Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

La poutine mmmh

La poutine mmmh

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

FrancoisDublin will become famous soon enough
Default La poutine mmmh

In September I discovered "la poutine", and I have to say it was a revelation - so much that I joke that one day if I come back to Europe I'll open a poutine spot somewhere!

Who else loves this "awful" stuff?

C'est ecoeurant!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: La poutine mmmh

+1
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

redeagle is on a distinguished road

Must be a Canadian by birth thing to like it, my fiance eats that crap.
She ordered it at KFC, what the hell is wrong with the chicken?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:06 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redeagle
Must be a Canadian by birth thing to like it, my fiance eats that crap.
She ordered it at KFC, what the hell is wrong with the chicken?
Nothing...you can have the chicken AND poutine, but although I quite like the KFC poutine, its not really "poutine", I mean, chicken gravy? Its not quite kosher! At least they use cheese curd though, the ones with mozzarella instead, what's that about?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Nothing...you can have the chicken AND poutine, but although I quite like the KFC poutine, its not really "poutineg", I mean, chicken gravy? Its not quite kosher!
Among those I know who will put anything in their mouths the poutine at New York Fries is considered to be the best widely available.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by dbd33
Among those I know who will put anything in their mouths the poutine at New York Fries is considered to be the best widely available.
Sadly that would involve a trip to the mall for me, and I do have some standards still....besides, theres no drive through
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

But it's just chips+gravy with some half made cheese thrown in for good measure. It's ok I guess and I don't object to eating it, but I'd no more rave about how tasty it is than I would for something like beans on toast.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrancoisDublin
In September I discovered "la poutine", and I have to say it was a revelation - so much that I joke that one day if I come back to Europe I'll open a poutine spot somewhere!

Who else loves this "awful" stuff?

C'est ecoeurant!
Didn't you know that one of the tests in the Canadian citizenship process is the ability to eat a plate of this stuff. Seriously, I can't stand the stuff but to each his own...I like rice pudding so there is no accounting for taste.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed on the CBC website a while ago that poutine was listed as one of the "100 great canadian inventions" in the culture section somewhere. The competition for "great canadian inventions" standing is apparently not that strong.

I remember being offered gravy (meaning poutine) on my fries at some restaurant. As I said "no thank you they're fine without" a look of disgust must have appeared on my face as the waitress then said (after a slight sigh) "yeah i know but we have to ask here".
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
But it's just chips+gravy with some half made cheese thrown in for good measure. It's ok I guess and I don't object to eating it, but I'd no more rave about how tasty it is than I would for something like beans on toast.
Cottage cheese basically?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

redeagle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Alan2005
OH COME ON ! This stuff aint gravy, nothing wrong with rice pudding though.
I just been and got me some steak and kidney pies, mushy peas and pickeled eggs, oh happy days, its gonna be a long night for my beloved
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jimf
God no

Ideally they should be so fresh they squeek. Not likely to happen if you are buying in the city though.

Whatayaknow....according to the internet chicken is perfectly OK...live and learn! Plus you can make your own fresh cheese curd

Last edited by iaink; Mar 23rd 2010 at 7:05 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jimf
Tastes more like Lancashire to me.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Mmmm - awful stuff but I do love it
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Poutine is delicious! probably high on the calorie count but it tastes good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.