Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The lady didn't pay tax!

The lady didn't pay tax!

Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The lady didn't pay tax!

Originally Posted by hwp
Good grief...

Yes they do.

First Nations people often pay up just as everyone else does. To be tax exempt they have to use the goods on a reserve (in BC the goods have to be purchased on or delivered to a reserve for the person to get a tax exemption - or suppose to be) and the person has to be 'Status Indians' ... many First Nations/aborignal people are not 'Status Indians' and neither are Metis people or Inuit peoples.

That idea that First Nations peoples pay no taxes is a myth... I can't believe that people actually still believe it.

Semantics innit...OK "some" First nations who live on the reserve aka "Status Indians" dont pay tax.

Is that better? I was in a hurry...had a meeting to get to. Sometimes work interferes with my posting here
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by howard1966
The borders of their nation crosses both the US and Canada.
For proof of this go to Hogansburg, NY and head north and you can cross into Canada (St Regis, QC) without any border formality...the same goes into Snye, QC....you have no way of knowing when you are in NY or QC.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:52 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
Semantics innit...OK "some" First nations who live on the reserve aka "Status Indians" dont pay tax.

Is that better? I was in a hurry...had a meeting to get to. Sometimes work interferes with my posting here

Semantics, schemantics.

Who and in what context a person gets a tax exemption is an important distinction because 'that myth' is used by racists in Canada to promote their hatred. I'm not implying that you're a racist. I'm just suggesting why I don't think it's just semantics.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
Semantics, schemantics.

Who and in what context a person gets a tax exemption is an important distinction because 'that myth' is used by racists in Canada to promote their hatred. I'm not implying that you're a racist. I'm just suggesting why I don't think it's just semantics.
It strikes me that they would still be racist even if the Status Indians did pay tax....the tax thing is just a soft target for them to pin there hatred on and try and egg others on with.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Jingles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hwp
Good grief...

Yes they do.

First Nations people often pay up just as everyone else does. To be tax exempt they have to use the goods on a reserve (in BC the goods have to be purchased on or delivered to a reserve for the person to get a tax exemption - or suppose to be) and the person has to be 'Status Indians' ... many First Nations/aborignal people are not 'Status Indians' and neither are Metis people or Inuit peoples.

That idea that First Nations peoples pay no taxes is a myth... I can't believe that people actually still believe it.

I believe it because a lady I worked with who is a First Nations lady pays no taxes....I used to go shopping with her, and saw for myself; she also told me why because until then I had no idea about her heritage.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:52 pm
Sempai

retsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to allretsujou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracie107
I was in Zellers the other day & whilst queuing the lady in front of me spent $220 on christmas goodies ie. snow globes, pj's, toothpaste, slippers..... when she gave the cashier her credit card she told her "no tax". The lady showed her some sort of photo id and therefore didn't pay the tax.

Why didn't she have to pay & what was the id
The lady was probably a member of a first nations tribe which is exempt from paying taxes. The card she was showing is called a "status card"
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Thanks guys, now I know.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GavinR
The reserves out this way are pretty damned decent with big houses, new hospitals and schools. Where do I sign up?
I couldn't find a smiley face with it's head in it's hands.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Or she could, like me, be a member of a Top Secret, privileged and powerful organisation exempt from such trivialities.

A deposit of $1000 into my Swiss bank account might loosen my lips
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Or she could, like me, be a member of a Top Secret, privileged and powerful organisation exempt from such trivialities.

You mean a Stone Cutter ?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:27 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
I couldn't find a smiley face with it's head in it's hands.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Howard1966, is this who I think it is?
Maybe you are thinking of Howard1944?

Methinks it would be nice to have him back
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:40 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Maybe you are thinking of Howard1944?

Methinks it would be nice to have him back
Yes I was, maybe he's gotten younger.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:02 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You're what's known as a cheap date.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was, maybe he's gotten younger.
If he is 'viewing' he would be amused; he is an old fart just one year younger than myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.