Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Landing in Alberta via Coutts/Montana border

Landing in Alberta via Coutts/Montana border

Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice
Question Landing in Alberta via Coutts/Montana border

Hi - I am preparing to land from within Canada as a UK Spousal sponsorship PR

Can I land via Coutts on the Montana border ? Are there Immigration Services there and is it possible during a weekend - ie on a Sunday ? Or do I need to plan my trip during the week ?

Many thanks if anyone can answer !

Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:46 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing in Alberta via Coutts/Montana border

Originally Posted by Ralphstars
Hi - I am preparing to land from within Canada as a UK Spousal sponsorship PR

Can I land via Coutts on the Montana border ? Are there Immigration Services there and is it possible during a weekend - ie on a Sunday ? Or do I need to plan my trip during the week ?

Many thanks if anyone can answer !

24 hr border crossing and yes you can land there

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list.../#.U0IfRfnxqWY
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:59 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Another yes here.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
24 hr border crossing and yes you can land there

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/list.../#.U0IfRfnxqWY
It's not 24 hours for immigration entry though. 0730hrs to 2300hrs.

Tim
Old Apr 7th 2014, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ralphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really niceRalphstars is just really nice

Originally Posted by tim010
It's not 24 hours for immigration entry though. 0730hrs to 2300hrs.

Tim
I struggled hugely to get to speak to anyone on any of the cic or border services numbers available using the web link or get the information I was looking for from the recorded messages but thanks for the advice so far -
So I can Land with my COPR on any day of the week at Coutts but only between 07.30 ad 23.00 hrs ?

Thanks everyone
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can do it at Carway if you want, shorter drive.

If you're driving down there is always this problem that if you tell CBP this is the reason you're entering the US they put you down as technically denied entry, which can possibly cause problems on visits to the US in the future.

You might want to make a trip down to Great Falls and do some shopping and use your visa on the way back. Or have a nose around Kalispell.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 5:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

So I can Land with my COPR on any day of the week at Coutts but only between 07.30 ad 23.00 hrs ?
News to me but that's what it says on the CBSA website, I've been into Coutts POE many times, not sure why they couldn't process a visa outside those hours as the desk is always open. Must need some person who isn't always on-duty.

What really annoys me is the NEXUS lane is only open 3-5pm, M-F, these are apparently "peak hours" which is also news to me.

What happens at Sweet Grass is that it takes three hours to get there from Calgary so from 11-12 there is usually a fair bit of build-up and then 2-3 it happens again as everyone from Edmonton gets there.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
You can do it at Carway if you want, shorter drive.

If you're driving down there is always this problem that if you tell CBP this is the reason you're entering the US they put you down as technically denied entry, which can possibly cause problems on visits to the US in the future.

You might want to make a trip down to Great Falls and do some shopping and use your visa on the way back. Or have a nose around Kalispell.

So no need to mention on entering the US for the shopping weekend that we intend to activate our PR on returning to Canada so they don't do the administrative refusal thing ? We knew that doing the " flag poling " thing would mean the technical refusal so we had already intended to make it a weekend trip to GF or Kalispell

Thanks again !
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:07 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

So no need to mention on entering the US for the shopping weekend that we intend to activate our PR on returning to Canada so they don't do the administrative refusal thing ? We knew that doing the " flag poling " thing would mean the technical refusal so we had already intended to make it a weekend trip to GF or Kalispell

Thanks again !
Kalispell is much nicer than GF imo
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I did mine at Carway after hearing other people at my company had problems at Coutts, having turned up when they were busy.
Very rare they're busy at Carway.
Done & dusted in about 20 mins.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 2:47 pm

We did ours at Carway too, really friendly there. They even retook our photos for free in case the ones we had were not quite right.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilg14
I did mine at Carway after hearing other people at my company had problems at Coutts, having turned up when they were busy.
Very rare they're busy at Carway.
Done & dusted in about 20 mins.
Carway seems a good plan then ! We are in Lethbridge so either is not too far - I had a nice Immigration Officer when we arrived in Calgary to land with my son requesting a 12month Visitors Permit and they stamped it to allow him to go to school too - it took about 30 mins to approve but we had all the documents he asked us for and he was nice to us - the female officer in the next booth was giving people a hard time ! !

Assume Carway immigration desk is open on a Sunday ?
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Carway seems a good plan then ! We are in Lethbridge so either is not too far - I had a nice Immigration Officer when we arrived in Calgary to land with my son requesting a 12month Visitors Permit and they stamped it to allow him to go to school too - it took about 30 mins to approve but we had all the documents he asked us for and he was nice to us - the female officer in the next booth was giving people a hard time ! !

Assume Carway immigration desk is open on a Sunday ?
I think you can google them and it tells you their hours.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 4:44 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

We did ours at Carway - got there told them we were shopping / weekend getaway trip for 4 days then going to land on the way back.

The US decided that I should land straight away (so refused me entry) we turned around, went back into Canada - landed and then came straight back to the US for our trip???

When we re entered the US again, I filled out the form that says "have you ever been denied entry" as "yes" and the bloke said "why did you put that??? So I said "well half an hour ago you denied me entry??? and I'm not gonna lie" he huffed and puffed, wrote something on the form and said "don't EVER put you were denied entry again as it could cause problems"
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
We did ours at Carway - got there told them we were shopping / weekend getaway trip for 4 days then going to land on the way back.

The US decided that I should land straight away (so refused me entry) we turned around, went back into Canada - landed and then came straight back to the US for our trip???

When we re entered the US again, I filled out the form that says "have you ever been denied entry" as "yes" and the bloke said "why did you put that??? So I said "well half an hour ago you denied me entry??? and I'm not gonna lie" he huffed and puffed, wrote something on the form and said "don't EVER put you were denied entry again as it could cause problems"
That's exactly what I don't want to happen ! So I shall enter US as a 'shopper' and say nothing - then return to Canada telling them at that point my intention to officially 'Land' as a PR 😊

Is Carway open for Activating PRs on a Sunday ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.