Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

land rover defender in canada?

land rover defender in canada?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:24 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of
Default Re: land rover defender in canada?

You do realise she not real, right?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
NOOOOO its not true you lie for sure

Bugger never mind eh.

LOAFY
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:06 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Anjelina Jolie's real alright...... Just some of her front bumper accessories aren't Alledgedly
Old Jul 24th 2007, 3:45 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

i drove a defender in northern ireland and the falklands and would agree that they are solid and pretty indestructible, but that does not mean they are reliable, they were constantly serviced i remember and parts changed regularly.
there will always be the odd car of virtually any make that will run and run. i remember a vw golf a while ago in the news that had completed 350,000 miles.
never forget the item on top gear just before i left that featured a leaked memo from landrover which predicted a 49% failure rate across the range in the first year. not good that they themselves acknowledge the product is crap yet trade on reputation and kudos of the badge.
go toyota, hundreds of african militia can't be wrong.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:40 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

I like this one.
Attached Thumbnails land rover defender in canada?-nemesis_cover01.jpg  
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
I like this one.
Ah yes the Bowler one off supersports off roader, fast agile and back breaking, breath taking speed. All you need to out run the millitia. lol .
LOAFY...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

thanks for all the repies.

a jeep is not an option, i dont even put them in the same league. they are absolutely rubbish in my eyes. id rather walk!

im beginning to think unless LR start selling them new again i wont get one. so fingers crossed.
as for the acceleration on a landy, yeh its nothing special, but ive driven worse, especially lot of big block american cars/trucks which make the landy feel like a F1 car in both accellertion and handling. the diesel engines in them are excellent, and during the floods this week i was using a borrowed army land rover to rescue most of a village, and i was the only vehicle that could get through. none of the modern 4x4's stood a chance.

i do quite like the look of the toyota FJ cruiser, seems to be a modern take on the the landy. has anyone got one/tried one??
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
never forget the item on top gear just before i left that featured a leaked memo from landrover which predicted a 49% failure rate across the range in the first year. not good that they themselves .

Oh, I never realised that got into the public domain. I do recall seeing it back in 2000 after moving to LR from Ford. Basically said that you could spend 50K on a RR and it would be virtually guaranteed to break down in the first 3 years badly enough to need recovery services. Which made the arrogance and superiority of some of the LR people a little hard to bear. I had a couple of Disco's as company cars & was damn glad I wasn't paying 30k for them. When I left and had to spend my own money on a car I went Jap - Isuzu and never looked back!

(I'd still have a Defender though. Sad isn't it. Although I did have a Series 3 for a while so am clearly not normal.)
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
thanks for all the repies.

a jeep is not an option, i dont even put them in the same league. they are absolutely rubbish in my eyes. id rather walk!

im beginning to think unless LR start selling them new again i wont get one. so fingers crossed.
as for the acceleration on a landy, yeh its nothing special, but ive driven worse, especially lot of big block american cars/trucks which make the landy feel like a F1 car in both accellertion and handling. the diesel engines in them are excellent, and during the floods this week i was using a borrowed army land rover to rescue most of a village, and i was the only vehicle that could get through. none of the modern 4x4's stood a chance.

i do quite like the look of the toyota FJ cruiser, seems to be a modern take on the the landy. has anyone got one/tried one??
The TJ/Wrangler remains the closest and IMHO only true Defender competitor. Rather like the Defender for LR's, the TJ/Wrangler is now probably the only Jeep I'd buy.

The FJ seems popular but I don't like the look myself. The Nissan XTerra might be worth a look also as thats the most serious offroader they do. Apart from that you could always get a Hummer!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The TJ/Wrangler remains the closest and IMHO only true Defender competitor. Rather like the Defender for LR's, the TJ/Wrangler is now probably the only Jeep I'd buy.

The FJ seems popular but I don't like the look myself. The Nissan XTerra might be worth a look also as thats the most serious offroader they do. Apart from that you could always get a Hummer!
hmm, hummer, no thanks. id like 20+ mpg, not 2. plus i cant bring myself to buy anything american. and the landy has always appealed as its not a bad drive on road and would suit me as can fit bikes and stuff in the back easily.

yeh the FJ's looks are a bit striking, but im guessing it being toyota it will drive like a dream on road, and seems to tick the boxes in terms of filling it with sports gear and playing around in too. plus its cheap!

ill look at the x terra
thanks
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

as for the acceleration on a landy, yeh its nothing special, but ive driven worse, especially lot of big block american cars/trucks which make the landy feel like a F1 car in both accellertion and handling. the diesel engines in them are excellent
Which big block American cars or trucks make a diesel Land Rover feel like a
F1 car? Is it the V8 Mustang Cobra? The F150 Lightning? The Quebec Camaro?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Which big block American cars or trucks make a diesel Land Rover feel like a
F1 car? Is it the V8 Mustang Cobra? The F150 Lightning? The Quebec Camaro?
they are hardly a fair comparison, but the handling wouldnt be any worse than any of them!! in fact the series 1 landrover has better suspension technology than the mustang!! lol.

ive been in pleanty of big 5L + asthmatic american engined cars which are hardly brisk. in fact my old 994cc mini would leave them for dead.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

they are hardly a fair comparison, but the handling wouldnt be any worse than any of them!! in fact the series 1 landrover has better suspension technology than the mustang!! lol.
Perhaps you should try a Mustang on the road rather than in a video game.

ive been in pleanty of big 5L + asthmatic american engined cars which are hardly brisk. in fact my old 994cc mini would leave them for dead.
Examples please.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps you should try a Mustang on the road rather than in a video game.

Examples please.
i have been in a mustang.

im a traffic officer in the police, advanced driver, pursuit driver etc etc, so fairly happy when it comes to driving at speed and can give a pretty good comparison. so bit more real experience than a computer game. are you trained to do high speed driving on the public roads at 140mph?

as for the big blocks, well ford f150, ford ranger, some buicks spring to mind as being especially slow. in fact most cars/trucks i have been in are hardly exhillarating. 200 horse power from a 5 litre is poor by any standard. i can get more power than that from my 1.9 diesel, and it will still do 45mpg.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 12:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

as for the big blocks, well ford f150, ford ranger, some buicks spring to mind as being especially slow. in fact most cars/trucks i have been in are hardly exhillarating. 200 horse power from a 5 litre is poor by any standard. i can get more power than that from my 1.9 diesel, and it will still do 45mpg.
I don't think you are going to enjoy the automotive experience in Canada. Turgid V6/V8's, wallowy suspension and poor fuel economy is the norm. It's a sad state of affairs when I long for the simple pleasures of a Ford Focus TDCI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.