Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Nerves

Last Minute Nerves

Old Jan 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Last Minute Nerves

Originally Posted by hellcats
Me. I play over here and can't wait to live in Canada so I can play more.
Wey hey!! I'd start a new thread, but bet it would only be the two of us on it.

PM sent!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Wey hey!! I'd start a new thread, but bet it would only be the two of us on it.

PM sent!
ha ha...I love hockey but don't play it. But have to force hubby to watch it as he can't understand either why anybody would want to watch anything else but football
Really want to go to Scotiabank arena to watch a game, maybe have to blindfold him and say we go to a "soccer" match
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
And in my opinion I'd rather be poor in Canada than poor in the UK, especially in the current climat.
I strongly disagree with this. The urban poor in Canada live on the street eating whatever handouts they can get from charities. It gets cold in Canada and some freeze to death every winter. The charities are usually connected with a religion so the soup comes with indoctrination. The rural poor have it worse. In the UK there's a social safety net and one must go back to the Dickensian era to find examples of people in London living as the poor in Toronto do now.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I strongly disagree with this. The urban poor in Canada live on the street eating whatever handouts they can get from charities. It gets cold in Canada and some freeze to death every winter. The charities are usually connected with a religion so the soup comes with indoctrination. The rural poor have it worse. In the UK there's a social safety net and one must go back to the Dickensian era to find examples of people in London living as the poor in Toronto do now.
ok, maybe I should have said then I'd rather live on $40k than on £26k. But that's just my opinion.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by beckybev
Oh wow, we're actually in Preesall, over Wyre but that's probably just as far going in the other direction. We should go for that beer both before and afterwards so that we can compare stories!!!
It's a pretty intense roller coaster of emotions. I freak out about it on a fairly regular basis but I know we'll be fine because we've done our homework. It's great to know that we're not the only ones in the area going through the same thing.
Becky
We should start a north westerners club, lol!
Southport here and applying through SINP family class as my cousin lives in saskatchewan (yes, i know it's cold and flat! lol). We're coming over ( wife and 2 young boys) with pretty much 4 suitcases and a pocketful of cash. We're lucky though as having family is going to help immensely in helping us settle in.
Just waiting for that pesky job offer, I have experience as an Autobody painter, plasterer and currently a HGV Class1 driver. Trying to convince someone to hire you from over the pond is not as easy as i thought though!
Good luck.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

ok, maybe I should have said then I'd rather live on $40k than on £26k. But that's just my opinion.
I understood what you meant!

On the other note... maybe we should start a hockey thread...that's three of us now.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kaye5
maybe we should start a hockey thread...that's three of us now.
I'm up for that

When and where will you move? You probably said before...sorry :-)

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Jan 28th 2011 at 1:50 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm up for that

When and where will you move? You probably said before...sorry :-)
I've PM'd you!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly how you feel. We had our 1 way flights & flight for dog booked (deposits paid) leaving Manchester last July, flying to Toronto & settling for the Peterborough / Lindsay area (Kawartha Lakes), where we have family we have visited a number of times (living in the Bethany area).
We got our PR status in October 2009, landed in April 2010, when we returned to the UK after our landing trip we let our nerves get the better of us & cancelled everything, lost all deposits.
We are now re-considering & looking to move April 2011, or sooner if I where to lose my job.
We now wish we had the conviction to stick with our original plan.
we have a daughter aged 12 (in second year senior school).
Being from just outside Liverpool we should be able to join your northwest club.
Good luck.

Remember you are not giving up being British, you are just adding something more.

Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Hi peter-g

I remember your post last year when you were unsure as to what to do. I'm glad you've made the decision to continue with plan A.
You definitely make the cut for the North Westerners club!! We go past Peterbrough on our way to Lake St Peter. Kawartha must be where that lovely dairy place is.
Good luck with the move and keep us posted on your progress
Becky
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:20 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Can I join the North West Club please? I'm originally from under the shadow of the Winter Hill TV Mast!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

Okay, I must admit that I had to google that one. You definitely qualify for the NW club
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:50 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckybev
Okay, I must admit that I had to google that one. You definitely qualify for the NW club
Yipee! Do we get biscuits?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by peter-g
I know exactly how you feel. We had our 1 way flights & flight for dog booked (deposits paid) leaving Manchester last July, flying to Toronto & settling for the Peterborough / Lindsay area (Kawartha Lakes), where we have family we have visited a number of times (living in the Bethany area).
We got our PR status in October 2009, landed in April 2010, when we returned to the UK after our landing trip we let our nerves get the better of us & cancelled everything, lost all deposits.
We are now re-considering & looking to move April 2011, or sooner if I where to lose my job.
We now wish we had the conviction to stick with our original plan.
we have a daughter aged 12 (in second year senior school).
Being from just outside Liverpool we should be able to join your northwest club.
Good luck.

Remember you are not giving up being British, you are just adding something more.

Hi PeterG,

I know how you feel, we landed last July and have our removals, dogs and our flights booked for May this year, biggest problems for us are our house isnt selling for what we need/want, can't afford to let it go for less than what it is up for so we have a plan B , mother in law is going to rent it from us long term so we will have to rent in Canada with dogs, not easy but doable
Now our biggest problems are leaving good jobs to finding jobs in Canada, hopefully we will have this sorted before we move and then finally we have to save money for a deposit since we are not selling house for a while, the plan is to keep renting our house till the prices rise again and it will be there for our retirement as we have little or no pension to speak of.
Big move, big decision but deep breath time and take the plunge, lifes too short to be thinking "what if"
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

peter-g is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Yipee! Do we get biscuits?
And tea, and can we dip our biscuits in our tea?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.