Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The lady didn't pay tax!

The lady didn't pay tax!

Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The lady didn't pay tax!

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
A deposit of $1000 into my Swiss bank account might loosen my lips

You're what's known as a cheap date.
I don't know about that...do you think Hugh Grant paid Divine Brown that much to loosen her lips?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 1:29 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

I know in Cochrane I have one tenant who lived in 'affordable charity housing' and is first nations. She did not pay tax at all, and I actually had to evict her because she earned too much according to her bank statements which was the only proof of earning she could give me. But the good news is that I put her in one of my other rentals, which was far nicer.

The every first nations person (including children) in Cochrane also got $1000 from the goverment last Friday. They also get another $1000 in July.

I do not know why, when and certainly do not understand the logic of it. But having emigrated here and now a canadian citizen I can certainly empthasis with fellow canadians when they see first nations not pay tax and then get paid $2000 per year.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:36 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
The every first nations person (including children) in Cochrane also got $1000 from the goverment last Friday. They also get another $1000 in July.

I do not know why, when and certainly do not understand the logic of it. But having emigrated here and now a canadian citizen I can certainly empthasis with fellow canadians when they see first nations not pay tax and then get paid $2000 per year.
I find your last paragraph quite ignorant and truly sad.

So would it not be a stretch to try and learn more about your first nations neighbours instead of griping about them getting money from the "government"?

Perhaps the money is band money but distributed by the government, or maybe it's part of their treaty settlement from a long time back.

Instead of being one of the crowd, educate yourself, it all goes to make you a better person and maybe even a better realtor.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:37 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I find your last paragraph quite ignorant and truly sad.

So would it not be a stretch to try and learn more about your first nations neighbours instead of griping about them getting money from the "government"?

Perhaps the money is band money but distributed by the government, or maybe it's part of their treaty settlement from a long time back.

Instead of being one of the crowd, educate yourself, it all goes to make you a better person and maybe even a better realtor.
Well said Steve !!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 5:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:45 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
I know in Cochrane I have one tenant who lived in 'affordable charity housing' and is first nations. She did not pay tax at all, and I actually had to evict her because she earned too much according to her bank statements which was the only proof of earning she could give me. But the good news is that I put her in one of my other rentals, which was far nicer.

Your tenant likely has 'Indian Status' (ie, she has a status card, she is a 'Status Indian', she's registered as an Indian with Indian Affairs - fed government). There are FN people who are registered - and they are entitled to the benefits relating to treaties, land claims, Indian Moneys, etc. There are FN people who are not registered because they do not qualify or because they've chosen not to be 'Status Indians.' FN people without 'status', Inuit and Metis people do not have the same exemption from paying taxes as a 'Status Indian' has.

I know a FN woman who has Indian Status and she receives various benefits and doesn't pay tax but I also know a FN woman does not have status and pays taxes as most people do. The reality is there are Aboriginal people who do not pay taxes and there are Aboriginal people who do and whether they do or don't pay often varies by context as well.

Also, there are a lot of Canadians, me being one of them, who are not bothered one iota by the perceived tax breaks and benefits that Status Indians receive. Not all payers of Canadian taxes share the view that you have empathy for.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 6:50 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hwp
Your tenant likely has 'Indian Status' (ie, she has a status card, she is a 'Status Indian', she's registered as an Indian with Indian Affairs - fed government). There are FN people who are registered - and they are entitled to the benefits relating to treaties, land claims, Indian Moneys, etc. There are FN people who are not registered because they do not qualify or because they've chosen not to be 'Status Indians.' FN people without 'status', Inuit and Metis people do not have the same exemption from paying taxes as a 'Status Indian' has.

I know a FN woman who has Indian Status and she receives various benefits and doesn't pay tax but I also know a FN woman does not have status and pays taxes as most people do. The reality is there are Aboriginal people who do not pay taxes and there are Aboriginal people who do and whether they do or don't pay often varies by context as well.

Also, there are a lot of Canadians, me being one of them, who are not bothered one iota by the perceived tax breaks and benefits that Status Indians receive. Not all payers of Canadian taxes share the view that you have empathy for.
That would be empthasis. If you must criticise other posters, please use proper Inglish.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:09 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
That would be empthasis. If you must criticise other posters, please use proper Inglish.
You nit-picked the wrong thing. It is empathy with, your word empthasis is totally wrong in this context.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by startwin
You nit-picked the wrong thing. It is empathy with, your word empthasis is totally wrong in this context.
Go read the original post, please. It will make the content of mine a bit easier for you to understand.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
It's mockery of Ms. Parnell's tangled syntax, innit?
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Go read the original post, please. It will make the content of mine a bit easier for you to understand.
Ah, for a moment I'd thought you'd lost it there souv.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's mockery of Ms. Parnell's tangled syntax, innit?
Thank God. I was starting to think BE had suffered an irony meltdown.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:35 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is 'have empathy with' and 'empathize with'. I have checked two dictionaries and there doesn't seem to be a word 'empathisis". I don't understand why the spelling/usage has been brought up. It doesn't seem correct to me that anyone should be criticizing other posters spelling, punctuation or grammar. I didn't realize that formalities had to be followed here. If it was de rigueur to do so, there wouldn't be enough time in a day for me.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
other posters spelling, punctuation or grammar.
Ahem.
Old Dec 18th 2008, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ah, for a moment I'd thought you'd lost it there souv.
So did I.

I spent a while trying to work out what had happened to my computer when I read Iaink's post and tried to open the error message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.