Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Leaving Canada for OZ

Leaving Canada for OZ

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving Canada for OZ

Does anyone have any ideas of what i can do with my exsisting Car Loan?
Just been offered a job in OZ.
Thanks in advance
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 9:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving Canada for OZ

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
Thanks in advance
Pay it off?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
Can be done in 2 steps.

STEP 1:

Sell Car

STEP 2:

Pay off loan
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

The car will be handy on the long drive up the yellow brick road, plus you can give a lift to Tin Man and Lion. I'd keep it.....
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PeterF
Can be done in 2 steps.

STEP 1:

Sell Car

STEP 2:

Pay off loan
Option 3: Is immoral, but if you're not planning on coming back hand the car back and default on any negative equity they say you owe.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold

Im leaving Oz for Canada.

I leave in 29 days. If you need to buy a car in Sydney - Im selling one!

Good luck in Oz - hope your salary has increased significantly by moving here - you will need it!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blue monday
Option 3: Is immoral, but if you're not planning on coming back hand the car back and default on any negative equity they say you owe.
And when they hunt him down in Australia and charge him extra interest and penalties, how is he going to pay?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Option 4 : Declare bankruptcy and your debt, with certain exceptions, disappears after a period of time. However this is a serious life decision that can have long term consequences. Not recommended other than as a last resort.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Option 4 : Declare bankruptcy and your debt, with certain exceptions, disappears after a period of time. However this is a serious life decision that can have long term consequences. Not recommended other than as a last resort.
You actually have to be bankrupt to do this and prove it to a bankruptcy court. Just declaring it is not sufficient.

A bit of an extreme way to send a car back however you look at it.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

blue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to allblue monday is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
And when they hunt him down in Australia and charge him extra interest and penalties, how is he going to pay?
If it's anything like the UK the debt isn't enforceable in another country so no problems with that, the only problem is the morality of such actions. There has been much discussion on this forum in regard leaving debt behind.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:36 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

If it's anything like the UK the debt isn't enforceable in another country so no problems with that, the only problem is the morality of such actions. There has been much discussion on this forum in regard leaving debt behind.
Not to mention the fact if one decides to return....
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I thought foreign debts were enforcable? Granted it apparently costs the company chasing you a lot of time and money to recover it - so if it were a small amount then doing a runner, whilst immoral, would leave you safe - but I wouldn't think that a company would want to write off a lot of high value debt because the borrower moved abroad???
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's anything like the UK the debt isn't enforceable in another country
Sure it is. There may be procedural hoops to jump through but dealing with those is what debt collectors do. If it's a sensible amount of money they'll come after it.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wondered what kind of value they would give me for the car if i hand it back. any ideas how i can work this out?
Not that i am going to skip out...but...
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered what kind of value they would give me for the car if i hand it back. any ideas how i can work this out?
Not that i am going to skip out...but...
They typically auction the car off, so they likely can't give you an amount in advance.

Now depending on province what happens after that varies depending on provincial law.

In BC if they repo the car and its a purchase and not a lease, the lender can't come after you.

http://bc-lawline.blogspot.com/2006/...or-sue_26.html

"In BC, there is a "seize or sue" law that applies to "consumer goods". If you never used the car for business, it would probably qualify as a "consumer good". That means if you default on your the loan that is against your car, the lender has two choices - they can seize your car, in which case that means that the entire debt against the car is gone. If that was your only debt, you wouldn't need to do a bankruptcy. The other choice the lender has if you default on your payments (and if you're not in bankruptcy) is that they can sue you for the full amount of your loan, but give up their rights to the car (although they might be able to still take the car under a court judgment if the car is worth more than $5,000)."

http://www.mnpdebt.ca/en/personal/bl...-sue-law-in-bc

When I could not make payments on my car loan back in 2008 and had it repoed once the car was gone, I never heard a thing from the lender again, and 3 years later still nothing, and the lawyer I asked in BC about this, stated the same thing as the 2 links above.

It will hurt your credit, but if your not coming back to Canada anytime soon, that may not be a concern for you.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 7th 2011 at 4:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.