Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving Family & Friends

Leaving Family & Friends

Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Family & Friends

Originally Posted by iaink
Will it have any future career relevance?.. Well, hopefully she will go on to do better compensated things than working in the local call centers, but they do pay a premium for bilingualism
Hey, if it just gets you a better part time job while in law school, that's something worth having.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Hey, if it just gets you a better part time job while in law school, that's something worth having.
Fair point, but please, dont ever suggest any of my offspring might become lawyers again... you can push a man too far!

I suppose she could be the heroic crusaiding human rights type lawyer though, but then her living in poverty doesnt really appeal either....

Last edited by iaink; Apr 9th 2010 at 5:15 pm. Reason: afterthought
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:06 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
In short, I think children are better off in Canada than in the UK if their parents can make more money here and are willing to spend it on the children. In general I think children born to cradles in Canada are no better off than children born to British parents in Britain.
When I read that what I see is "if you've got more cash here, you can have a better life here" which is such a statement of the obvious that it can't be what you really meant.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
When I read that what I see is "if you've got more cash here, you can have a better life here" which is such a statement of the obvious that it can't be what you really meant.
I read it more as "Its possible to make more money here (in my field), therefore we can have a better life"

I do think kids activities here are generally cheaper too FWIW.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't have kids but i read this a lot on here.

I'm intrigued as to what, in the larger scope of life, Canada offers to a childs life that the UK, for example, doesn't.

Other than mountains, ice hockey, and skating on frozen lakes.

Maybe naively, but i'd have thought the UK offered a child a similar educational opportunity and even more employment opportunities (diversity and accessibility), not to mention locality and stability of extended family (grandparents etc).

But like a said, i have no kids so really aren't sure if i'm missing something.
Snow.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 3:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Yep, that's the banality of it. I don't see that there's anything better for children in one place or the other that isn't specific to the family's circumstances.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
I have to think of whats best for my kids!!!!
I wouldn't advise moving ONLY for the kids, do it because you as a family truly believe that Canada will offer you what you want. It is such a different country to the UK - Pos and negs. You as parents need to be happy and settled too.
We came over thinking it is a better lifestlye for the kids. I think we jumped on the bandwagon as Britain being a place where kids have no future etc etc!
In reality, we came from a lovley yorkshire village with a fantastic school and lots of good friends. We have now jumped into city suburbia with not much character or charm and a school that isn't half as good as her last one.

We hope to move back in a year, which will make it 2 years here - had an adventure, but now we know where we want to be for the rest of our lives.

For keeping in touch with friends/family skype is a great invention and has def helped with being able to see people, just get a bit chaotic when you have 3 noisy kids trying to hog the screen!!!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
I wouldn't advise moving ONLY for the kids, do it because you as a family truly believe that Canada will offer you what you want. It is such a different country to the UK - Pos and negs. You as parents need to be happy and settled too.
We came over thinking it is a better lifestlye for the kids. I think we jumped on the bandwagon as Britain being a place where kids have no future etc etc!
In reality, we came from a lovley yorkshire village with a fantastic school and lots of good friends. We have now jumped into city suburbia with not much character or charm and a school that isn't half as good as her last one.

We hope to move back in a year, which will make it 2 years here - had an adventure, but now we know where we want to be for the rest of our lives.

For keeping in touch with friends/family skype is a great invention and has def helped with being able to see people, just get a bit chaotic when you have 3 noisy kids trying to hog the screen!!!
I wonder how many parents confuse moving "for the kids" and "moving for/from themselves"?

Because reading the small number of replies on this, it seems for the bigger picture of a child's life and career, Canada can offer no more than the UK?

Fair enough, i can understand a parent living in the third world wanting to move for the benefit of their child but from the UK to Canada, there must be another more significant driver for the parents.

But like i said, i have no kids so don't have the parental experience other than my niece and nephews who, from the looks of things, have a great life, education, and opportunities in the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many parents confuse moving "for the kids" and "moving for/from themselves"?
True.

Because reading the small number of replies on this, it seems for the bigger picture of a child's life and career, Canada can offer no more than the UK?
A blank canvas on which to build their life?

Fair enough, i can understand a parent living in the third world wanting to move for the benefit of their child but from the UK to Canada, there must be another more significant driver for the parents.
So much depends on where you live in the UK you live and how much money you have.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have kids but i read this a lot on here.

I'm intrigued as to what, in the larger scope of life, Canada offers to a childs life that the UK, for example, doesn't.

Other than mountains, ice hockey, and skating on frozen lakes.

Maybe naively, but i'd have thought the UK offered a child a similar educational opportunity and even more employment opportunities (diversity and accessibility), not to mention locality and stability of extended family (grandparents etc).

But like a said, i have no kids so really aren't sure if i'm missing something.
I read this ad nauseam. It seems to me that this appears to be an easy option. Sod retraining or trying something new in the UK, lets bugger off to somewhere else where we can try our luck and leave our troubles behind, but use our children to justify the move. Problem is with this approach, is most of the time the problems come with you.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

But like i said, i have no kids so don't have the parental experience other than my niece and nephews who, from the looks of things, have a great life, education, and opportunities in the UK.
I agree, we came primarily for "the kids future" and don't get me wrong, there is a huge amount out here for kids to do, but we are not happy here and i believe we need to have an enjoyable life too (if nothing else so we can raise our kids in a positive household).
I know we could stick it out for another year/two/three, but i honestly believe it won't change how we feel. By then though, it would be much harder to move the kids back.

So, yes i think the reason for moving away from home has to be a lot more than just being better for the kids.
You can move within the UK from inner city to a village setting if its a better lifestly for the kids that is wanted.
Stupidly, we didn't need to do that as where we came from was a great place - now we have come to appreciate it!!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

You can move within the UK from inner city to a village setting if its a better lifestly for the kids that is wanted.
Its a question of money I think, not many have the income to go from a nasty inner city area to a nice leafy village and still have a job nearby. If you are moving from a posh inner city pad thats probably not the case, but then a healthy income makes most places seem better.

Certainly in the past there was a temptation to cash in on UK property equity and buy bigger in Canada and start afresh, but the housing market in the UK is not what it was and the exchange rate doesnt look so good now.

You could be raising your kids in a utopian paradise, but if the parents are unhappy then the kids will not thrive. I think though that once people start to think about trying a new country its very hard to put that genie back in the bottle. Canadas OK though, I like it here obviously, but then I never had a problem in the UK, other than property was so expensive, and its got no cheaper since then. Expensive property is true in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary etc too though. I still consider myself lucky to end up in a cheaper area but with access to a job that pays the bills.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 9th 2010 at 8:02 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Stupidly, we didn't need to do that as where we came from was a great place - now we have come to appreciate it!!
I don't think it is stupid. I think experiencing something new, and learning from that experience what is important to you is a very rational, as well as valuable, thing to do.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 7:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a question of money I think.
Very true. For a normal family to move from a grim northern town to a family home in the sort of crime free areas with good schools that do exist in the UK is almost impossible. The difference in property prices makes it so.

A move to Canada might actually be the cheaper option. Plus, you get the blank canvas to build your new life.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Very true. For a normal family to move from a grim northern town to a family home in the sort of crime free areas with good schools that do exist in the UK is almost impossible. The difference in property prices makes it so.

A move to Canada might actually be the cheaper option. Plus, you get the blank canvas to build your new life.
Perfectly put JonboyE!!

I have no kids or wife.....it just hasnt happened so far for me, all my friends and family had moved on to their next phase, I felt life was passing me by...so I was one that bought into that blank canvas....life is too short to spned in one place....in my circumstances that is....many people of course are quite happy to do that - and I can also perfectly understand that, if you have all the building blocks there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.