Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last few days in UK getting hard

Last few days in UK getting hard

Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last few days in UK getting hard

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I am flying out to Toronto on Friday.

My days are mainly full with working out what I can fit in my 30kg's luggage allowance with Thomas Cook Airlines and then binning other stuff or giving it away as my parents don't want it.

I also have to prepare the various landing items they require such as goods accompanying and goods to bring in.

The plan is to have most of it done tomorrow so on Thursday I can relax and go for one last look round Farnham, Surrey and enjoy a couple of local ales.

Another task to perform if you don't have a job is researching jobsites and potential employers which I have been doing.

I also have an interview tomorrow over Skype which is very new age!
Good luck James! I remember that procedure well!! the shoe horning of luggage - and I still paid 96quid for overweight baggage!

Oh and savour those ales!! there is certainly nothing as good as that over here! You will miss that - guaranteed!

Paul
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

I just said to hubbie yesterday that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone else coming to the airport with us, I just couldn't bear it!

I well up just thinking about it, and we don't even go for about another 12 -18 months (finance and job dependent)!

I have wanted this for nearly 10 years, so I AM going.... but I WILL cry
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
I just said to hubbie yesterday that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone else coming to the airport with us, I just couldn't bear it!
We thought exactly the same way, and decided we'd say our goodbyes then stay in a hotel in London for a few days before our flight. Saying goodbye was obviously difficult, but the time doing touristy things in London allowed us to catch our breath and think about what we were about to do. In retrospect, it really worked for us - it was refreshing knowing we had no more obligations in Britain, no house, no bills, no jobs, etc, and were all set for the next phase of our lives.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
We thought exactly the same way, and decided we'd say our goodbyes then stay in a hotel in London for a few days before our flight. Saying goodbye was obviously difficult, but the time doing touristy things in London allowed us to catch our breath and think about what we were about to do. In retrospect, it really worked for us - it was refreshing knowing we had no more obligations in Britain, no house, no bills, no jobs, etc, and were all set for the next phase of our lives.
That was a good idea Grendel, Im thinking I should have done something like that, however being single I dont suppose it would have been the same, and I probably would have felt worse on my own and still in my homeland. I can see how it worked for you though.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone else coming to the airport with us, I just couldn't bear it!

Couldn't agree more with that. Can you imagine it? Your mum saying "now do you want anything from Boots?? etc" as you prepare to go through departures. Hard enough thinking about the leaving party that my family have already decided to throw for us. It'll be very nice, but just focusing now on the mountain of admin that needs doing!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

johngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nicejohngrimes is just really nice

i also have an interview tomorrow over Skype which is very new age!
Will you be wearing a shirt and tie so they can see you made the effort..but underneath the table you will still be in your 'y' fronts as you don't want to make any washing before you leave?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

jan the piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merry
Ditto what Grendel said - we left UK on Christmas Day 2009 and it still hasn't hit me.....keep waiting! Any moments of doubts were quickly replaced by all the reasons we wanted to leave and the thought that at least we were trying it - if it doesn't work, we'll go back to the UK.
Good luck and just enjoy the adventure!
we left the ukin June 2005, kids settled well in school, husband got a decent local job, I am a foster Mum we got our dual citizenship in May 2009. Unfortunately our parents are now too ill to be sponsored here which would have been our dream. We can't live without them so we're returning in July 2010 hopefully. Pets returning to UK is a nightmare because of UK not having rabies and we need an agent to help us return them.
Everybody's different, we can say that we've been here, done that, and how many others would give their hind teeth to experience living in another country?
All the best from The Kawartha Lakes
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your parents.

We are stuck either way as my Mom is in Canada and my OH's are in the UK. Picking Alberta as its kinda in the middle.

We are down to 7 days left.... had the leaving do from work (we both work same place) pretty much as set for the move as you can be. Final meet ups with friends and relatives but pretty much treading water till wed morn. Then we find out how much we havee forgotten to do

All the best with your move
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:34 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
This is definitely the best option, my girlfriend has been living on a different continent from her family for nearly 8 years now and they always say goodbye at the bus station as opposed to the airport. I think at the airport it really would be all too much to handle.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johngrimes
Will you be wearing a shirt and tie so they can see you made the effort..but underneath the table you will still be in your 'y' fronts as you don't want to make any washing before you leave?
Hi Guys and Gals

I just wanted to let you know that my Skype interview went really really well

They are sending me an HR questionairre to complete in the next 24 hours and would like to final interview me next week when I am in Toronto.

He said they have been looking for someone since November and I seemed ideal

Thank you all for the best wishes/

Does anybody know how long it takes to get a SIN number when you arrive?

Can you start working before it arrives?
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

SMCNI1968 is on a distinguished road

You go to one of the Govt offices (there's one at Yonge and St. Clair), they give you a temporary one, then send a card a couple of weeks later.

I don't know if you can start work without one.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

vickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations James. Best of luck with your new job. We'll be flying out on 14th Feb. If you fancy meeting up for a beer PM us.

Good luck with landing

Vicky and Neil
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Can you start working before it arrives?
The impression we got was that no, you can't start work without a SIN. But obtaining one is very quick and painless.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike getting an NI number in the UK which can be an administrative nightmare for a non-citizen.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:36 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
The impression we got was that no, you can't start work without a SIN. But obtaining one is very quick and painless.
Yes- I think they give you a form when you land to complete. It would be huge to start working a couple of weeks after landing. I can enjoy my beer then rather than feel guilty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.