Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

land rover defender in canada?

land rover defender in canada?

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:31 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: land rover defender in canada?

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Still, even factoring the cost of fixing a Jeep now and then and replacing them when the rust becomes too much, its still probably more cost effective than running a LR in Canada.
But that the point the body I believe is largely aluminium sheet and dosn't rust,
The engine may lack any acceleration, but once set up well seems to go on forever with little more than an oil change
Over its complete life cycle land rovers are very cheap to run
still I think that only applies because its a very very long life compared to most cars
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:38 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MikeUK
But that the point the body I believe is largely aluminium sheet and dosn't rust,
The engine may lack any acceleration, but once set up well seems to go on forever with little more than an oil change
Over its complete life cycle land rovers are very cheap to run
still I think that only applies because its a very very long life compared to most cars

Problem with the LR is that there is no supply or demand in Canada, so parts and more importantly experienced people to keep them going on the rare occasion they do go wrong are few and far between, unlike Jeeps which are common as muck and generally cheap / easy to fix.

In North America the Jeep is king. In far flung corners of empire it might be the LR, but in reality if my life depended on it, I'd go with the Toyota anyway.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy this one on ebay.ca

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Land-Rover-Defend...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:07 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

In North America the Jeep is king. In far flung corners of empire it might be the LR, but in reality if my life depended on it, I'd go with the Toyota anyway.
I'll be honset I've seen so many Jeeps that have rusted out I have little good to say about them

But I think this vid says it all for the Toyota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Last edited by MikeUK; Jul 23rd 2007 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

Seriously, the word you are looking for here is JEEP. Cheaper to buy, easier to maintain over here, just as uncomfortable and horrible to drive on paved roads
I'm afraid to say that's exactly what I did.
I desperately wanted a 110 or a Disco but the maintenance costs were scary - I got a jeep which has a certain amount of credibility but to be honest, I'm still crying on the inside.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
its quite possibly the greatest car ever made. something like 3/4 of them ever made are still on the road.
its the best off roader you can buy apart from special made things.
its the first car ever seen by 60% of the worlds population.
i just love them, could never afford on here in the UK, hopefully the rumours will be true and landrover will start selling them again soon in canada.
I recently emailed an old primary school classmate (via Friends Reunited) saying that I used to have a crush on her because her father drove her to school in a green Land Rover.

She never replied and has probably taken out a restraining order on me.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

I nearly bought an Army Land Rover in Hong Kong in the lead up to the handover but it would have taken 8,000 pounds to make it street legal.

I do like Land Rovers
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'll be honset I've seen so many Jeeps that have rusted out I have little good to say about them

But I think this vid says it all for the Toyota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk
Toyotas rust around the wheel arches.
Attached Thumbnails land rover defender in canada?-picture-148.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-picture-009.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:43 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Defenders are Alu but of course the chassis is metal and they rust to buggery. So do the bulkheads and well, pretty much anything else. The ergonomics are crap and they cost a bomb new. But yes, I'd love one. Preferably the 2001 110 'Tomb Raider' Special!

Owning a Jeep though is a fair facsimile of the LandRover ownership experience. Build quality is similarly atrocious. For example I took my 2006 Liberty Diesel for a 10k service today. (Actually had done 14k). As well as the $107 oil change because it takes some fancy synthetic oil made from Unicorn livers or something similarly exotic, it had $900 of warranty work done including the complete replacement of brake discs (rotors) and shoes. Not bad for a 1 year old vehicle eh?!

Leasing for no more than the warranty period (36 months) is the only way to go IMHO. That way you can hand the think back when it starts to fall apart and cost!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:03 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Leasing for no more than the warranty period (36 months) is the only way to go IMHO. That way you can hand the think back when it starts to fall apart and cost!
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Found
On
Rubbish
Dump

Bring
Mechanic
With
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 7:45 pm
Canadiain

Lumpy
And
Nasty
Defender

Requires
Oil,
Very
Expensive
Repairs?

too much time on my hands methinks.....
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

N
o
t
i
a
i
n
k
h
o
n
e
s
t

I can't be bothered.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 8:52 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'd heard of them prior to moving to the UK (unlike Vauxhalls & Fiats!) so I'm sure its not impossible to get your hands on if you have the mega cash like previous posters suggest.

Keep in mind that due to the fact that there are ALOT of off-road or country dirt roads still in Canada, owning a 4x4 is more necessary then in the UK so there are ALOT of big name 4x4 SUV (sports utility vehicle) it also goes along way to controlling your vehicle in the (sometimes VERY deep) snow and ice of winter.

I'm NOT licensed yet so cant give you personal experience (only got a Canadians Learners permit right now ) but my parents bought a Ford Bronco 4x4 which lasted them the first 8 years until mum decided to treat herself to a luxury car upgrade & sold it off.

Personally, my ideal car will probably be a Subbie (Subaru) as they have a high standard of 4x4 drive and seem to have the best handling in extreme weather. My bro owned one of the sporty models Subaru ZX something and although expensive for taxes/insurance/repairs (being a foreign made car) he couldnt stop talking about how much of a pleasure it was to drive in all weather conditions and he was gutted when he had to sell it for a more 'family' oriented model with large boot/trunk space... he stuck to a second hand Subbie for that too and my other brother bought a coup stick shift model himself and loves it too!
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

I had a very nice Jeep Cherokee 2.5 tdi which was a great car and would pull a house down with the amount of torque it had and wasn't that bad a drive but i now have a Freelander which is in comparison slow on the uptake and is to say the least a bit tractor ish thou is still a excellent vehicle for what i want.
Then again there is the Land rover Defender which in my view is a excellent vehicle for all roads and conditions and a certain lovely lady drives one too HE HE..

LOAFY...
Attached Thumbnails land rover defender in canada?-tomb-02.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-tomb-04.jpg   land rover defender in canada?-tomb-03.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.