Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Laid off on a Friday. Mmmmm.... nice!

Laid off on a Friday. Mmmmm.... nice!

Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice
Default Laid off on a Friday. Mmmmm.... nice!

Well, just got laid off from my first job here after only 3 weeks on a Friday afternoon which was refreshing.
As an electrician in the UK, getting laid off on a Friday afternoon is considered bang out of order. The least they could do is let you know mid-week so you can try and get something else. Apparently not so here.
I can honestly say I gave 100% every day and was worked like a dog. Never worked harder in my life.
The foreman was a rude stresshead bastard who bullied the apprentices, and was unnecessarily short, humourless, and backstabbing. Piece of shit tried to shake my hand as I left, and I gave him a bollocking for a change, should have seen his chin hit the floor!
It was the only good thing to come out of the day, other than one of the other sparks taking me for a beer to chill out.
So now my girlfriend and I are back in the shit, skint, with the rent to pay.
No-one said it would be easy I know, but I hope all Canadian employers are not as cynically exploitative.
On the bright side it's Canadian experience on the resume, and hopefully one door closes and another one opens. I'll be pounding the streets again Monday morning.
What's the general consensus on Canadian employers then? Have I just had a bad first experience?

Bozo
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:41 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Laid off on a Friday. Mmmmm.... nice!

Originally Posted by bozonightmare
Well, just got laid off from my first job here after only 3 weeks on a Friday afternoon which was refreshing.
As an electrician in the UK, getting laid off on a Friday afternoon is considered bang out of order. The least they could do is let you know mid-week so you can try and get something else. Apparently not so here.
I can honestly say I gave 100% every day and was worked like a dog. Never worked harder in my life.
The foreman was a rude stresshead bastard who bullied the apprentices, and was unnecessarily short, humourless, and backstabbing. Piece of shit tried to shake my hand as I left, and I gave him a bollocking for a change, should have seen his chin hit the floor!
It was the only good thing to come out of the day, other than one of the other sparks taking me for a beer to chill out.
No-one said it would be easy I know, but I hope all Canadian employers are not as cynically exploitative.
On the bright side it's Canadian experience on the resume, and hopefully one door closes and another one opens. I'll be pounding the streets again Monday morning.
What's the general consensus on Canadian employers then? Have I just had a bad first experience?

Bozo
No it's quite common here. It's happened to me a few times. I would rack it up as Canadian experience and move on.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Bozo
I'm very sorry to hear of what happened. I'm sure you'll find a better job with a better employer in no time!
TBH my employers haven't been as great as the ones I had in the UK but they aren't as bad as the one you had.
I've now set up my a business with a Canadian friend. If we ever hire people, there's no way we're ever going to treat them like shit.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond reputePoppit has a reputation beyond repute

Think positive - things happen for a reason, there's a better job for you out there.

Good luck.

Poppit
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:18 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that and I hope you find something new asap.

As a rule of thumb - all construction lay offs happen after noon on a Friday - that way they have got a full week out of you.

Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:08 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

what a twat....did he say why you were let go? Hope you find something quick.

good luck
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

bozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nicebozonightmare is just really nice

There's bundles of work on that job, but they said they've got no work on their other jobs so they've got to bring guys in from other sites.
Absolute bollocks of course. None of the other guys on the firm want to work with that arsehole foreman. As if it wasn't obvious enough they hired another 3rd year apprentice the day they let me go! Another boy he can pick on, that's how he likes it.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:56 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

There's bundles of work on that job, but they said they've got no work on their other jobs so they've got to bring guys in from other sites.
Absolute bollocks of course. None of the other guys on the firm want to work with that arsehole foreman. As if it wasn't obvious enough they hired another 3rd year apprentice the day they let me go! Another boy he can pick on, that's how he likes it.
That's really bad luck. You'll bounce back I'm sure.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

allie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud ofallie2 has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear that. I need some electrical work doing in my condo if you would be interested?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sure thing. Pm me.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

same thing happened to me and i am on a twp took 5 weeks to get a new 1 for the next job luckily i could claim for unemployment benifit because i paid enought in
peter
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

spikeyken is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear it mate, yeah sucks to get pumped especially on a Fri. Guessing you're not on the cards, you working as a subby then (like CIS)? Good luck finding work soon, no more douchebag foreman at least!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

As far as I know there's no cards/cis arrangement here. They hire you direct, deduct your tax, give out contracts at their discretion (ie: not), and pump you when they choose.
Obviously none of this is helped by the economic climate. You can join the union but only if you've passed their interprovincial/red seal.
How's the work picture in London Ken? What do you do? Commercial stuff?

Bozo
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:46 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry Bozo, happened to me not long ago - end Oct 2010. Got a contract Nov, more money.

If it's any consolation, this seems pretty common here. When I was laid off one of my cradle coworkers told me about how she's been laid a bunch of times, at my new job the recruiter was commiserating with me as she had also been laid off in the past year, etc. etc. So it's not necessarily personal and it happens to Canadians too. It's just a much more hire/fire culture.

Good luck and may you find something soon.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:00 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting shit canned on a Friday seems to be a N.American thing, not sure why.... Bit rude really!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.