Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Old Dec 25th 2012, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
hahahha

Next time I am forced across the Fraser into the depths of the Valley, I shall take pics of what I see around me and post it.

Plus the Fraser Valley is a shit place for ashmatics. You may as well just take up smoking.
Dear oh dear. No mountains in the Valley - I can see plenty from my place. Perhaps I imagined them? You havn't been slashing tyres recently have you? Please stay in the city its where you belong.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 5:15 am
Just Joined

dm112 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought that was an ok place
Old Dec 28th 2012, 1:46 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Grew up in Maple Ridge, rode horses in Langley, spent 8 years in Vancouver, then 3 in Essex, 2 in London and last 4 in Portsmouth. Langley is far from the bottom of the list far as I am concerned. I now have lots of mates that were raised in Vancouver/West and North Van and all have been priced out of the market so many now live in Whalley, Langley, Steveston. To be honest once you hit Surrry or Poco its all the same bar the far east ie Mission, Silverdale.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:04 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee
Grew up in Maple Ridge, rode horses in Langley, spent 8 years in Vancouver, then 3 in Essex, 2 in London and last 4 in Portsmouth. Langley is far from the bottom of the list far as I am concerned. I now have lots of mates that were raised in Vancouver/West and North Van and all have been priced out of the market so many now live in Whalley, Langley, Steveston. To be honest once you hit Surrry or Poco its all the same bar the far east ie Mission, Silverdale.
Exactly. They live there because they have no choice, not because they really want to. Seriously..if they could afford to buy in WV or NV, would they really choose Langley. There are not many that would, hence the cheaper price for houses.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 29th 2012 at 12:08 am.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

I quite enjoy the views of Mount Baker and Golden Ears that i see in Langley!!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:28 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
I quite enjoy the views of Mount Baker and Golden Ears that i see in Langley!!
I don't mean to be pedantic but they're not exactly located in Langley.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
I don't mean to be pedantic but they're not exactly located in Langley.
Does not mean i can't enjoy the views though eh!!
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Canadiandreams, better to look out at Mount Baker and Golden Ears than have any view obscured by block after block of flats. We lived in North Van and hated it, wouldn't go back to live there if somebody paid me, others on here absolutely love it, each to their own as they say. Exkiwilass you are wrong to presume that people live further out because that is all they can afford. Many people just don't like city living.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:03 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nativenewyorker
Exkiwilass you are wrong to presume that people live further out because that is all they can afford. Many people just don't like city living.
Then why are Langley/the Pitt/Ridge/Surrey etc so much cheaper for real estate than NV? That would seem to indicate there's much more demand for NV.

In my ( admittedly anecdotal) experience, people move out to the Valley cos they can't afford to buy closer in. I'm sure there are people who like it out there - no arguments there - but as pointed out previously, the much lower prices indicate there are far less of them around than those who want to live closer in.

You've gotta admit the commute sucks from there. One of my friends who lives in Langley spends 3-4 hours a day commuting by car to Burnaby (not even downtown). The reason they stay is for family help with the kids and they can't afford to move to somewhere like Coquitlam. I was at a house warming in Coquitlam a few weeks ago and one of the guests was saying that 20 years ago, you could commute from Langely to DT Vancouver in 20 minutes. NOw it takes her an hour just to get to the highway.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Dec 29th 2012 at 6:07 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 8:27 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The new Bridge and the completion of the Highway 1 expansion may change the commute quite a bit. Time will tell.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The new Bridge and the completion of the Highway 1 expansion may change the commute quite a bit. Time will tell.
Providing they don't get hit by falling chunks of ice.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Only takes my husband 30mins to get from Willoughby, Langley to Coquitlam in the morning, then 20mins from Coquitlam to BCIT burnaby after 4.30pm!!

We don't think that's an awful commute!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:14 pm

Yeah but you have to pay.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by CanadianDreams
Only takes my husband 30mins to get from Willoughby, Langley to Coquitlam in the morning, then 20mins from Coquitlam to BCIT burnaby after 4.30pm!!

We don't think that's an awful commute!

Langley to the Lam is not exactly Langley to DT vancouver. Or Burnaby.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The most crimey dodgey place I have seen in BC, is located in Vancouver. Worst downtown homeless population of any city I have ever been to.

I lived in Vancouver for a year, only benefit was better transit and no need to have a car, other then that for day to day living, all the citys offer the same crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.