Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in UK with girlfriend, which passport queue?

Landing in UK with girlfriend, which passport queue?

Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

endlessblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in UK with girlfriend, which passport queue?

Hi,

I am taking my girlfriend back to the UK for a holiday, it's her first time!

Can I follow her through the "all other nationalities" passport queue?

(I am UK citizen, but don't want to get split up in Gatwick )
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:39 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in UK with girlfriend, which passport queue?

Originally Posted by endlessblue
Hi,

That's what I still do with my canadian wife and children
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The queue's are 20 feet apart how will you get lost

You dont seem to credit here with much common sense
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie

The wait is often quite a bit different for non nationals though. Last time through Heathrow, EU PP holders, no wait, foreign nationals, was a 2+ hour wait.
Thankful I did not have to go through either.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

Thanks guys!

With a 2+ hour wait, i'd be tempted she was an EU passport holder
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys!

With a 2+ hour wait, i'd be tempted she was an EU passport holder
If there is no wait, then it's worth chancing it. I've definitely read about people on here going through the UK line with the others in their family on canadian passports.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 5:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Everytime I've gone back to the UK with my wife and daughter travelling on their Canadian passports and me on my UK one, we've gone through the EU passports lineup with nary a problem.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Great advice guys!

We will see which queue looks best on the day then
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Everytime I've gone back to the UK with my wife and daughter travelling on their Canadian passports and me on my UK one, we've gone through the EU passports lineup with nary a problem.
But OP has a girl friend not a spouse or kids, not same same
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:09 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

But OP has a girl friend not a spouse or kids, not same same
Course it is. What's the difference?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

She can go through the EU with you if you're travelling together. My wife and I did this before and still do after we were married without issue. It was actually advised by the Immigration Officer at passport control.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Course it is. What's the difference?
well basically any one could go through with any one, which makes a mockery of the 2 lines.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 7:12 pm

well basically any one could go through with any one, which makes a mockery of the 2 lines.
It just gives an advantage to those lucky enough to be traveling with EU passport holders. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

All the immigration/passport guys do the same thing anyway. Worst case you say you didn't know and they tell you to use the other line next time.

I had a similar thing when I got my Canadian Citizenship card but still had a UK passport and was flying to the US. They had one line for Canadian passports because they don't need visas etc. so technically I didn't need a visa because I was a Canadian citizen but I had a UK passport. They told me to go in the Candian line but the US immigration guy disagreed and told me I should have gone in the other line but he did it anyway.

I wish they had a priority line at Pearson for Canadian passports though, I've waiting in that palce for ages if ou are unlucky enough to get there just after a giant 747 has landed from somewhere like China or India where each person takes a loooooong time to explain themselves to the agent.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

The queue for the nationals is the other side of the hall - I went with daughter and her Canadian friend - who is abit dopey and likely to panic - we all went thru the nationals line .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.