Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Learning to drive in Canada vs. UK (and swapping UK prov. licence in Alberta)

Learning to drive in Canada vs. UK (and swapping UK prov. licence in Alberta)

Old Apr 5th 2023, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

palish_koto_4000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Learning to drive in Canada vs. UK (and swapping UK prov. licence in Alberta)

Hi all,

I've had my COPR through and I need to arrive in Canada by this October. I don't have many ties here in the UK so not too much to sort out.

One thing however is that annoyingly I actually don't have a full driving licence, which I know is a bit of an obstacle/limiting in Canada.

I'm currently taking lessons here in the UK and I have a test booked for 28th July but frankly if I fail first time, I will be stuffed with trying to get another test because of huge backlogs.

So I'm wondering what the situation is like in Canada (specifically Calgary) and whether I might as well move earlier than July and finish lessons there instead.

From what I can see in Alberta the process is Class 7 -> 12 months of holding Class 7 and test -> Class 5 -> two years of probationary Class 5 -> full Class 5.

My question then is a) has anyone exchanged a UK provisional licence in Alberta and if so, did they take into account your time of holding that licence for the 12 months of Class 7, so I could just finish lessons and take the test in a relatively short period for a Class 5, or would I end up waiting another 12 months until I could do so?

If the former, then it might be something I'd consider rather than waiting around in the UK until summer on the chance of getting my licence here; if the latter, then obviously it makes much more sense to finish lessons in the UK and delay moving until the end of summer!
Old Apr 5th 2023, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Learning to drive in Canada vs. UK (and swapping UK prov. licence in Alberta

Originally Posted by palish_koto_4000
Hi all,

I've had my COPR through and I need to arrive in Canada by this October. I don't have many ties here in the UK so not too much to sort out.

One thing however is that annoyingly I actually don't have a full driving licence, which I know is a bit of an obstacle/limiting in Canada.

I'm currently taking lessons here in the UK and I have a test booked for 28th July but frankly if I fail first time, I will be stuffed with trying to get another test because of huge backlogs.

So I'm wondering what the situation is like in Canada (specifically Calgary) and whether I might as well move earlier than July and finish lessons there instead.

From what I can see in Alberta the process is Class 7 -> 12 months of holding Class 7 and test -> Class 5 -> two years of probationary Class 5 -> full Class 5.

My question then is a) has anyone exchanged a UK provisional licence in Alberta and if so, did they take into account your time of holding that licence for the 12 months of Class 7, so I could just finish lessons and take the test in a relatively short period for a Class 5, or would I end up waiting another 12 months until I could do so?

If the former, then it might be something I'd consider rather than waiting around in the UK until summer on the chance of getting my licence here; if the latter, then obviously it makes much more sense to finish lessons in the UK and delay moving until the end of summer!
In AB, whatever you do, you wont get and exchange license. If you come from the UK with less than 2 years full license experience. You will need to apply to the motor vehicle branch to recognise your experience and wait until they decide, which may exempt you from part of the GDL if your experience is accepted. There are two road tests in the GDL,

BC is pretty much the same. 12 months 7L learners, road test to get the N, if pass, 2 year 7 N novice, another road test to transition to Class 5. If you have formal driving lessons in BC, there is a 6 month reduction in the GLP from 2 years to 18 months.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to drive in Canada vs. UK (and swapping UK prov. licence in Alberta

Originally Posted by Hemlock
In AB, whatever you do, you wont get and exchange license. If you come from the UK with less than 2 years full license experience. You will need to apply to the motor vehicle branch to recognise your experience and wait until they decide, which may exempt you from part of the GDL if your experience is accepted. There are two road tests in the GDL,

BC is pretty much the same. 12 months 7L learners, road test to get the N, if pass, 2 year 7 N novice, another road test to transition to Class 5. If you have formal driving lessons in BC, there is a 6 month reduction in the GLP from 2 years to 18 months.
Alberta has recently done away with the advanced test, so there is only one test now.