Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

land rover defender in canada?

land rover defender in canada?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:02 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of
Default Re: land rover defender in canada?

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
well ford f150, ford ranger, .
Odd. Im almost certain that the Ranger has never been offered with a V8. Its a compact truck.

So unless it was an engine transplant job you might be talking out off a different orifice. Even the crap emissions strangled V8s of the late 70s and early 80s would have more torque at highway speeds than a normally aspirated LR diesel.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I don't think you are going to enjoy the automotive experience in Canada. Turgid V6/V8's, wallowy suspension and poor fuel economy is the norm. It's a sad state of affairs when I long for the simple pleasures of a Ford Focus TDCI.
i know, thats why i was wanting a landy, so at least it would be familiar, even if not great handling.

but as the second car, the subaru impreza wrx STI that im going to get wont have many faults in that department!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Odd. Im almost certain that the Ranger has never been offered with a V8. Its a compact truck.

So unless it was an engine transplant job you might be talking out off a different orifice. Even the crap emissions strangled V8s of the late 70s and early 80s would have more torque at highway speeds than a normally aspirated LR diesel.
well im on about the V6 ranger.

and not a NA landy, a TDI diesel is the one im talking about.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

i have been in a mustang.

im a traffic officer in the police, advanced driver, pursuit driver etc etc, so fairly happy when it comes to driving at speed and can give a pretty good comparison. so bit more real experience than a computer game. are you trained to do high speed driving on the public roads at 140mph?

Trained, no. Do it, yes. I very much enjoyed travelling 100 miles in an hour in
the Mustang I ran until a couple of years ago. The fastest I've driven today was 110mph, in the gaymobile, that's not a speed I imagine one can attain in an old Land Rover.

as for the big blocks, well ford f150, ford ranger, some buicks spring to mind as being especially slow. in fact most cars/trucks i have been in are hardly exhillarating. 200 horse power from a 5 litre is poor by any standard. i can get more power than that from my 1.9 diesel, and it will still do 45mpg.
I'm having trouble finding quarter mile figures for diesel Land Rovers, perhaps people don't commonly race them. I can't even find 0-60mph times, do they go 60mph?

There is some stuff on the web about diesel Range Rovers:

"Performance is perfectly acceptable, once you learn to plan overtaking manoeuvres and allow for the car's sheer bulk."

"It's certainly a quantum leap over the old 2.5 unit. Power is up 30 per cent to 174bhp, while torque rises to 390Nm. As a result, the 0-60mph time drops from 14.3 seconds to 13.6"

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/06032006/45...-diesel-0.html

Here's a piece in which the F150 is criticised for not matching the Silverado's 0-60mph time of 7 seconds. The Ford takes 8:

http://www.superonda.com/news/story....ronda_magazine
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally, if the thrust of your argument is that British cars give you more of the horn than American ones then I understand that, lots of American cars are deathly dull. However it's just silly to argue than recent American vehicles have worse suspension and performance than old Land Rovers; the better Americana has excellent engineering and offers exciting vehicles people can afford. GM's Pontiac Solstice GXP, for example, offers a great deal of speed and handling for twenty grand.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Trained, no. Do it, yes. I very much enjoyed travelling 100 miles in an hour in
the Mustang I ran until a couple of years ago. The fastest I've driven today was 110mph, in the gaymobile, that's not a speed I imagine one can attain in an old Land Rover.

I'm having trouble finding quarter mile figures for diesel Land Rovers, perhaps people don't commonly race them. I can't even find 0-60mph times, do they go 60mph?

There is some stuff on the web about diesel Range Rovers:

"Performance is perfectly acceptable, once you learn to plan overtaking manoeuvres and allow for the car's sheer bulk."

"It's certainly a quantum leap over the old 2.5 unit. Power is up 30 per cent to 174bhp, while torque rises to 390Nm. As a result, the 0-60mph time drops from 14.3 seconds to 13.6"

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/06032006/45...-diesel-0.html

Here's a piece in which the F150 is criticised for not matching the Silverado's 0-60mph time of 7 seconds. The Ford takes 8:

http://www.superonda.com/news/story....ronda_magazine

i believe the new landy td5 is about 13 secs 0-60. but comparing it against the biggest engined f150 is hardly a fair comparison.

anyway, this is going way off topic, the landrover has acceptable speed for whats its used for, perfectly comfortable to use on any road/traffic situation.

like i said the STI will do me for the speed side of things! 300hp from a 2 litre engine
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Incidentally, if the thrust of your argument is that British cars give you more of the horn than American ones then I understand that, lots of American cars are deathly dull. However it's just silly to argue than recent American vehicles have worse suspension and performance than old Land Rovers; the better Americana has excellent engineering and offers exciting vehicles people can afford. GM's Pontiac Solstice GXP, for example, offers a great deal of speed and handling for twenty grand.
i agree, but you mst admit the mustangs suspension is stone age.
i think they were hankering back to the old horse wagons of the wild west.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

i agree, but you mst admit the mustangs suspension is stone age.
i think they were hankering back to the old horse wagons of the wild west.
If what you want is to cross an empty car park covered in ice sideways with the top down it's a blast. Practical, well, not so much.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:33 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

GM's Pontiac Solstice GXP, for example, offers a great deal of speed and handling for twenty grand.
Twenty Grand? In your dreams. I dont think you can get in the base now with change from 30k after taxes, and the turbo one is more like 35k plus tax.

Besides, wasnt that a European car essentially, a vauxhall VX220/ opel GT more specifically.

Other good handling US cars, like the 300M/Charger/Magnum, were based on the last gen Merc E class.

The mustang suspension is stone age for a reason, it doesn't break when you try and put 500ftlb of torque through it while peeling off the line. Thats what makes mustangs fun. There are no bends in most of the roads here anyway, so its all about acceleration and surviving potholes.

Short of the Corvette, Saleens and the GT40, I cant think of too many truly US engineered sporty cars that do corners well, but thats hardly relevant to discussion of Landys. I think it odd to dismiss Jeeps out of hand, they essentially do the exact same thing as an LR, often better in extreme form, but with big gas engines and steel bodies.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 24th 2007 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

im beginning to think unless LR start selling them new again i wont get one. so fingers crossed.
Assuming Land Rover still exist and assuming it happens, they want to sell the Defender replacement in North America, 2010 I think it's slated for?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Roos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really niceRoos here is just really nice

Hi,

Not meaning to chirp in, but i have driven both the jeep and the defender, and the new 2007 jeep is really good especially the new 4 door wrangler, if fact that is what my wife wants when we land, you can test them over here at the moment, but they haven't brought out the deisel in NA yet.

Whereas i am after the grand cherokee srt8....SUV and fast !!!

Roo.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
I think it odd to dismiss Jeeps out of hand, they essentially do the exact same thing as an LR, often better in extreme form, but with big gas engines and steel bodies.
What exactly is it that people do for which a Land Rover or Jeep is well suited?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:06 pm
Canadiain

What exactly is it that people do for which a Land Rover or Jeep is well suited?
Off road trail driving..you know, the sort of thing off road clubs get up too...

Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
they want to sell the Defender replacement in North America
Are there any pictures of this anywhere?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
Are there any pictures of this anywhere?
No, I read it somewhere. Will dig around and see where.

Edit: this isn't where I read it, but they have old drawings of a rumour of a 2008 Defender that proved to be completely false. They wonder if they might be drawings of the 2010 replacement instead? http://tinyurl.com/29enjn

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jul 24th 2007 at 2:16 pm. Reason: Added link

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.