Reload this Page >

Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Old Apr 27th 2013, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

franfluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landrover Defenders, might not take them :'(

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Create a post, scroll down to manage attachments, click on that, click on browse, find the picture file on your computer, click upload, done!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 4:38 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franfluff
these are our landys x
Nice!

Bring them both....

Last edited by james.mc; Apr 27th 2013 at 4:43 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 4:56 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Well im speaking to another shipping agency now too and see what they say, im just worried because they have been modified so much that they will kick up a fuss but hey ho we shall deal with it, as far as i can read everywhere as long as they are over 15 years old it doesnt matter!!???
Having now seen the pictures....Very nice, and clearly a labour of love For sure, they will be a rare beast over here.

Lets be clear about one thing though... they are not radically modded. They may seem that way by UK standards, but not by North American standards of modification. I've seen 4WD stuff on the roads over here, being used as daily transport, that you would be pulled over to the roadside and shot for driving on EU roads

Summary
Your Jeeps (oops! sorry I meant Landrovers ) are over 15 years old, so will be allowed in and you will be able to put them on the road as long as they are safe to drive and they pass a basic safety inspection.

I can't see how any of the above 'summary' statement would not apply and I genuinely think you are worrying too much.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
Having now seen the pictures....Very nice, and clearly a labour of love For sure, they will be a rare beast over here.

Lets be clear about one thing though... they are not radically modded. They may seem that way by UK standards, but not by North American standards of modification. I've seen 4WD stuff on the roads over here, being used as daily transport, that you would be pulled over to the roadside and shot for driving on EU roads

Summary
Your Jeeps (oops! sorry I meant Landrovers ) are over 15 years old, so will be allowed in and you will be able to put them on the road as long as they are safe to drive and they pass a basic safety inspection.

I can't see how any of the above 'summary' statement would not apply and I genuinely think you are worrying too much.
Ok thank you so much for all your input, its made me a little more confident again lol, just wouldnt want these beauty's to end up being crushed or something! So next thing is to get them VERY clean
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:20 pm
All Sooked up!

Here's some info for you: I have quoted the source and highlighted relevant sections as they apply to you:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5048-eng.pdf

Importing vehicles from countries
other than the United States

You cannot import a vehicle that was
manufactured to meet the safety standards of a
country other than the United States or Canada
unless the vehicle is the following:
â–  15 years old or older (excludes buses);
â–  a bus manufactured before January 1, 1971; or
â–  entering Canada temporarily.

If you plan to import a vehicle into Canada, you
should be aware that it has to comply with all
Canadian import laws. The vehicle must meet the
requirements of the CBSA, Transport Canada and
the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before it
can be imported.

You will receive a Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 at
the time your vehicle enters Canada. You and the
CBSA must properly complete this form in order to
have your vehicle licensed in Canada.

All vehicles must be clean and free of soil, related
matter and organic material (soil) prior to arriving
in Canada.
This requirement applies to all used
vehicles, regardless of origin.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-12-1-eng.html

RIV Program Exemptions

49. Vehicles are exempt from complying with the
CMVSS
at the point of entry into
Canada if they are imported under one of the following conditions:

(a) the vehicles are 15 years old or older,
or are buses manufactured before January 1, 1971;
the importer must be able to demonstrate the age of the vehicle;

Lift Kits
55. A lift kit (also know as suspension kit or leveling kit) modifies a vehicle to raise the ride height of the vehicle.
Pick-up trucks, SUV's or passenger cars fitted with a lift kit are inadmissible to Canada.

Vehicle Import Form – Form 1
66. The provincial/territorial licensing authorities co-operate with the CBSA by requiring proof that CBSA
formalities have been complied with before issuing licenses for foreign vehicles imported into Canada.
Persons required by the provincial/territorial licensing authority to license their foreign vehicle in Canada
must present a properly completed Form 13-0132, Vehicle Import Form – Form 1, to the licensing authority.

Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) Requirements
75. The following are subject to import requirements, and inspection procedures and fees in order to prevent the entry and establishment of injurious plant pests in Canada:

(a) used agricultural vehicles, equipment, implements, containers, and carriers;

(b) used earth moving vehicles, equipment, implements, tools, carriers and containers;

(c) used passenger and recreational vehicles; and
(d) used military equipment.
Note the bit on lift kits.
This came as a bit of a surprise to me.
My 1989 Jeep Wrangler YJ has not been lifted, but does have uprated suspension fitted.. raises it a bit from stock (factory) height, but no way does it look lifted.

It seems you'll need to drop a lifted Landi back to original ride height before importation. Keep all the other gear.. winches etc on though. You will likely have extended drive shafts, dropped pitman (steering arm) extended shocks, springs, maybe even wedges to change the drive angle of the Final Drive. So, it could be a bit of a pain to do, but it will only be a one off.
After it has been imported/ road safety inspected I see no reason why the lift kit could not be re-installed. Loads of stuff on the roads over here radically lifted!

Remember... everything you bring in (when you land) is tax free. As long as you list it on your Good accompanying or Goods to Follow lists.
No questions at all from CBSA about all the spares (some old some new accumulated over time) I brought in with me for the Jeep.
As long as you don't look like you are setting up a business with professional tools and parts you'll be good. It would be expected that someone with a hobby such as this would bring in a bunch of stuff (Tools parts etc.) anyway.

Landrovers are pretty rare over here, so I'm guessing spares will be hard to come by and very expensive!
If I were you I'd start stocking up on UK sourced LR spares as they will be far cheaper in the UK than later trying purchase/import them here. Consider consumables... filters, brake pads/shoes (not tyres). Also, think about stocking up on UJ kits, wheel bearings, gaskets, maybe even a spare drive shaft and prop shaft or two.

Anything you have to import later (after you have landed) will be subject to import duty.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:27 pm
All Sooked up!

BTW.

I can't find anything acceptable (to CBSA/Canadian Food Inspection Agency) on soil tests/examinations being performed overseas prior to shipping.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

see i knew there would be a problem with the lift kit, just dont get it as you say theyre all lifted out there. Thats gonna cost a bit to put them back to normal. Right we shall have to deal with it! Wow you are FAB for doing all this research for us, very much appreciated!!! The landys have just been kitted out with all new bits including new gearboxes, clutches etc etc... will bring a few of the basics, we have already asked a 4x4 parts company over here if they would ship out to us (hopefully they could send it as a gift so being tax exempt maybe???) but yeh the spares like filters etc will be coming too
So we have about 2 weeks to sort out the liftkits. How stupid and awkward x
Old Apr 27th 2013, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

hubby just said theyve only been lifted by 5cm would they pick up on that??? They just have huuuge wheels on them which makes it look like monsters lol x
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

BTW.

I can't find anything acceptable (to CBSA/Canadian Food Inspection Agency) on soil tests/examinations being performed overseas prior to shipping.
Read this link
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1323826425974
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Thank you for that link that was very useful and hadnt come across that one yet x
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:15 pm
All Sooked up!

hubby just said theyve only been lifted by 5cm would they pick up on that??? They just have huuuge wheels on them which makes it look like monsters lol x
I'm of the opinon that your vehicle(s) will be allowed to be imported with a lift kit fitted, but might not be approved to drive on the roads because of it's initial safety inspection, whereby they may pick up on the fact that it has been lifted.

I don't think the lift kit will likely become an issue until the vehicle goes to an approved safety check garage. 5cm isn't much so it may not even bother the inspector. I guess it depends on whom is carrying out the inspection and how stringent they are with the rules. I'm just passing on what I know.. or think I know You'll need to make the final decision on how you approach it.

If it were me I would leave nothing to chance. Remove the lift kit before shipping. Bring it with you. Re-fit it after it has been approved to drive on the roads and has been re-registered. Even if the inspector says the lift kit would have been no issue, at least you removed the possibility of the problem arising and becoming an issue! It's a lot of buggering around, but you'll only need to do it the once!

My Jeep only had a soil inspection to import it. I was not asked to declare from which environment it had come from (I.e. Metropolitan, Country side etc.) nor which environment it was going to. I'm pretty sure it was not checked (at the time of import) to see if it was lifted or not. It will need to go for safety check. The local ICBC approved garage mechanic is a Jeep nut, so he knows them inside out and will most likely know what to look out for with mine. Who is to knows if a Landrover is lifted or isn't? I doubt of the garages have much knowledge of them.

BTW. Don't get me wrong....Not all 4WD's here are lifted!! I own two Jeeps that are not. It's just that you do see a number of Jeeps, Trucks (Pick-up trucks, in UK speak) and other utility vehicles lifted and driving around on the road. More than just a few I might add! I've even seen a 4WD van radically lifted!! What's that all about

Last edited by james.mc; Apr 28th 2013 at 7:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

we are looking to buy some new springs and shocks atm, i think we might chance it and take them as they are, if we have to change them then so be it and we will pay out. Aslong as they dont take them off us that would be the main concern. Are we crazy doing it this way lol? I call them trucks to btw used to have a nissan navara outlaw, nice machine bt very expensive to repair ouch x
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:38 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Holy hell, after seeing those vehicles they reminded me of the ones those fruit loop doomsday prep people kit out for armageddon

Must say they are very nice though
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:07 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of the opinon that your vehicle(s) will be allowed to be imported with a lift kit fitted, but might not be approved to drive on the roads because of it's initial safety inspection, whereby they may pick up on the fact that it has been lifted.

I don't think the lift kit will likely become an issue until the vehicle goes to an approved safety check garage. 5cm isn't much so it may not even bother the inspector. I guess it depends on whom is carrying out the inspection and how stringent they are with the rules. I'm just passing on what I know.. or think I know You'll need to make the final decision on how you approach it.

If it were me I would leave nothing to chance. Remove the lift kit before shipping. Bring it with you. Re-fit it after it has been approved to drive on the roads and has been re-registered. Even if the inspector says the lift kit would have been no issue, at least you removed the possibility of the problem arising and becoming an issue! It's a lot of buggering around, but you'll only need to do it the once!

My Jeep only had a soil inspection to import it. I was not asked to declare from which environment it had come from (I.e. Metropolitan, Country side etc.) nor which environment it was going to. I'm pretty sure it was not checked (at the time of import) to see if it was lifted or not. It will need to go for safety check. The local ICBC approved garage mechanic is a Jeep nut, so he knows them inside out and will most likely know what to look out for with mine. Who is to knows if a Landrover is lifted or isn't? I doubt of the garages have much knowledge of them.

BTW. Don't get me wrong....Not all 4WD's here are lifted!! I own two Jeeps that are not. It's just that you do see a number of Jeeps, Trucks (Pick-up trucks, in UK speak) and other utility vehicles lifted and driving around on the road. More than just a few I might add! I've even seen a 4WD van radically lifted!! What's that all about
Would that not invalidate any insurance ?? or do you tell the insurers its been lifted ?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:25 pm
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Would that not invalidate any insurance ?? or do you tell the insurers its been lifted ?
In BC, you can legally lift (or lower by the way) up to 10cm before you require a vehicle inspection. So, it's legal here. No sure about other provinces.

I would suggest you advise your insurance company all the same. They may ask if it's less than 10cm and, if so, let it go with no premium loading.

It's a bit weird that a lifted vehicle cannot be imported, yet you can legally drive a lifted vehicle on the roads (of BC). The imported vehicle has to be inspected at a designated inspection station anyway so, if it's deemed legal and safe, where is the problem?

You can get some good info on the law concerning modified vehicles in BC at BC4x4.com

Also, maybe check out DriveSmartBC's website. They have some good FAQ's/information on motoring laws and regulations for BC.

Last edited by james.mc; Apr 29th 2013 at 5:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.