense of community and the sheer number facilities available to kids (locally). As a parent I can also dedicate more time to my kids as my daily commute into Toronto is much less than my commute into Central London used to be.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John_B
I live in Oakville, Ontario. We have more parks, swimming pools, football pitches, sports centres etc. than anywhere I know in England. The streets are safe and clean. The school system is probably comparable with the UK, as is health care. I think the key difference for me is safety, a real sense of community and the sheer number facilities available to kids (locally). As a parent I can also dedicate more time to my kids as my daily commute into Toronto is much less than my commute into Central London used to be.

I live in Oakville too and i agree there are tons of facilites for kids - kids here do not go without.
What do you mean by a sense of community, thats the one thing i don't really agree with. IMO its got such as big population how can it. Everyone drives and rarley bump into people walking round. To me (and you may disagree) a community is where people know eachother, know the local shopkeepers, have organised events for the whole town to join on etc etc.
Thats what i miss about living here, everyone's a no one if you know what i mean.

I have 2 neighbours on my street that i have become really good friends with, but the rest of the street keep themselves to themselves, you don't see people anyway on the street as they get in there cars get out there cars straight in the house.

This is where my dilemma lies, as i can see the great time the kids are having and yes the streets are safe and clean
(not that that was much more different where i came from, apart from dog poo). The choices kids have is in abundance here, (having said that, there were many of the same activities at home that they are interested in ie dance, footie, horseriding, just not a million of them.

The school albeit good, its nowhere near to the school they used to be at.
Kids (teenagers) seem nice and polite, thats a plus (though not sure if they were that bad at home either).

In in all, i find it dull as a dodo in different aspects, (i'll wait for the backlash of that one).
Before anyone jumps down my throat, i have put myself out, i go to excersise classes, have tried different activities, scrapbooking (which seems a popular hobby to be done in a group on an evening) isn't my bag, but have tried other stuff.

My kids had just as much fun going exploring on the walks in the country we used to do. Going to the summer fetes which might have had only one bouncy castle as opposed to waterslides etc, but they enjoyed it and if we did go to a theme park in the UK, it was such a treat that they really appreciated it.

I think i have just answered my own dilemma.

I can understand why people do like it here b4 i get totally slated and i wish i did love it here, but i don't.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:50 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
I live in Oakville too and i agree there are tons of facilites for kids - kids here do not go without.
What do you mean by a sense of community, thats the one thing i don't really agree with. IMO its got such as big population how can it. Everyone drives and rarley bump into people walking round. To me (and you may disagree) a community is where people know eachother, know the local shopkeepers, have organised events for the whole town to join on etc etc.
Thats what i miss about living here, everyone's a no one if you know what i mean.

I have 2 neighbours on my street that i have become really good friends with, but the rest of the street keep themselves to themselves, you don't see people anyway on the street as they get in there cars get out there cars straight in the house.

This is where my dilemma lies, as i can see the great time the kids are having and yes the streets are safe and clean
(not that that was much more different where i came from, apart from dog poo). The choices kids have is in abundance here, (having said that, there were many of the same activities at home that they are interested in ie dance, footie, horseriding, just not a million of them.

The school albeit good, its nowhere near to the school they used to be at.
Kids (teenagers) seem nice and polite, thats a plus (though not sure if they were that bad at home either).

In in all, i find it dull as a dodo in different aspects, (i'll wait for the backlash of that one).
Before anyone jumps down my throat, i have put myself out, i go to excersise classes, have tried different activities, scrapbooking (which seems a popular hobby to be done in a group on an evening) isn't my bag, but have tried other stuff.

My kids had just as much fun going exploring on the walks in the country we used to do. Going to the summer fetes which might have had only one bouncy castle as opposed to waterslides etc, but they enjoyed it and if we did go to a theme park in the UK, it was such a treat that they really appreciated it.

I think i have just answered my own dilemma.

I can understand why people do like it here b4 i get totally slated and i wish i did love it here, but i don't.

I tend to agree with pretty much everything you have mentioned here. The sense of community I get is mainly centered around my street. I have great neigbours and we regularly have some kind of get together. From street parties, to an outdoor movie on my nieghbours front lawn. This weekend, for example, we are having fireworks in the street for May 24 weekend.

I also agree with you comment about it being dull. I said as much to one of my best friends back in England recently. In many ways it's difficult to fault a lot of things here, but there is no escaping the fact that it is just plain dull when compared to England. I lived London, so it's hard to beat that wherever you live. I also miss Europe and the fact I used to get 6 weeks holiday a year, whereas now I only get 3.

We lived in Bethnal Green before we left for Canada. I was sick of the grafiti, vandalism, dog poo, traffic, crime etc. If we could afford a nice house in the Costwolds, we probably would never have left the UK, but Canada offered a better standard of living and a great place to bring up kids. The price we are paying for this is the loss of friends, family, culture, holidays, being able to buy beer at the supermarket along with many other things we just took for granted. I wrestle with the long term prospect of staying here for good, but if I do stay, it will be for the Children. If it were just my Wife and Me, we both agree we'd be on the next flight home.
Old May 21st 2010, 6:56 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Bethnal Green before we left for Canada. I was sick of the grafiti, vandalism, dog poo, traffic, crime etc. If we could afford a nice house in the Costwolds, we probably would never have left the UK, but Canada offered a better standard of living and a great place to bring up kids. The price we are paying for this is the loss of friends, family, culture, holidays, being able to buy beer at the supermarket along with many other things we just took for granted. I wrestle with the long term prospect of staying here for good, but if I do stay, it will be for the Children. If it were just my Wife and Me, we both agree we'd be on the next flight home.
You wanna watch that the kids don't grow up and move on, leaving you two in Canada.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

I tend to agree with pretty much everything you have mentioned here. The sense of community I get is mainly centered around my street. I have great neigbours and we regularly have some kind of get together. From street parties, to an outdoor movie on my nieghbours front lawn. This weekend, for example, we are having fireworks in the street for May 24 weekend.

I also agree with you comment about it being dull. I said as much to one of my best friends back in England recently. In many ways it's difficult to fault a lot of things here, but there is no escaping the fact that it is just plain dull when compared to England. I lived London, so it's hard to beat that wherever you live. I also miss Europe and the fact I used to get 6 weeks holiday a year, whereas now I only get 3.

Tee hee, i thought you were gonna give me a right grilling!!
My brother in law used to live in Bethnall Green and he loved it, untill kids came along and he the same as you decided to move (elsewhere in the UK).

It sounds great the street you live on, we have 2 sets of fab neighbours too and are having the whole fireworks thing this weekend with a mexican eve night to follow (hopefully we'll all get nice and merry!).
That side of stuff i enjoy (prob more than my hubby, but thats cos its mainly women and one hubby who's not similar to him (he's a footie talking kind of man) - is there any other.......!!

Yes, we are always in a quandry about doing best for the kids, but we came from a very close knit community in a nice village, enough distance from Leeds to stay away from the riff raff but close enough for some decent nights out and shopping!

If anything its made us realise that where we came from was a great place to bring up kids, we always knew people, kids playing out, walk down the street bump into someone - fancy a quick drink at the local type life/ long walk into the fields etc.
It came with a hefty price tag in terms of house prices, but again what we have come to realise that a big house does not make us happy, its what around us that does.

Having said that, we are experiencing lots of new things and have had a great adventure and the kids have benefited from a different way of life for a couple years. for us though, i'm pretty sure it will be back to our homeland in a years time.

No regrets, have done lots, made new friends and enjoyed Canada, but we know now where we truly belong and thats a good feeling.

Enjoy your fireworks!!