Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing Vancouver heading to Victoria - goods to follow query

Landing Vancouver heading to Victoria - goods to follow query

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:39 am

MarkM is on a distinguished road
Default Landing Vancouver heading to Victoria - goods to follow query

Hi,

Planning to land in Vancouver on 8th January with intention of going over to Victoria the next day.

I have been reading conflicting reports about where the "goods to follow" list gets stamped. I have read that I must make an appointment in Vancouver a couple of days after landing. Does anyone know if this is actually the case or do I get it stamped at the airport, or can I get it done in Victoria etc.

Thanks in advance,

MarkM.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:06 am
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Landing Vancouver heading to Victoria - goods to follow query

Hi,
I landed in Toronto last month before returning home and allthe stamps ect...were done at the airport, the goods to follow you have to go to customs and they dealwith it there. I'm sure it will be the same everywhere, the only thing you have to go elsewhere for is your SIN number
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:06 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Customs Stamp it at the airport.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 1:24 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

This might be about the clearing of the goods when they arrive. When I first moved to Vancouver some years ago I had to go in person to the customs office downtown to get the goods released (with the stamped form). This time, in Toronto, the shipping agents did it for me after I signed a permission form for them to be able to do do.
Probably something to confirm with your shippers as the stamping at the airport is only the first step in actually getting your goods.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The GTF is stamped at the port of entry. If you're belongings are going door to door you can give the shippers broker a power of attorney to do the clearance for you. If you are going to clear the goods yourself you would have to go to a customs office and do the clearance.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info. It was this post that gave me the concern. The poster had to make an appointment "downtown" - must have been some other reason...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637521

Thanks again,

M.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkM
Thanks for the info. It was this post that gave me the concern. The poster had to make an appointment "downtown" - must have been some other reason...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637521

Thanks again,

M.
They said they had to complete the list, so presumably they did not have one with them. There is a customs office at major airports who can take care of this if you have it completed ahead of time.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator
They said they had to complete the list, so presumably they did not have one with them. There is a customs office at major airports who can take care of this if you have it completed ahead of time.
Great, thank you. Didn't spot that.

M.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
This might be about the clearing of the goods when they arrive. When I first moved to Vancouver some years ago I had to go in person to the customs office downtown to get the goods released (with the stamped form). This time, in Toronto, the shipping agents did it for me after I signed a permission form for them to be able to do do.
Probably something to confirm with your shippers as the stamping at the airport is only the first step in actually getting your goods.
We did the same thing; went downtown and got the stuff cleared. The shippers had arranged the appointment and all the docs were there ready and waiting; we had to show our passports, PR cards and COPR papers if I recall.

What was annoying was the UK shippers forgetting to send some stuff (which they found a year later) so I had to go down there again and explain it to customs - they weren't very impressed.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:54 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have posted, your goods to follow list will be stamped at the airport.

When goods arrive you will probably have to make an appointment with Customs and go in and clear the goods, it take 5 mins they just need Passport, COPR and shipping manifest. The shipping company should call you to let you know when to do this, and provide the paperwork.

We cleared ours in Vancouver, presumably you can do so in Victoria.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Ian_sea is a jewel in the roughIan_sea is a jewel in the roughIan_sea is a jewel in the roughIan_sea is a jewel in the rough

Hi, I landed at the end of August in Vancouver with goods to follow arriving in October. At the airport all I had to do was tick the box for goods to follow on the customs landing card and then when I went through customs they did not want to see the packing list but gave me a phone number to call when the goods were in country. Once the goods arrived the shipping broker arranged things so all I had to do was meet the container driver at the custom house in Nanaimo (which was our final destination) with the list of goods and I think the proof of landing. Also make sure the list shows the approx. value of each item and the total value for everything on the list.

After a few standard questions about any guns, alcohol or tobacco in the shipment the paperwork was just stamped and off we went, in all it probably took longer to find the right office in the building then to get the container cleared. Just make sure that if you have anything else following at a later date it is on that list as that is ok, but if things turn up later that were left off the list then that will cause problems - I think an earlier post said about this as well. Hope the above helps.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to allPaul in Victoria is a name known to all

I landed in Vancouver, moved over to Victoria next day.

On arrival at Vancouver Airport, gave all documents etc for visa, WP, and to follow list etc.
They stapled visa into passport and although they looked at other documents, to follow list etc, nothing. So off I popped.
When my goods arrived, the couriers gave me documents for release.
I went downtown, Victoria, got them stamped, handed them to courier and took away same day.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

WendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant futureWendyS has a brilliant future

We landed in Vancouver on the 15th Nov.

They weren't interested in our goods to follow or goods accompanying. We did ask about having it stamped but they said no and gave us a number to call when our container arrives.

I was a bit miffed as i'd spent many sleepness nights worrying over that list.