Reload this Page >

Landing questions

Landing questions

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:19 am
Just Joined

hilarypw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing questions

Originally Posted by iambof
Well the long awaited day is approaching. I've searched the forums for my answers without success so here's my questions (apologies is I've missed a previous thread).

What papers do we NEED to carry with us? Can't find conclusive evidence anywhere. What I mean is to land and for the first couple of weeks?

How many passport photos will we need to carry?

Is the $10K limit on what your carrying (before declaring it) applicable to cash only or in any variation (i.e. cash plus travellers cheques)?

Thanks in advance.
Hi There From Hilary =your timeline is scarey! I have lived here in Vancouver BC for two years now with AOR eventually being sent by a Montreal Attorney by the name of David Cohen in May 06 !
I just received the 90 day delay letter!
Money wise - you can bring in $10k in paper money - travellers cheques are fine - better still - open an account with Td Canadatrust ( No Sin Required ) and do as much as you like via Wire transfer for$16 or £ 25 in Uk - it takes 24hours to go through otherwise - by check which takes Three months to clear! Ok!Hilary
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:27 am
Your goto Realtor

liquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the roughliquidsuite is a jewel in the rough

I had planned on having a rack sack and my laptop bag but then after calling airline company they said I can only have one so better off getting a proper hand luggege bag and fit laptop in there. I bought one which is around 56x45x25cm. So will try to get laptop and some extra clothes in there.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:48 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hilarypw
Hi There From Hilary =your timeline is scarey! I have lived here in Vancouver BC for two years now with AOR eventually being sent by a Montreal Attorney by the name of David Cohen in May 06 !
I just received the 90 day delay letter!
Money wise - you can bring in $10k in paper money - travellers cheques are fine - better still - open an account with Td Canadatrust ( No Sin Required ) and do as much as you like via Wire transfer for$16 or £ 25 in Uk - it takes 24hours to go through otherwise - by check which takes Three months to clear! Ok!Hilary
The $10K I mentioned is in addition to our main funds. We're transferring that through Moneycorp and are paying £15 for the wire transfer. Already got TD bank accounts too.

You can say that again regarding my timeline.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hilarypw
Money wise - you can bring in $10k in paper money -
We brought in more than $10k and they were fine about that.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:17 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

We landed at Calgary and they asked us how much we had on us, was only interested in cash on landing not being more then the $10.000. They gave us letter to take and get sin cards, again in Calgary they gave OH a temperary sin card, till his official one came through the post, which only took a couple of wks. At Manchester airport Air transit luggage allowance was 20k, i was over in both bags, one of which was over 30k they got me to take some out and put it in the other bag, to bring it below 30k and then charged me £35 which personally didn't think was to bad. OH flew 2 wks earlier with Monarch and got charged £75 for being over, and he was over by less then me.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
Just Joined

hilarypw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Landing questions Some info from Hilary, Vancouver BC

Originally Posted by Jaffa0007
I am in the same boat....just in the process of sorting out my visas and we're off!!!

Any advice on this post would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all!!!

Brian
papers - carry as many documentary papers to prove who you are ,as possible - bank statements ; college certs ; birth certs etc that kind of thing . you only need x 4 passport sized pics - check the size with the www.cicgc .ca site for precise size.look at www.tdcanadatrust.com site - they do not require a sin to set up a bank account - you cannot borrow money until after 12 mths with a bank in Canada so !
but - you can qualify for a basic $500 Visa which may help.
Get BC ID from driver services nothing to do with driving okay!- the one at Metrotown is reliable for ID - you need two Govt generated ID for this - utilities statement , passport will do.
Your GB driving licence - you can get an International permit from the GPO for £5 which should help to hire / buy a car and drive in BC for 6 months then you need to take a local test.
Have 2-3 accounts with RBC / CIBC as well to qualify in 12 mths for more banking services.
Use the Wire Transfer service at the bank, for $16 to transfer large sums
- it takes 6- 8 weeks for a foreign check to clear okay!
Always ask questions until you have an answer.
Get a good Notary Public and Insurance agent - my Notary is Elisabeth Rechsteiner at 5050 Kingsway Burnaby 604 433 1911 - near Metrotown , Burnaby, Vancouver BC
She is excellent.
Autoplan do all kind of Insurance and are pretty efficient in my experience.
MSP- look on their site or google it .
Medical service plan -you need to set up after three months to qualify for health insurance or basic health care. You can always use a walk in clinic before that time but they are variable in quality .
Let me know if you need any other info and if in doubt just google it okay!
good luck, Hilary
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 4:05 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 8 wks and have got 2 cars on a 4 yr lease and got a loan from RBC. We were also told to apply for BC medical care cards straight away as it takes 3 mths to come into affect from applying, we recieved are cards 4 days ago, but they wont come into affect till july. Passports ,UK licenses and sin cards have worked hard for us over the last few wks and so have alot of Canadians. After you have arrived and you come back down to earth , take a tip from us and visit your local multiculteral office for new immigrants, they will give you all the infomation you will need to get going, including resumes and jobs. Good Luck
Old Jun 24th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
You will need to have your passport complete with visa and your Confirmation of Permanent Resident paperwork which you received with your visa. You will need all these when getting to passport control.

After passport control you will be directed to an immigration officer. He will need to see the stuff above and may decide to take additional photos for your PR card- you don't need them yourself. He will ask questions relating to your application, just to confirm details and you may get asked to provide proof of funds (bank statements etc). We did not get asked for this, but were simply asked how much money we had and this was noted - this is money you physically have on you and any other funds you have available in banks etc. The $10k is inclusive of all funds so will be cash, travelers cheques etc.

With baggage, you will need to have two copies of your goods accompanying you and two copies of goods to follow (Forms B4 & B4a) or do your own. The officer will complete some paperwork and give you a copy to allow you to collect your goods to follow when they arrive.

That is all you will need to enter Canada. For the first couple of weeks you will need to register for your Social Insurance Number (SIN), Health Card, Driving License etc.

For these you will need the relevant forms which can be downloaded from the internet or you will find them in the Welcome to Canada pack you will receive at immigration. You will also need your passports and Confirmation of Permanent Resident paperwork which you will have been given back at immigration. Check with the application forms to see if you need any other form of ID. All photos for health, driving license etc are taken by officials, so you do not need to supply photos.

SIN application form can be found here. http://www.muchmorcanada.com/index.p...8&Itemid=10691.
The other forms were completed by the officials for us, but check as each province may be different.

Hope this helps and good luck
Jane
Hmm, I'm a bit confused now, (easily done), do we or do we not need to take photos with us when we land? The CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/arriving.asp) does not mention photos as a requirement but obviously those landed immigrants on here do. It makes sense that we would need them, but can someone confirm yes or no and how many per person... Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
I had planned on having a rack sack and my laptop bag but then after calling airline company they said I can only have one so better off getting a proper hand luggege bag and fit laptop in there. I bought one which is around 56x45x25cm. So will try to get laptop and some extra clothes in there.
www.baa.com

But also remember - EACH AIRLINE HAS THEIR OWN RESTRICTION AS FOR SIZE AND WEIGHT!!!!

This means that the regulated size on the baa.com can never be exceeded but quite often airlines will have a smaller size regulation. Lufthansa is one where size and weight will never allow me to carry laptop, digital SLR + lenses, make-up, travel documents, a change of underwear, ipod, earbuds etc. Which is why I've gone and gotten a shoulder briefcase that looks small enough to hold absolutely nothing more than laptop and mags but can carry all of the above and look feather light (until I've checked in, gone around the corner and then promptly find a trolley as it weighs a ton).
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
Check out this chart. It has most of the major airlines on it.

http://www.muchmorcanada.com/index.p...7&Itemid=10714
Sadly the chart is wrong. Lufthansa only allows 2 bags and 23kg each for checked in luggage in economy.

Just as with correct information about visas and immigration (go to cic.gc.ca or whatever the link is) always check with the airline you are flying.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 3:11 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by smitp11
Hmm, I'm a bit confused now, (easily done), do we or do we not need to take photos with us when we land? The CIC website (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...d/arriving.asp) does not mention photos as a requirement but obviously those landed immigrants on here do. It makes sense that we would need them, but can someone confirm yes or no and how many per person... Thanks.
We were not asked to bring any additional photos, nor were we asked for any when we landed. The officer processing us looked at the photo which was attached to our landing papers (already sent the pics for this when getting visa) said she would be happier with a different picture and took one very quickly herself. This was the photo that then appeared on our PR cards when we got them in the post a few weeks later.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 4:32 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

As above, but didn't need any more taken at airport.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Lots of good info on this thread, I'd add though, if you have kids you may need their birth certificates to register them in school - we needed ours in BC. I think it varies from school to school, but best to have them handy.
Also, before we came we were told that kids needed full immunisation records before they could be registered in school. No one's asked us yet, and our's started in school two weeks ago...
On the baggage limits with airports, I did some digging on this before we left and increasingly it looks like one suitcase is the limit in the hold, or they specify the dimensions, ie a total measurement of height x depth x length of 61ish". Worth looking at the airport and airline websites. Plus a weight restriction of around 23ish pounds. Hand luggage is restricted to one item which conforms to size and weight limits, and what you can carry to North America is different to other destinations.
Interestingly internal US/Canadian flights are less strict, so as we were going via a holiday in the US we ended up buying more luggage en route!
Old Jun 28th 2007, 11:00 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
On the baggage limits with airports, I did some digging on this before we left and increasingly it looks like one suitcase is the limit in the hold, or they specify the dimensions, ie a total measurement of height x depth x length of 61ish".

Just checked with Manchester Airport and Air Canada and we are allowed 2 check-in cases at 23kg each and 1 carry-on bag weighing 10kg. Both have size limits but well over what we need. Miles better than any charter airline.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

caththecanuck is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew out here with BA and we were allowed 2x23kgs each, but this was out of season, don't know if that makes a difference???????
we went to the airport thinking we would have to pay for extra luggage but all went through fine, and I think ALL airlines are 1 piece of hand luggage, I think a rucksack is best, nicely expandable..... and easy to carry!!!

We also had all of our documents with us originals and copies, were well-prepared and not really asked any questions... quite easy really, although this was just a temp visa, when we land for real it may be a different matter...

Best of luck,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.