British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   landing in toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/landing-toronto-675166/)

gaz77 Jul 4th 2010 5:52 pm

landing in toronto

hi can anybody share their landing experence with us .do they put you through the mill with a million question ?i read some where that you had to have your proof of funds but we are waiting for the sale of our house does that matter?any info welcome.cheers:thumbsup:

Reidies Jul 4th 2010 8:19 pm

Re: landing in toronto

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8677084)
hi can anybody share their landing experence with us .do they put you through the mill with a million question ?i read some where that you had to have your proof of funds but we are waiting for the sale of our house does that matter?any info welcome.cheers:thumbsup:

Hi We landed on 7th June at Toronto, in the early afternoon. The process was pretty painless and we were met by our friends within the hour. We were asked about funds but didn't have to show anything. We did have to write out again the valuables that we had on us but again didn't have to show it. The goods to follow list was processed fairly quickly. We are actually going to clear customs tomorrow as our belongings have now arrived!!!
Are you landing ang staying or landing and returning? It's hot and humid here.
Good luck

katie1962 Jul 4th 2010 11:19 pm

Ditto to the above. The immigration folk were very friendly, the questions usual, so longas you have all the paperwork to hand quickly then the process will be painless. They all seemed genuinely pleased that we had chosen to move here - a feeling we agree with! We went back to Pearson about 6 weeks later with our goods to follow paperwork - again straight forward and some extra money invovled I seem to recall.
It is VERY humid here so be prepared!!! Enjoy your new life and keep us posted!!

gaz77 Jul 5th 2010 9:23 am

thanks for that. we will be landing then returning we need to sell our houses then we will make the move my wife also has to give 3month notice.can i ask what paper work do they ask for?i have a very small window to land we are waiting for the passport to be returned then i can book flights we can only go in the summer holidays a friend as said we can stay with them but his family are there for 3 weeks in aug .cheersps where are you heading?my friend lives in belwood near furgus and i have friends in toronto near the beaches.its nice there but expensive to live.

pfw Jul 5th 2010 6:00 pm

One piece of advice - carefully check any paperwork the immigration officer gives you before leaving. You will be tired, probably also relieved and just wanting to get out of the airport and get going, so it will be the last thing you want to do. However, if the immigration officer makes a typo on your paperwork it can be a real pain to sort out later (as we found out).

(Admittedly we were landing on a TWP, not PR, but the same applies)

London Mike Jul 5th 2010 10:39 pm

Ditto above with the ease of landing. Just remember to have two copies of Goods to Follow (didn't seem fussed about Accompanying, but that maybe just us!). I'm sure it will be painless and straightforward.

Alan2005 Jul 6th 2010 1:16 am

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8677084)

You are supposed to have your proof of funds. Most people don't get asked, but it is not unheard of. If you don't have it, then hopefully you won't be asked for it as you might have a problem.