Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last minute jitters

Wikiposts

Last minute jitters

Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

eeynmre has a spectacular aura abouteeynmre has a spectacular aura abouteeynmre has a spectacular aura about
Default Last minute jitters

Hi Guys,

I've been drifting in and out of these forums for a while now, whilst I've been planning my Canadian odyssey and it's all gone swimmingly well so far. Got my PR, conducted a couple of recce trips (Toronto and Calgary), and now I've been offered a job, and a good job at that in Waterloo. I should be on top of the world right now, but strangley I'm feeling rather trepadated by the whole thing. I want to live in Canada as much as I want to leave England, but now I've got to hand in my notice in the UK, book shippers, deal with seperation from family and find a place to live out there it all seems so absolute...

I probably just being a big girls blouse about the whole thing and need to pull myself together. I'm not going to ask if anyone else had these feelings as I'm sure everyone has/had to a lesser or greater degree but I am going to ask did most people get over this quickly, or is it something that lingers long term?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mark
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

PhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant futurePhilJillMaxJoe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Last minute jitters

Hi Mark

Just remember that the world is a very small place now a days.

Good luck with everything Mark and well done on landing a job before immigrating.

If its any consolation I have the exact same thoughts as you about leaving the UK and we are only thinking about it at the moment.

High Five Mark !!!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

carolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nicecarolyn_vdv is just really nice

I don't think it would be normal if you didn't have the jitters. I am sure most people who have been through this before would confirm that.
I think you can take great comfort in the fact you have a job to go to. I am experiencing the same jitters but I know it is a nervousness of the unknown as the move to Canada is something I am really looking forward to.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:54 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

I think you'd have to be superhuman with no family and friends whatsoever to not have these thoughts. From what I've read on here, practically everyone will get these jitters at some point during the application/moving process. A friend of mine now living in Canada said the most sensible thing (IMO anyway), when I asked her how she handled saying goodbye to the UK/friends/family. She said she wouldn't let herself see her move as permanent. She kept telling herself that no matter what happens, she can come back if it doesn't work out - it may be expensive and a huge PITA to do so, but that option would always be there. I think that is a great way to look at things. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:17 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by engineer80
A friend of mine now living in Canada said the most sensible thing (IMO anyway), when I asked her how she handled saying goodbye to the UK/friends/family. She said she wouldn't let herself see her move as permanent. She kept telling herself that no matter what happens, she can come back if it doesn't work out - it may be expensive and a huge PITA to do so, but that option would always be there. I think that is a great way to look at things. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

I like this way of thinking

5 weeks today until we fly to Halifax and I'm feeling very anxious now. The sensible side of me is saying that it'll all be fine, but the irrational side refuses to agree and is insistant that it's all going to go tits up

Good luck with your big move Mark, I hope the feelings of trepidation pass quickly once you're settled
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:59 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Stonedog
I like this way of thinking

5 weeks today until we fly to Halifax and I'm feeling very anxious now. The sensible side of me is saying that it'll all be fine, but the irrational side refuses to agree and is insistant that it's all going to go tits up

Good luck with your big move Mark, I hope the feelings of trepidation pass quickly once you're settled
You will Love it NS is fantastic, and the UK is only 6 hrs away, no worst than driving from London to Scotland. Have fun, you will not regret it whatever happens.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:28 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
You will Love it NS is fantastic, and the UK is only 6 hrs away, no worst than driving from London to Scotland. Have fun, you will not regret it whatever happens.
Just considerably more expensive and less easy to do for short notice or in an emergency.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

eeynmre has a spectacular aura abouteeynmre has a spectacular aura abouteeynmre has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Just considerably more expensive and less easy to do for short notice or in an emergency.
More troublesome certainly but not so sure about more expensive, what would a peak hours same day rail ticket from Aberdeen or Inverness to London cost these days?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 12:59 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Which is preferable - trying out a new adventure, or staying where you are and forever wondering what it would have been like had you been brave enough to do it?
Keep focused on the reasons why you applied to emigrate initially and remember you're not a prisoner in Canada if you get an overwhelming desire to return. Make a list of the good things and the bad things about moving so that you can determine better exactly what your concerns are.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

1. Try and differentiate between jitters and nerves, versus wholly gut-reaction misgivings. It's most likely the jitters and yes, we've all had them, and it keeps you on your toes.

2. Put in your brain that this is a two-year adventure, and you're trying it all out to see if it fits. It will take the pressure off
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:09 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeynmre
More troublesome certainly but not so sure about more expensive, what would a peak hours same day rail ticket from Aberdeen or Inverness to London cost these days?
Isn't the point that if needs must, most could get in their car and drive from Aberdeen or Inverness to London? Not an option from Canada. For pedantry purposes, National Rail enquiries gives a single ticket from Inverness to London leaving tommorrow at GBP 123.50 (approx CAD$200). By comparision, if you wanted/needed to travel on Air Canada from Halifax tommorrow returning a week later it would cost you CAD$2600.

Ok, so it's peak season for flights and you will get a lower cost out of season (unlikely to be much less than $700), but the point is if you absolutely needed to travel tommorrow, it would cost you a (relative) fortune. That's one of the prices we all potentially pay for living in Canada.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:14 am
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by ann m
2. Put in your brain that this is a two-year adventure, and you're trying it all out to see if it fits. It will take the pressure off
This is an excellent suggestion. My brain thinks that I'm on a rolling x year adventure and doesn't discount the possibility of moving back. It helps me get through life.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:23 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

This is an excellent suggestion. My brain thinks that I'm on a rolling x year adventure and doesn't discount the possibility of moving back. It helps me get through life.
That's what works for me also.

Some days I love it here and think I'll never leave, some days I still want to get on a flight and return. Fortunately the good days outweigh the bad.

We met several couples over the last 4 years that were 100% committed to the move; would never ever go back; and were going to spend the rest of their lives in Canada. Every one of them has left and gone back home. A flexible attitude is key IMO.

If there's one lesson to be learned from emigration it's that nothing is forever.

Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:22 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the point that if needs must, most could get in their car and drive from Aberdeen or Inverness to London? Not an option from Canada. For pedantry purposes, National Rail enquiries gives a single ticket from Inverness to London leaving tommorrow at GBP 123.50 (approx CAD$200). By comparision, if you wanted/needed to travel on Air Canada from Halifax tommorrow returning a week later it would cost you CAD$2600.

Ok, so it's peak season for flights and you will get a lower cost out of season (unlikely to be much less than $700), but the point is if you absolutely needed to travel tommorrow, it would cost you a (relative) fortune. That's one of the prices we all potentially pay for living in Canada.
Partially correct. The interesting thing is that the flight to LHR tomorrow is relatively cheap and open. Its the getting back bit from LHR that is expensive. These days (generally) last minute tickets are no more expensive than advance purchase. It all depends how busy the flight is. There is no automatic price increase for booking the day before.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 2:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eeynmre
Hi Guys,

I've been drifting in and out of these forums for a while now, whilst I've been planning my Canadian odyssey and it's all gone swimmingly well so far. Got my PR, conducted a couple of recce trips (Toronto and Calgary), and now I've been offered a job, and a good job at that in Waterloo. I should be on top of the world right now, but strangley I'm feeling rather trepadated by the whole thing. I want to live in Canada as much as I want to leave England, but now I've got to hand in my notice in the UK, book shippers, deal with seperation from family and find a place to live out there it all seems so absolute...

I probably just being a big girls blouse about the whole thing and need to pull myself together. I'm not going to ask if anyone else had these feelings as I'm sure everyone has/had to a lesser or greater degree but I am going to ask did most people get over this quickly, or is it something that lingers long term?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Mark
It's the moment when a dream becomes reality.

Some people embrace the transition, most enter reality with trepidation, and others realise a dream should remain just that. You need to work out which one is you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.