Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Old Dec 15th 2012, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

glassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/4...langley-mayor/

Sounds like a terrible place to live, not even Surrey is as bad.
Wow! That started a lot of negativity for the Fraser valley. Several posters sound like snobby Vancouverites. I have lived in Langley for decades & raised 3 kids here. As with every town & area, there are yucky bits. Don't hang around the alleys of downtown Langley CITY at night. Wait a bit, I don't hang around the downtown alleys of Chichester or Brighton where I grew up, when I visit these days.

For goodness sake, check out the neighbourhoods, the lifestyle, the parks & trails & the people (some of whom may be various religions - but you'd never know it with most of them) for yourself.

Like to hike? Attached is a picture from the summit of a day hike I did on Oct 11. The trailhead is 1/2 hour drive from my house. Go back to fighting the wind & drizzle on Brighton front? Not this happily retired ex-pat
Attached Thumbnails Langley, BC = crimey dodgy place-above-clouds-2.jpg  
Old Dec 16th 2012, 5:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So is Hawaii East or West of Vancouver?
Is Calgary East or West of Vancouver?

I don't care tbh
Old Dec 16th 2012, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Recently moved from Whalley in Surrey out to Willoughby in Langley. I have to say I much prefer it here. The Township of Langley is surprisingly well managed with very strict style guidelines for new developments which helps maintain a decent look in the area. People are also fairly friendly, not quite at the saying-hello-when-you-walk-past level, but close. However I totally agree that the Langley City part isn't very good for numerous reasons, the Fraser Hwy/56th Ave section basically is like a miniature Whalley, and the amount of traffic around the whole city can be really unpleasant.

It seems that the BC lower mainland has a huge problem making decent city centres that are well designed, look at Surrey, Langley and Chilliwack, all suffer the grey, depressing crimey city centre syndrome. The surrounding suburbs are always much more pleasant.

As ExKiwilass said though, Fort Langley is lovely, shame that house prices are inflated by 200-400k because it's marginally nicer than the surrounding area.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glassbrain
Wow! That started a lot of negativity for the Fraser valley. Several posters sound like snobby Vancouverites. I have lived in Langley for decades & raised 3 kids here. As with every town & area, there are yucky bits. Don't hang around the alleys of downtown Langley CITY at night. Wait a bit, I don't hang around the downtown alleys of Chichester or Brighton where I grew up, when I visit these days.

For goodness sake, check out the neighbourhoods, the lifestyle, the parks & trails & the people (some of whom may be various religions - but you'd never know it with most of them) for yourself.

Like to hike? Attached is a picture from the summit of a day hike I did on Oct 11. The trailhead is 1/2 hour drive from my house. Go back to fighting the wind & drizzle on Brighton front? Not this happily retired ex-pat
I agree its amazing have snobby Vancouverites are. We shop in Langley all of the time. Rather like the place actually - nothing wrong with it. Dont get screwed for parking for a start and you can get in and out of the place easily. I would rather live in the Valley were you can breath than either Burnaby or Vancouver - both over crowded and over rated. I have seen more crime in these area than anywhere else (of course they dont like to publicise the fact) and I work/travel in the city every day. Perhaps those people who work in offices need to get out and about a bit and they might see a different picture. I get tired of having to pick up all the discarded needles and stolen copper before my crew can work safely. Have you ever stood on Crescent Beach in the summer and looked at the thick brown haze which hangs over the city?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:28 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
I agree its amazing have snobby Vancouverites are. We shop in Langley all of the time. Rather like the place actually - nothing wrong with it. Dont get screwed for parking for a start and you can get in and out of the place easily. I would rather live in the Valley were you can breath than either Burnaby or Vancouver - both over crowded and over rated. I have seen more crime in these area than anywhere else (of course they dont like to publicise the fact) and I work/travel in the city every day. Perhaps those people who work in offices need to get out and about a bit and they might see a different picture. I get tired of having to pick up all the discarded needles and stolen copper before my crew can work safely. Have you ever stood on Crescent Beach in the summer and looked at the thick brown haze which hangs over the city?
A little defensive here? No one's being judgmental, all we are saying is that there are people who more suited to living in the suburbs, surrounded by strip malls, box stores and parking lots and those who appreciate the culture and vibrancy of a city.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

glassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the roughglassbrain is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Oink
A little defensive here? No one's being judgmental, all we are saying is that there are people who more suited to living in the suburbs, surrounded by strip malls, box stores and parking lots and those who appreciate the culture and vibrancy of a city.
Ah yes, Vancouver city is like that! The foreign culture, in a language I don't understand & the vibration of traffic & A/C units under my feet, which have to pick carefully over the homeless beggars squatting on the sidewalk & dance around the aggresive youths who have egos bigger than the smelly dumpsters that lurk in every corner...thatwochyermean?

lol - it's not that bad.

I hope you all find somewhere to live that you love as much as I do my place, however different we all may be.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

They're a touchy lot aren't they, these fraser valley types. "No, no, the city I live in isn't ugly - look here's a picture of a mountain to prove it"
Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:43 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They're a touchy lot aren't they, these fraser valley types. "No, no, the city I live in isn't ugly - look here's a picture of a mountain to prove it"
hahahha

Next time I am forced across the Fraser into the depths of the Valley, I shall take pics of what I see around me and post it.

Plus the Fraser Valley is a shit place for ashmatics. You may as well just take up smoking.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

hahahha

Next time I am forced across the Fraser into the depths of the Valley, I shall take pics of what I see around me and post it.

Plus the Fraser Valley is a shit place for ashmatics. You may as well just take up smoking.
There's always Google Street View.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:49 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, Vancouver city is like that! The foreign culture, in a language I don't understand & the vibration of traffic & A/C units under my feet, which have to pick carefully over the homeless beggars squatting on the sidewalk & dance around the aggresive youths who have egos bigger than the smelly dumpsters that lurk in every corner...thatwochyermean?

lol - it's not that bad.

I hope you all find somewhere to live that you love as much as I do my place, however different we all may be.
But usually some travel guide names it as one of the best cities in the world! (lol)
Old Dec 18th 2012, 5:04 am
Just Joined

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/4...langley-mayor/

Sounds like a terrible place to live, not even Surrey is as bad.
Langley City Mayor Fights Back!

http://www.langleytimes.com/news/183870361.html

There are 2 Langleys - The City is small, dense & scruffy, but I like it anyway. It's surrounded by Langley Township which is big, mainly agricultural land reserve, with 5 separate communities & lots of "executive estates". Silly setup with the 2 of them, but it goes back to an argument between farmers & townies in the 1950s. The 2 councils still don't play well together 60 years on.

He's right about the murders BTW, they were in the Township.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:18 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Langley City Mayor Fights Back!

http://www.langleytimes.com/news/183870361.html

There are 2 Langleys - The City is small, dense & scruffy, but I like it anyway. It's surrounded by Langley Township which is big, mainly agricultural land reserve, with 5 separate communities & lots of "executive estates". Silly setup with the 2 of them, but it goes back to an argument between farmers & townies in the 1950s. The 2 councils still don't play well together 60 years on.

He's right about the murders BTW, they were in the Township.
Outside Langley no one knows or cares that there's 2 of them. It's just Langley.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Outside Langley no one knows or cares that there's 2 of them. It's just Langley.
Be worried, kiddo. They might start breeding, & take over!
Old Dec 18th 2012, 3:49 pm

Be worried, kiddo. They might start breeding, & take over!
it's ok, the river creates a natural barrier.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 11:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver, culture?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.