Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Learn to drive over here or over there?

Learn to drive over here or over there?

Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Learn to drive over here or over there?

We are heading for New Brunswick, and my partner has decided she needs to be able to drive. So, is it easier (and cheaper) to learn and take the test in England, then swap the license when we get there, or learn and take the test over in Canada?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future
Default Re: Learn to drive over here or over there?

that depends if New Brunswick has an agreement with the uk.
in BC you could only drive for two or three months on a uk license and then you had to retake the test.
BC (maybe all of Canada) has certain agreements with countries in which you can exchange your license like for like but the UK is not one of them.
i know alot of the asian countries don't have to redo their test when they go to BC.

if she learns in the uk, it means she will at least understand the rules of the road and how to control a car but when you move to NB she will need to learn how to drive on the other side of the road which may be difficult for a newly qualified driver. on an easier note most people drive automatics so it's just like go karting!

it's probably six of one and half a doazen of the other.

it's pretty expensive to learn in UK. whereas in Canda i think most people learn from friends and family and not paid lessons.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

My daughter will wait until we get to Canada to learn. Because we are going to BC we have to all take driving tests again anyway. We will also probably have a few lessons before taking the test to get used to automatic cars and Canadian highway code, driving in Canada etc.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:41 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
My daughter will wait until we get to Canada to learn. Because we are going to BC we have to all take driving tests again anyway. We will also probably have a few lessons before taking the test to get used to automatic cars and Canadian highway code, driving in Canada etc.
I seem to remember there being a mock test online. Just do it over and over and the info goes in. Also used a mock test for the citizenship application. It works wonders.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that Londonuck!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

I had no problems exchanging my UK licence for a New Brunswick one. Just turned up at the local NB Services office - showed my passport and my Bank Card - had my photo taken in the office and the card was ready in ten minutes. Pain free except for the $40 fee but it does last for 5 years .
They do keep the UK licence - both parts, the photo card and the paper endorsement sheet.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Graham-H
I had no problems exchanging my UK licence for a New Brunswick one. Just turned up at the local NB Services office - showed my passport and my Bank Card - had my photo taken in the office and the card was ready in ten minutes. Pain free except for the $40 fee but it does last for 5 years .
They do keep the UK licence - both parts, the photo card and the paper endorsement sheet.

Why on earth do they keep your UK licence????
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Graham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant futureGraham-H has a brilliant future

I asked them the same question !! Their reply was " it is a licence exchange scheme and is only possible if you are a permanent resident in New Brunswick " I was lucky that the only proof of residence required was a Canadian bank account and not a permanent resident card !!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:13 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was younger i tried to get my license in the UK. Spent something daft like 10 quid a lesson, had a ton of them and failed - twice. The investment of time and money was staggering.

Went to BC, had one lesson, read the book and passed - no problems. I do feel though, that the lessons in the uk made me a better driver, despite having never passed the test in the UK. I drive on my BC licence when i visit the uk.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

Also, even in a province like Ontario where you can now swap a UK licence for a local one, you still need a minimum of 2 years expereince on your existing licence. So it would depend how long you thought it would be until you move. If you are thinking more than 2 years then it might be worth it as having the experience on the foreign licence can also let you skip some parts of graduated licence schemes. If you are moving in the next two years though it probably would just be confusing to learn to drive a right hand drive car with UK rules then flip to a left hand drive and Canadian rules.
When I moved to Ontario it was before they let you swap the licence and so had to retake my test and having 2+ years experience let me skip the graduated licence program (which takes a couple of years to complete normally) and just take the final road test and get a full licence.
Incidentally they didn't keep my UK one back then, I asked them and they had a list of countries and the UK wasn't on it. So I presume that they only keep licences if you swap them, rather than if you take a test and 'earn' the new one as it were.
I actually think it was worthwhile taking a couple of lessons and a road test here when I moved as it was a good way to familiarize yoruself with all the local rules and get a refresher on good driving techniques, especially here with winter driving etc.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

smog73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest-if they take your UK licence in Canada, when you come back (ie holiday or if return) to UK how long can you drive without swapping back. Or do you have to retake your UK test?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peterlee_flyer
We are heading for New Brunswick, and my partner has decided she needs to be able to drive. So, is it easier (and cheaper) to learn and take the test in England, then swap the license when we get there, or learn and take the test over in Canada?
I would say over there. Even if you learn in UK, it's different over there and you have to get used to new signs etc all over again. I cant speak for the whole of canada, but i found it much easier to drive to my job from montreal to Huntingdon each day, I drove from Toronto to Windsor as well and found that few hour drive so much more relaxing than when i drive on motorways in UK
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dboy
When I was younger i tried to get my license in the UK. Spent something daft like 10 quid a lesson, had a ton of them and failed - twice. The investment of time and money was staggering.

Went to BC, had one lesson, read the book and passed - no problems. I do feel though, that the lessons in the uk made me a better driver, despite having never passed the test in the UK. I drive on my BC licence when i visit the uk.

Rememer to let us know next time you're visiting UK!!!!!!!!lol
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant futureDave and Jo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Graham-H
I asked them the same question !! Their reply was " it is a licence exchange scheme and is only possible if you are a permanent resident in New Brunswick " I was lucky that the only proof of residence required was a Canadian bank account and not a permanent resident card !!
Graham-H, thats interesting re NB exchange.
In NS you have to re take your test after 90 days of driving on your UK licence.
What stops people driving from NS to NB with UK driving licence, exchanging it and returning to NS....no test required?....or can you just drive in NB on their licence?
Any thoughts?
Dave and Jo
{moving out to NS in August}
Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

goodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant futuregoodpikey has a brilliant future

although it seems strange to us, but every province has it's own laws and regulations regarding driving.
and remember you can turn right on a red light if it's safe to do so!!
at least in vancouver you can!
seems crazy to us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.