Reload this Page >

Landing with wife, children and dog - customs

Landing with wife, children and dog - customs

Old Jan 30th 2022, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Stewie73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing with wife, children and dog - customs

Hi all,

Well, the good news, our TWP is in, dated November 2021, has to be activated (from what it says) by Nov 2022. We are looking to go March (yes 4 weeks away).

Passed the IELTF (I am British, have not completed any exam in 30 years and was worried sick the day before the exam) and have now submitted online our PR - let's keep the fingers crossed.

Have to say - over the moon and can't wait. The "To do list" from the wiki is printed and we are going through it.

But have numerous questions, which have now confused me talking with the shipping company and Canada Border force at Halifax airport.

1. Traveling in, first flight landing.
We have to go via Toronto to Halifax because there are no direct flights, we were going on 1st April when Air Canada had a direct flight so we can take the dog, AC cancelled all direct flights, and put back to 1st Mary. Thus, now first week of March we are going via Toronto to Halifax. Border force mentioned as this would be where we would have to see immigration with our letters, we also have to have all bags and the dog as well, let alone the 3 nippers - wife is not looking forward to that, and, I must admit it has now freaked me out a little too. The amount of luggage (over 10 checked bags) and the huge dog crate being pushed along (looking at porter services now) wondering if immigration wants all that or not. I thought AC would simply move all of that from plane to plane, but now not so sure - anyone have any ideas on this please?

2. TWP length
Any ideas how long the visa would be issued for, whilst we are waiting for PR? The Nova Scotia health board mentions 12 monthly visa requirements to register for our health cards. Can we ask immigration for 12 months or more, or is that kinda set? We are going in on the Start-Up Visa program.

3. Immigration paperwork
Speaking with Border Force, the chap mentioned that the letter is all we need, should I make copies of all of the TWP applications? Should I take copies of the funds proof (this being a bank statement) and we can show them our phones with online banking showing the funds available, or, should we send enough to cover "the amount of C$58k) to our Scotia Bank account and then if they want to see it, we can show them the Scotiabank app or we can put a card in and show them the balance from an ATM?

4. Goods to follow, 40-foot high top container
Typically this has gone from £9k to £13-14k from 1st March... Sea freight companies hiking prices. So, no one wants to ship the container until our passports have a "visa" in them, and thus nothing will be booked to go until some time in March, is that normal? Border force chap seemed to simply say "what a load of rubbish" if it turns up and you have your GTF paperwork stamped, then it will simply get checked and go through which is what I assumed would happen.

5. Special bottles of Port (and other booze)
I have a some bottles (8 to 10) of Port, Whisky, Gin and Red wine that I would like to take, some are old (Port nearly 50 like me) and its for personal consumption, boarder force chap said just bring it with you when flying and declare it, or put it in the container. Which would you suggest is best? Is there import duty to pay? and/or do I need an import license, and because we are having to go via Toronto if checked baggage, do I need t get a license for Toronto or? ---- To say I am confused on this is an understatement

There are bound to be more questions as I start to worry getting closer the "off"

Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 30th 2022, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing with wife, children and dog - customs

2. It’ll be for a year - that’s fixed with start up visa work permits.

HTH.
Old Jan 30th 2022, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

christmasoompa Many thanks, that really does put our mind at rests
Old Jan 30th 2022, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stewie73 View Post
christmasoompa Many thanks, that really does put our mind at rests
No worries. Official info here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...rmits.html#6.5
Old Jan 31st 2022, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

justzee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

4. Goods to follow, 40-foot high top container
Typically this has gone from £9k to £13-14k from 1st March... Sea freight companies hiking prices. So, no one wants to ship the container until our passports have a "visa" in them, and thus nothing will be booked to go until some time in March, is that normal? Border force chap seemed to simply say "what a load of rubbish" if it turns up and you have your GTF paperwork stamped, then it will simply get checked and go through which is what I assumed would happen.

Thanks in advance.
Do you mind if I ask which Sea freight company you are using?
Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2022, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We got an import license in 2011. Cost about $20. Then the official at NSLC in Halifax went through our list of booze and allocated values to it all. When hubby told them the Rémy Martin was worth £800 they disagreed and and put $20 for example. Think our total was $200 all in.
But we did make the mistake of doing it after instead of getting the license before arriving in Canada. So when our container arrived in Halifax they threatened to empty it all as we didn’t have a license.
As you can imagine it was a very stressful 72 hours while hubby got it done.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by justzee View Post
Do you mind if I ask which Sea freight company you are using?
Thanks
We are using Pickfords for the move, its not cheap as it is now we are getting a 40ft high top container, door to door, is just shy of £9200.00 BUT we have already been told, that will increase on 1st March and no booking of containers will happen until after that date as the shipping companies are putting their pricing up, just that part is going up circa $4000-$6000 on top of the above £9,2k price. :*(

Thought about ditching the house contents and buying all new, but, seriously it is not worth it.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
We got an import license in 2011. Cost about $20. Then the official at NSLC in Halifax went through our list of booze and allocated values to it all. When hubby told them the Rémy Martin was worth £800 they disagreed and and put $20 for example. Think our total was $200 all in.
But we did make the mistake of doing it after instead of getting the license before arriving in Canada. So when our container arrived in Halifax they threatened to empty it all as we didn’t have a license.
As you can imagine it was a very stressful 72 hours while hubby got it done.
Thanks, so the point here is get the license to import now I must say the listing form looks interesting to fill out serperating it all out.
Old Feb 7th 2022, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

justzee is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Pickfords for the move, its not cheap as it is now we are getting a 40ft high top container, door to door, is just shy of £9200.00 BUT we have already been told, that will increase on 1st March and no booking of containers will happen until after that date as the shipping companies are putting their pricing up, just that part is going up circa $4000-$6000 on top of the above £9,2k price. :*(

Thought about ditching the house contents and buying all new, but, seriously it is not worth it.
Thanks for the information, I am in a similar dilemma; sell and buy again in canada or just ship it. I will wait until after 1 march and see what prices I get quoted then make a decision.
Old Feb 11th 2022, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, so the point here is get the license to import now I must say the listing form looks interesting to fill out serperating it all out.
Well that was our experience. Certainly you need to get the import license and deal with it or they’ll dump everything out of the container.
Old Feb 14th 2022, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

SaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRuss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justzee View Post
Thanks for the information, I am in a similar dilemma; sell and buy again in canada or just ship it. I will wait until after 1 march and see what prices I get quoted then make a decision.
We sold everything and bought new, arrived here with 4 suitcases and a laptop in 2013. Took a while but I think it was the way to go