Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

Wikiposts

Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
Hudman, you're a little ray of sunshine! I commute to Vancouver, but use the wonderful West Coast Express train service. I also have no problem with hearing train horns - they wuz here first! Driving from the burbs to any major city is identical to what we have here. You should try doing it in the Bristol area in the UK - it's a parking lots, plain and simple! And look what's happened in London, now they have to pay a fee to drive into the city. Yes, our road system is totally inadequate, but there are major benefits to living here.

Merry Christmas!!
I also commuted from Maple Ridge to Downtown for 3 years. Part of the reason why I got me heart problems in the end, no doubt.Came back to U.K. I have recently driven to London and found that all this "pay a fee to drive into the city" is not as bad as many think. I went from Reading to Paddington and Regents Park the other Day and got no where near where the fee starts. If you look on the map the area they actually charge for is small and of no interest to shoppers, night-timers or tourists (except for Westminster)
Now, on the subject of Music Tuition You will find customers for lessons in MR.But even more so if you lived either in Coquitlam or Abbotsford (The latter is a trully awsome town to live in!.A has a healthy reputation of being the most Conservative town in Lower Mainland.
Unlike MR or Langley They have several big music shops. You will find market for piano lessons there.I also know that schools are better in Abotsford than Maple Ridge. My daughters went to shools there.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

lipards is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

But I've read somewhere that some area of Abbotsford has drug, shooting, segregation problems...any one know where I can see crime statistics and property assessment data online like Alberta offers?

Originally Posted by Gezza
I also commuted from Maple Ridge to Downtown for 3 years. Part of the reason why I got me heart problems in the end, no doubt.Came back to U.K. I have recently driven to London and found that all this "pay a fee to drive into the city" is not as bad as many think. I went from Reading to Paddington and Regents Park the other Day and got no where near where the fee starts. If you look on the map the area they actually charge for is small and of no interest to shoppers, night-timers or tourists (except for Westminster)
Now, on the subject of Music Tuition You will find customers for lessons in MR.But even more so if you lived either in Coquitlam or Abbotsford (The latter is a trully awsome town to live in!.A has a healthy reputation of being the most Conservative town in Lower Mainland.
Unlike MR or Langley They have several big music shops. You will find market for piano lessons there.I also know that schools are better in Abotsford than Maple Ridge. My daughters went to shools there.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

Originally Posted by Hudman
At least in UK you could probably find a few back routes.
Ditto X-mas
Not when there is a river to crosss.
Old Dec 24th 2005, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lipards
But I've read somewhere that some area of Abbotsford has drug, shooting, segregation problems
Yes, it's just like the Bronx

You need to see for yourself.
Old Dec 25th 2005, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

But I've read somewhere that some area of Abbotsford has drug, shooting, segregation problems...any one know where I can see crime statistics and property assessment data online like Alberta offers?
My guess is that when you move there: Abbotsford or even Maple Ridge you will find that the worries you had about drugs and shootings were unjustifed and excessive.
Both those towns are full of well-meaning right-minded,family people... from what I remember.They may seem a little unreserved and simple to begin with but with time you will see the wisdom in that and become completely comfortable with it. Now, if you find A and MR drug and shooting problems are indeed to much. Or that the commute is too much for you or your spouse, I can only recommend that you consider buying in North- or West Vancouver cause the are even better but,... There is serious "But": You will be paying extra 100k CAD for the same house you could get in Abbotsford. Sorry life is harsh!

Merry Christmas, Gezza
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:15 am
Living It!

saund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant futuresaund_cp has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Langley (north) Maple Ridge and bridge over the river (troubled water :)

Originally Posted by philcUK
Yes, it's just like the Bronx

You need to see for yourself.

Oh please!!!!! I take it you've never been to the Bronx ?
Abbotsford is the 'Bible Belt' of Western Canada, whose residents per person, give more to charity than any other comminty in Western Canada. It has a pop. of 160,000 so is a large town by any standard and like other similarly larger towns has it's problems, (Similar size town in UK = Brighton, - what a beautiful place, but have you ever been to Moulscomb in Brighton?) however there isn't one part of it that is similar to The Bronx, or Peckham, or Moulscomb for that matter!
As a previous person has said, If you want to live in a perfect world you have to move to a town called Utopia, which ain't cheap!
Old Dec 25th 2005, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saund_cp
Oh please!!!!! I take it you've never been to the Bronx ?
It comes to something when you have to explain sarcasm to a supposed Englishman.

But yes, I have been to the Bronx.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

lipards is on a distinguished road

I think you're right...
But, as I know, the BUT is even more...if the difference is only $100k, I will pick WV for sure...

Originally Posted by Gezza
My guess is that when you move there: Abbotsford or even Maple Ridge you will find that the worries you had about drugs and shootings were unjustifed and excessive.
Both those towns are full of well-meaning right-minded,family people... from what I remember.They may seem a little unreserved and simple to begin with but with time you will see the wisdom in that and become completely comfortable with it. Now, if you find A and MR drug and shooting problems are indeed to much. Or that the commute is too much for you or your spouse, I can only recommend that you consider buying in North- or West Vancouver cause the are even better but,... There is serious "But": You will be paying extra 100k CAD for the same house you could get in Abbotsford. Sorry life is harsh!

Merry Christmas, Gezza
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:51 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I think you're right...
But, as I know, the BUT is even more...if the difference is only $100k, I will pick WV for sure...

Differnence is more like $200k :scared:
Check out www.mls.ca

Clare