Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is a lawyer/consultant helpful or needed to come to Canada?

Wikiposts

Is a lawyer/consultant helpful or needed to come to Canada?

Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is a lawyer/consultant helpful or needed to come to Canada?

We are wondering whether we should just hire someone to help us come back to Canada. I am Canadian but my husband is from Scotland. Can anyone explain the need for an immigration consultant? We dont foresee any problems ahead of us, but the whole process is very daunting and we don't want to waste unecessary time.

Can anyone tell me who they know or how to find out about an immigration consultant, and one that is legitimate, authorised and in good standing? Anyone with personal experiences good or bad? send me a message!

thank you all
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:28 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a lawyer/consultant helpful or needed to come to Canada?

No need, Not if you have a simple case, which if you are canadian sponsoring your husband it seems you do. There is lots of help and advice here from those who have troden a well worn path before you.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

But would a lawyer/consultant help to speed things up? We havent a clue really how to start. I know that sounds lame. I just can't face the forms and would love for someone else to do it all for me.
Originally Posted by iaink
No need, Not if you have a simple case, which if you are canadian sponsoring your husband it seems you do. There is lots of help and advice here from those who have troden a well worn path before you.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie123
But would a lawyer/consultant help to speed things up? We havent a clue really how to start. I know that sounds lame. I just can't face the forms and would love for someone else to do it all for me.
They could speed up the form filling. Having filled in/out the forms before might cut the time from three hours to one but they can't speed the overall process. Since one of you is Canadian I would guess the slowest thing will be the police checks, best to get those in the works and then move on to all the other forms.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:44 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

But would a lawyer/consultant help to speed things up?
No, probably not, may even slow it down.

We havent a clue really how to start. I know that sounds lame. I just can't face the forms and would love for someone else to do it all for me.
Filling in the forms is the easy bit, gathering the information is difficult and time consuming.

There are plenty of people willing to help on t'internet but I'd suggest you use the immigration forum on this website, not Lifestyle & Culture (people will get p*ssed off if you bug them with immigration questions :scared: )

At the end of the day you probably will make a few mistakes, omissions or inconsistencies (assuming you are human) but CHC will either interview you or ask for clarification/futher information to resolve them.

Ian.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Mr B was in charge of our forms, he wanted sponsoring so I made him do the work I hadn't found this forum then so we had no outside help.

He's no fan of form-filling but his only mistake was sending the initial package to London instead of Mississauga. That cost him 3wks. I think lawyers cost 3,000... would 3wks delay have been worth 3,000 to us? Nope.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:51 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

We are wondering whether we should just hire someone to help us come back to Canada. I am Canadian but my husband is from Scotland. Can anyone explain the need for an immigration consultant? We dont foresee any problems ahead of us, but the whole process is very daunting and we don't want to waste unecessary time.

Can anyone tell me who they know or how to find out about an immigration consultant, and one that is legitimate, authorised and in good standing? Anyone with personal experiences good or bad? send me a message!

thank you all

I wouldn't bother I was quoted Ā£5,000 for mine and I decided no way was I paying that and you have a better case as your Canadian so I don't think you'll have any problems.

Emma
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:52 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone explain the need for an immigration consultant?
No ... no need at all.

Follow the guides, collect all the required information, and be prepared to back it up with evidence, and you won't have a problem.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:00 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

We completed our own application forms when we applied for permanent residence in Canada.

When we subsequently went on expat assignments to the USA and Australia, my husband's employer hired immigration lawyers to handle his work permit applications and the other family members' temporary residence permit applications. In each case the lawyer handed us a list of documents we had to produce. Although the lawyer ensured that all the i's were dotted and t's crossed, it still took effort for us to assemble the required documents. I believe you will find that, if you retain an immigration consultant, you still will need to do a lot of legwork yourself, as other posters have indicated.

Here is the page of Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website that explains Family Class Immigration.

In one of your other posts you mention a son of college age. If he was born outside of Canada after February 14, 1977, he is entitled to Canadian citizenship by virtue of having you as a mother. If you have not already done so, there is paperwork you will need to complete to confirm his Canadian citizenship.

Finally, having learned from JAJ (Jeremy), I'll point out that, if you have not already acquired British citizenship for yourself, it would be useful for you to do so before you leave the UK. If you become a British citizen now, it will give you the freedom to return to the UK for extended stays or permanently, should you ever want to do so, regardless of what happens to your husband between now and then. You may think you'd have no reason to return to the UK, but you have no idea what the future holds. Your son could return to the UK at some point, for example, and you might want to visit him for an extended period.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jul 13th 2006 at 9:14 am. Reason: To add comments about son's Canadian citizenship and your British citizenship
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

thank you all
I visited a immigration consultant before immigration to Canada. My wife did the paperwork and we saved 3000 pounds. If you can do your own tax returns you do not need a consultant.

I think you could need one if you have problems, i.e criminal conviction or can not show where all your large funds are from if you get my drift.

hudd
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Thats helpful people. But just to be on the safe side, can someone suggest a consultant or lawyer? or is that not the done thing on this forum. I am not up on the protocol of this forum yet. I just want to know where i would find one that is "qualified" and above board, if you know what i mean. I have a few outstanding things i need to ask a consultant, about me, actually, and not about my husband. I dont think the hubby is going to be the problem here.

Is there a way to find a consultant who is registered and who one can trust, say via this board or through the government? I would prefer not to spill my guts to you all about my particular "issue", but would like some advice, either legal or otherwise about what to do.

you guys are great!!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:25 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Thats helpful people. But just to be on the safe side, can someone suggest a consultant or lawyer? or is that not the done thing on this forum. I am not up on the protocol of this forum yet. I just want to know where i would find one that is "qualified" and above board, if you know what i mean. I have a few outstanding things i need to ask a consultant, about me, actually, and not about my husband. I dont think the hubby is going to be the problem here.

Is there a way to find a consultant who is registered and who one can trust, say via this board or through the government? I would prefer not to spill my guts to you all about my particular "issue", but would like some advice, either legal or otherwise about what to do.

you guys are great!!
Although I have not used their services myself, Andrew Miller and Jim Humphries, who post in the Immigration - Canada forum of British Expats, both have very good reputations.

There also have been several other discussion threads in which people have named the immigration consultants whom they have used, along with reports of whether the experiences have been positive or negative. Some of those threads are in the Canada - Immigration forum.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Ok, thank you all. very very helpful.
Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Although I have not used their services myself, Andrew Miller and Jim Humphries, who post in the Immigration - Canada forum of British Expats, both have very good reputations.

There also have been several other discussion threads in which people have named the immigration consultants whom they have used, along with reports of whether the experiences have been positive or negative. Some of those threads are in the Canada - Immigration forum.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a matter of interest - CIC have just changed things re application. There's an interesting discussion on the Immigration board about it: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384454