Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Last few days in UK getting hard

Last few days in UK getting hard

Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:48 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last few days in UK getting hard

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I hate to sound insensitive but the thread title led me to think that you were a sex tourist.

I actually did laugh out loud at that one.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Jazzflute is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Hi,

We fly out of the UK on Thursday for Toronto and our new life. I handed over our house today to the new owners and my car goes on Wednesday. We went through the leaving "do" on Saturday and are on the last rounds of goodbyes. Been fairly immersed in the practicalities and getting everything sorted but now all starting to dawn on me the enormity of what we are doing.

Any tips on how to get through these final days in the UK?

Anyone else landing in Toronto soon or landed and fancy meeting up so we can have a friendly supportive face on the other side and maybe support each other through?

One other odd question but my partner and I are civil partners in the UK and I know this is recognised in Toronto but do we/can we marry there as well?

Any help welcomed
Just wanted to wish you and your partner the best of luck - I can imagine the rollercoaster of emotions - its something that I'm dreading! We are off to Toronto the beginning of March - just to activate the visas so will be returning to the UK after a few days. I'm sure that plenty of folks will want to meet up to offer you both support. All the best
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Goodluck both of you on your new life in Canada.

Enjoy it.

Poppit
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

vickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the roughvickyandneil is a jewel in the rough

Hi Nibbles,

We are arriving on 14th Feb. If you fancy meeting up let me know. My husband and I got married at Niagara Falls in Oct 08 its no problem at all. Just need to go to City Hall at Nathan Phillips Square and get a licence and it's valid for 3 months. It's so easy. We flew in on the Wednesday, got our licence on the Thursday which took 15 mins and got married on the Sunday.

Look forward to meeting you. PM me if you want to chat.

Vicky
Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:12 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ga1lf
I have been here in Vancouver for just over 2 weeks and I don't think anything anyone said could have prepared me for the change. I had a few leaving nights out and I think the alcohol helped me get through the last few days.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you both.
First few weeks are pretty mental but i found we were on quite a high so it got me through. We stayed at a place on 12th in the smallest room. Looking back i dont know how got through it!

Good luck all you newbies.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jan 12th 2010 at 11:14 am.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

We leave end of March and the kicker is I am canadian and dying to go home, but a part of me feels sad as I have packed things, taken things apart, finding new homes for things we are not taking...I have been here 10 yrs, went thru culture shock when I got here....and so much has changed since I left my own country. People wise there is no one I will really miss as I do not have any close friends here, maybe a neighbour or 2 and a couple of friends, but after 10 yrs...that isn't much. I have 3 gorgeous grand daughters waiting for me, that I didn't have when I left, and lost my father and brother while here. So why is a part of me saddened by moving?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:42 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

I hope you have a great flight out Nibbles2005 and I hope you settle in well

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
So why is a part of me saddened by moving?
Do you think that you could be sad because it did not work out how you had hoped it would?

Good luck settling back in Canada. It will be good to see your granddaughters though

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I hate to sound insensitive but the thread title led me to think that you were a sex tourist.
That is terrible
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

Hate to admit it, but there are things here that I will miss...and things are moving along well. Maybe it is the hassle of moving that saddens me? who knows....but gramma and grampa are going home....got grand daughters to hug and spoil..
Old Jan 12th 2010, 12:56 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Of course there will be things that you will miss. Ten years is a long time. You are right to focus on the positive things that you will get from moving.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:14 pm
Heading to toronto or cal

joycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to alljoycejimi is a name known to all

With flights booked for me and my daughter, I feel the same way. Sometimes, I feel like I should just forget about this whole emigration and remain in the UK but at times, I really wanted to go (I have always wanted to live in Canada right from childhood). I guess it is something I just have to do as I don't want to look back some years time to regret my decision of not going. Many people out there would like to have the visa but were denied and not using it may be a golden opportunity lost forever.

Besides, whenever I listen to UK politicians lately, I know things in UK would change drastically and I might regret not moving to Canada sooner. I know Canada has its own problems, but I pray to sail through and hopefully give my kid a better life. Back to the OP, I would say just go for it and hopefully, Canada will offers you all that you always wish for.

Recently, I spoke to a friend who had left the UK about four months ago with his daughter, He told me how he had felt prior to boarding the plane but he is now more relaxed and happy that he actually moved to Canada. At least he is very happy and his daughter is settling in as well. I know that is the situation of some people although others may be having serious difficulties, but one need to realized that difficulties are sometime steps to better things to come.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 1:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I really can't look at the title of this thread now without decending into a slightly immature chuckle.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You know, I really can't look at the title of this thread now without decending into a slightly immature chuckle.
This is why the internet was invented.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:24 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Hi,

We fly out of the UK on Thursday for Toronto and our new life. I handed over our house today to the new owners and my car goes on Wednesday. We went through the leaving "do" on Saturday and are on the last rounds of goodbyes. Been fairly immersed in the practicalities and getting everything sorted but now all starting to dawn on me the enormity of what we are doing.

Any tips on how to get through these final days in the UK?

Anyone else landing in Toronto soon or landed and fancy meeting up so we can have a friendly supportive face on the other side and maybe support each other through?

One other odd question but my partner and I are civil partners in the UK and I know this is recognised in Toronto but do we/can we marry there as well?

Any help welcomed
I am flying out to Toronto on Friday.

My days are mainly full with working out what I can fit in my 30kg's luggage allowance with Thomas Cook Airlines and then binning other stuff or giving it away as my parents don't want it.

I also have to prepare the various landing items they require such as goods accompanying and goods to bring in.

The plan is to have most of it done tomorrow so on Thursday I can relax and go for one last look round Farnham, Surrey and enjoy a couple of local ales.

Another task to perform if you don't have a job is researching jobsites and potential employers which I have been doing.

I also have an interview tomorrow over Skype which is very new age!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Originally Posted by James Martindale
I also have an interview tomorrow over Skype which is very new age!
Good luck. Probably not the best time for the stress of an interview, but I hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:56 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grendel
Good luck. Probably not the best time for the stress of an interview, but I hope it works out for you.
Thanks.

Yes it's a bit of stress I have quite a bit of research to do as it is a slightly different product set to what I have worked with before. But fingers crossed if I pull it off they want to meet me face to face next week with a view to making an offer the following week if successful. Obviously a job with in two weeks of landing would relieve alot of financial pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.