Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last Minute Nerves

Last Minute Nerves

Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last Minute Nerves

I agree with everyone else about last minute nerves and wish you all the best.

However, if I were you, most of my nerves would be directed at income. Will your wife be working too in the near future? Moving over with two children - with all the set up costs that entails - to a $40k job would have me very nervous.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:44 am
Banned

razaabbas is an unknown quantity at this point

i am quite happy to join this
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Cato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really nice

Thanks Ann,

I do have approximately $27K to go with and a further £160K-$170K to follow when house sells. Also my salary rises to $55K after four months. We know things will be tight for the first couple of years. The thing is I'm 36 now and have worked ever since leaving school and during that time I have never really needed to watch the pennies so I may need a calculator. My wife will find work after the first year as she wants to settle the kids first.

Would that change your mind from very nervous to perhaps slightly apprehensive.

Your advice is welcomed.

Cato1669
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cato1669
Would that change your mind from very nervous to perhaps slightly apprehensive.
Yes

Have you got anything in writing? For example is this after satisfactorily completing a probationary period, or something like that. $55k is getting more respectable, but you still won't be able to go mad. It's those pesky "little people" in the household - they sure can be expensive. Even an additional part-time job will pay for the groceries - that's what we did for the first two years. It was tight but do-able, and as long as you have a realistic goal in sight, then I really do wish you all the best ...
Old Jan 14th 2011, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

yeah my house has been on the markt 10 months now...dropped the price 10% and still nothing. It's just not moving. I am losing faith. Cheshire UK.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 5:23 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I currently live in the North West of England with my wife and two children (8 & 6) and have been planning moving to Canada for 6 years. I have secured a job in Newmarket Ontario starting early April.

The pay is starts at $40K progressing through to $90K after 6 years or so. I am starting to get very nervous for a couple of reasons. My house in England still remains unsold although it has only been on the market for three months. My estate agent has told me not to worry as it's in a nice area, reasonably priced and ready to walk into. I can afford the mortgage for approximately 9-12 months before things would get hairy!

I would come to Canada with approximately $27K and then another $160K-$170K when the house sells.

So why am I getting last minute nerves. We have friends in Newmarket, Markham and Toronto but still nervous about moving. I guess it's make your mind up time.

Any advice would really calm me down.

Cato1669
It is actually normal and it's even recognised as being positive. It is referred to as eustress:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eustress
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

northerndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nicenortherndave is just really nice

Well I actually handed my notice in today! 12 years and there you go, it was abit of an anticlimax really.
But yes it is natural to be nervous, were having sleepless nights and all manner of "are we doing the right thing". Well possible, we are not selling the house (dont need to) but also if it doesnt work out then we just come back and carry on from whence we left, but atleast we/you tried it.

I would rent your place out to start with to make sure it all works out.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Cato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really niceCato1669 is just really nice

Northern Dave,

Yeah, I coming around to thinking of renting out. It will be all well and good as we're currently on a variable rate and our mortgage is peanuts so renting will make us a bit of money (which will get swallowed up in Ontario) but as soon as interest rates increase (and they will) that's when things might get hairy!

I am a cautious person but I look at my children everyday and I know that if I don't give this a go, I will regret it for the rest of my life.

There's always parents right if a few quid/bucks are needed in the short term!

Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I agree with everyone else about last minute nerves and wish you all the best.

However, if I were you, most of my nerves would be directed at income. Will your wife be working too in the near future? Moving over with two children - with all the set up costs that entails - to a $40k job would have me very nervous.
...although Newmarket Ontario may be a cheaper cost of living than Calgary AB .... I'd agree with Ann about living on that sort of income here in Calgary ....
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:40 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I still fail to see the appeal of Ontario over anywhere decent in England - and I quite like it here.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andrewhatton
Hi

I made the decision to move to work in Toronto in October having never been here before and just spent 3 weeks checking out the job and area (although living in Oakville). I staretd my new job (although it was an intercompnay transfer) in December. The family are moving out in February and we have signed a 12 month lease on a house in Oakville. We too are from the North West, a little town called Congleton in Cheshire. We are also struggling to sell our house but it has only been on the market for 3 months and we have it 25k less than it should be sold for. The housing market in the UK is pretty poor at the moment. We have only had one viewing in the 3 months. It is a lovely 4 bed detached but noone seems to be buyinig at the moment. If we dont have any offers by the time the family move in Feb we will look to rent as this will cover the mortgage payment. Also keep it up for sale at the same time although having sitting tenants will make it more difficult to sell.

I really love Canada, especially Oakville and Toronto. Almost everyone is really welcoming and helpful and the level of service you receive from staff in the shops and restaurants is far better than the usual surly attitude of those in the UK.

I have only been here 6 weeks (I was back in UK for Christmas) and i have got my Social Insurance Number (15 minutes), bank account (1 hour), canadian driving licence (1 hour), leased a car (this was more difficult as most places do not take your UK credit history in to account but Ford sorted me out in the end after being turned down by Nissan and VW), car insurance (I used Johnsons as they took my UK experience into account - you need letter from insurance company with no claims record and summary of driving record from DVLA. This costs 5 pounds from DVLA. Although insurance on a new Ford Escape is $1900 per year, others were quoting $4000 per year so beware of the cost of car insurance in Ontario). I will be getting my health card this weekend and will be applying for PR in the next few weeks.

Forget to say we have 3 children (16, 9 , 3 - the third being an OOPS!).

If you need any further advice/help/assitance then send me a message and i will reply. i know how daunting it can all seem but I think it is worthwhile.

There is snow everywhere at the moment and about -10C in Toronto.

Good luck
Hi there

We are looking to rent in Burlington, we have family in Oakville (lovely place), so it's not too far away. We are just waiting to hear back from our medicals and hopefully if everything goes to plan we think we will be coming over in May. We are looking arenting our house in England and renting in Canada for 1 year to see how the jobs go, but your advice is just what we have been discussing about car rental, so thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

I currently live in the North West of England with my wife and two children (8 & 6) and have been planning moving to Canada for 6 years. I have secured a job in Newmarket Ontario starting early April.

The pay is starts at $40K progressing through to $90K after 6 years or so. I am starting to get very nervous for a couple of reasons. My house in England still remains unsold although it has only been on the market for three months. My estate agent has told me not to worry as it's in a nice area, reasonably priced and ready to walk into. I can afford the mortgage for approximately 9-12 months before things would get hairy!

I would come to Canada with approximately $27K and then another $160K-$170K when the house sells.

So why am I getting last minute nerves. We have friends in Newmarket, Markham and Toronto but still nervous about moving. I guess it's make your mind up time.

Any advice would really calm me down.

Cato1669
Hi, we moved April last year and after waiting months to get the LMO and being really excited about the move, I burst into tears when hubbie rang me to say, we finally got the ok and can pack. I think as soon as it's not a dream anymore but real you start thinking if you have done the right thing. That is normal and human.
I really like it here now and wouldn't want to go back.
You did everything you could, find an area you like, a job and put the house on the market, so don't worry.
Have you thought about renting it out. In the current market maybe the better option.
Good luck, you'll be fine
Old Jan 16th 2011, 1:53 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a cautious person but I look at my children everyday and I know that if I don't give this a go, I will regret it for the rest of my life.
Can I ask why?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Cause Canada has much more opportunities than Blighty! The UK will be in serious trouble in a few years. Overcrowded for a start!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:18 pm
Happy Helper

Buddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud ofBuddyboy has much to be proud of

To all you last minute nervous nellies, don't sweat it. If you discover the same Canada that we did 36 years ago you will absolutely love it. I am retired now but my wife and I still enjoy traveling and discovering what is here. It's a vast country with great people and, importantly, great opportunities. Manage your finances carefully and it's a land of plenty. Good luck to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.