Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in another Province

Landing in another Province

Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Ad 12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing in another Province

We are doing it the very hard way. I am on an operational tour in Iraq leaving my wife to pack up the house in Germany whilst selling a flat and a house in Germany. Between getting out of here and flying to Canada we have left 10 days in which to ship the car, pack and load the house. The question we have been posed by friends who recently moved was is there any issue over landing in Nova Scotia (to pick up the car in Halifax) and then settling in Ottawa (where I have a job lined up)? I can't see there is, but my wife is understandable on the verge of being a nervous wreck and is worrying!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in another Province

Originally Posted by Ad 12345
We are doing it the very hard way. I am on an operational tour in Iraq leaving my wife to pack up the house in Germany whilst selling a flat and a house in Germany. Between getting out of here and flying to Canada we have left 10 days in which to ship the car, pack and load the house. The question we have been posed by friends who recently moved was is there any issue over landing in Nova Scotia (to pick up the car in Halifax) and then settling in Ottawa (where I have a job lined up)? I can't see there is, but my wife is understandable on the verge of being a nervous wreck and is worrying!
Nope.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you're entering Canada via Ontario's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the immigration officer at your port of entry probably will ask you about your intentions to proceed from Nova Scotia to the province that has nominated you, namely, Ontario.

Even then this is not a problem. You are not obliged to land in the province that has nominated you. If your job was in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, for example, it would be impossible for you to land in Moose Jaw. There are no flights that depart from Europe and land in Moose Jaw (or even in Saskatchewan, as far as I'm aware). So it would be unreasonable to force someone who was coming in via one of the PNPs to enter the country directly by the province that had nominated him/her.

With that having been said, you do need to be able to satisfy the immigration officer at your port of entry that you are sincere in your intention to proceed to the province that nominated you.

If you are not coming in via one of the PNPs, it doesn't matter at which port of entry you land. You don't need to explain your choice of flight destination to anyone.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the packing. It's brutal, I know.
x
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Does the car your shipping meet the Canadian Import regulations as below. Basicly if it is not 15 years or older you aint got a cat in hells chance of bringing it into Canada as I believe they are very very strict on this. Maybe I am not understanding the above in red correctly though.

Cheers Dave

VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured

Also

As your obviously military and leaving on your return from OP's will you have any immediate pension benefits when you leave i.e. Lump sum because if you do then this will also have immplications regarding tax if your in Canada when it's paid to you.

See these threads:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453109

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509954

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Jun 20th 2008 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

FK00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Judy,

I am wondering on what it would take for me to change my destination from Toronto, ON to Charlotte Town, PE..... is there like any paper work that needs to be done ahead of my arrival in Canada or I just state my intention to the officer at the port of entry?!

We are not entering under the PNP and our destination as per our application is Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

FK

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you're entering Canada via Ontario's Provincial Nominee Program (PNP), the immigration officer at your port of entry probably will ask you about your intentions to proceed from Nova Scotia to the province that has nominated you, namely, Ontario.

Even then this is not a problem. You are not obliged to land in the province that has nominated you. If your job was in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, for example, it would be impossible for you to land in Moose Jaw. There are no flights that depart from Europe and land in Moose Jaw (or even in Saskatchewan, as far as I'm aware). So it would be unreasonable to force someone who was coming in via one of the PNPs to enter the country directly by the province that had nominated him/her.

With that having been said, you do need to be able to satisfy the immigration officer at your port of entry that you are sincere in your intention to proceed to the province that nominated you.

If you are not coming in via one of the PNPs, it doesn't matter at which port of entry you land. You don't need to explain your choice of flight destination to anyone.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the packing. It's brutal, I know.
x
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It's not an obligation (PNP and Quebec excepted), it's just for their stats. OH put Calgary as his destination, actually landed in Toronto and then went on to live in Winnipeg. It really doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by FK00
Hi Judy,

I am wondering on what it would take for me to change my destination from Toronto, ON to Charlotte Town, PE..... is there like any paper work that needs to be done ahead of my arrival in Canada or I just state my intention to the officer at the port of entry?!

We are not entering under the PNP and our destination as per our application is Toronto.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

FK
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:31 am
Just Joined

FK00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Biiiiink

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It's not an obligation (PNP and Quebec excepted), it's just for their stats. OH put Calgary as his destination, actually landed in Toronto and then went on to live in Winnipeg. It really doesn't matter.