Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last minute flight question

Last minute flight question

Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Last minute flight question

Hi everyone.

I would just like to know if airlines still allow you to just turn up at the airport and get on the plane on the same day without booking?

If so, does anyone know if they discount the flights or do they cost the same as what you would pay if you booked online?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Last minute flight question

yes, you can certainly just turn up at the airport and buy a ticket for a flight, be prepared to pay through the nose for it though. If there is availability it will generally only be the most expensive seats left on the aircraft, airlines won't negociate the price either(thats how they make money!)
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
Hi everyone.

I would just like to know if airlines still allow you to just turn up at the airport and get on the plane on the same day without booking?

If so, does anyone know if they discount the flights or do they cost the same as what you would pay if you booked online?

Thanks
All carriers try and overbook a flight by up to 10%, so the some routes are quite often booked, especially weekends (Fri-Sun). What price you pay depends on what is available, last minute seats usually cost more (often a lot more). API requirements make last minute much harder for carriers and last minute pax cause delays, which is more expensive than an empty seat.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 5:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
All carriers try and overbook a flight by up to 10%, so the some routes are quite often booked, especially weekends (Fri-Sun). What price you pay depends on what is available, last minute seats usually cost more (often a lot more). API requirements make last minute much harder for carriers and last minute pax cause delays, which is more expensive than an empty seat.
Yet, I've been on standby many times. Mostly successfully.

Once I turned up at the airport a day late and the airline still let me on without extra charge. Flight was at 12:06am so I got the date wrong - I was flying a lot then and was blase about that kind of minor detail.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:12 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone.

Thanks
In this day and age with online immediate booking etc, i don't see why people would need to do this.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
In this day and age with online immediate booking etc, i don't see why people would need to do this.
True. I missed a flight to Hanoi once because I got home drunk at 5am and the flight was at 7:30 and rather than going straight to the airport I decided to have 30 minutes kip. I got on the next flight by phoning them up and buying a new ticket.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:20 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Many routes these days do not have tickets that require advance purchase. If seats are available in the booking class, then you will pay the same - whether you booked weeks in advance or on the same day. Obviously on popular routes and at peak times flights will fill up and then you will only find more expensive seats available. Airlines can also remove seats in particular fare buckets as they manage the load on each flight to maximise revenue. As always, generally, a return ticket will be cheaper.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:28 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the point is, instead of chancing your luck and potentially wasting time travelling and waiting at the airport, and if you have access to internet, simply log in and have a quick look. Takes 2 minutes.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:13 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
True. I missed a flight to Hanoi once because I got home drunk at 5am and the flight was at 7:30 and rather than going straight to the airport I decided to have 30 minutes kip. I got on the next flight by phoning them up and buying a new ticket.
I had a similar experience at Heathrow. Missed the flight because I spent too long in the airport loo, as I fell asleep. After a few puzzled looks at the check out counter, as I'd checked in on time for my original flight, they put me on one two hours later, no extra charge.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:19 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Oink
I had a similar experience at Heathrow. Missed the flight because I spent too long in the airport loo, as I fell asleep. After a few puzzled looks at the check out counter, as I'd checked in on time for my original flight, they put me on one two hours later, no extra charge.
You must have flushed with embarrassment when they lavved at you. Hopefully they kept a lid on it............etc etc
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Missed the flight because I spent too long in the airport loo, as I fell asleep.
On the loo? Bet you felt flushed
Old Oct 24th 2010, 9:27 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by The Aviator
On the loo? Bet you felt flushed
Post #10
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the responses.

I only ask because I may wake up one day and decide I want to go to Canada. I'm not into planning anything at the moment as I don't know how I will feel one day to the next.

Prices online are nearly £500 a ticket!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:07 pm
Beep

Bargain!!
Old Oct 25th 2010, 5:20 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I only ask because I may wake up one day and decide I want to go to Canada. I'm not into planning anything at the moment as I don't know how I will feel one day to the next.

If you do decide, then it's worth a phone call to the airline rather than just turning up at the airport (unless you live really close by).

Originally Posted by el_richo
Bargain!!
If that's for YVR/LHR then yes - that's actually pretty good. No idea what's reasonable for elsewhere.