Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

KITSILANO VANCOUVER

KITSILANO VANCOUVER

Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:01 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: KITSILANO VANCOUVER

Originally Posted by Londonuck
You forget how bad the rain is and we lived in County Mayo for a year

The town looks a bit different with lots of condo buildings up but i cant get over exactly the same people are on telly. Wow the males presenters have stuck a bit of timber on.

Its still got that very laid back vibe. People are very nice to chat to and are very helpful.

Ooh, and still no bugger rings you back!!
the rain is part of the reason i left the NS. We get about 50 percent less here in white rock I have noticed a remarkable difference. Raining in NS...white cloud or sun here.

It's actually been a relatively dry winter, but seems to have come back with a vengance in the last month or so.

Anyways, welcome back....if you are looking for a boozer in lower lonsdale, check out the eagles on 3 rd and chesterfield. tons of brits go in there...usually the after work crowd...they even have meat draws! The manager, chris, used to own the Brit. He's a manc too.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:06 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I will defer to those who know better (Boy d used to live there and el-richo is not far away) but my guess is that $1,400 2 bedroom apartments in Kits are pretty few and far between.
not sure, id say one beds start at around 1100 - 1200 2 beds more like 1400 - 1600. There will be lots of variation in the quaity of the unit though and you can certainly pay a lot more than the prices i noted.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by michellechris28
Thank you everyone for your replies, yes been looking at prices on Craigslist they do drop considerably for other areas, just need to be close to downtown if we can. Any ideas what Richmond is like?
dont bother with richmond...nothing particularly wrong with it, but you wont get the real vancouver experience, and the amont saved in rent will be lost through commuting costs etc.

You have lots of options really, and vancouver is a faily compact city. check out fairview around city hall, cambie village, even east van around main (mount pleasant) or commercial drive....dont discount downtown too, although may not be the best with kids, although some certainly do it.

Its hard when not here, as i noted, places go fast and you have to be able to act instantly. If you are renting and the other-half works downtown, the north shore is also an option. check out lower lonsdale...very easy access to downtown and a fair bit cheaper i might add.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:28 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
the rain is part of the reason i left the NS. We get about 50 percent less here in white rock I have noticed a remarkable difference. Raining in NS...white cloud or sun here.

It's actually been a relatively dry winter, but seems to have come back with a vengance in the last month or so.

Anyways, welcome back....if you are looking for a boozer in lower lonsdale, check out the eagles on 3 rd and chesterfield. tons of brits go in there...usually the after work crowd...they even have meat draws! The manager, chris, used to own the Brit. He's a manc too.
Tks mate.

Lots more pubs now, thats another thing thats changed. Funny, i remember when a new pub opening here was a massive deal. Didnt know about the Eagles, defo give that a butchers.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:29 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for your replies, yes been looking at prices on Craigslist they do drop considerably for other areas, just need to be close to downtown if we can. Any ideas what Richmond is like?
Very flat! It is a mixture of industrial, agricultural and suburban. The new China Town is in north west Richmond and this is the area the Canada Line runs through. Further south are some quite pleasant, if flat, subdivisions and in the far south is the heritage village of Steveston. It s still commutable by bus and Skytrain but nowhere near as convenient for downtown as the other areas you are looking at. Boy d is right that it has a very different vibe to Vancouver.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:51 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Tks mate.

Lots more pubs now, thats another thing thats changed. Funny, i remember when a new pub opening here was a massive deal. Didnt know about the Eagles, defo give that a butchers.
Vancouver has grown up a lot in the last 5 years or so. Still some ways to go but improving all the time. I can think of at least 10 pubs in the past couple of years:

the oxford, charles, the new irish heather, the new blarney stone, alibi room, the diamond, the pourhouse, the clough, cinema

the city is looking to grant licences for more local type neighbourhood pubs in the not too distant future. Some really nice places to go for a drink now....

Be sure to check out gastown...it is no longer known for just the steam clock...remarkable transformation down there. I never used to go down there unitil about 2 years ago.

Check out save on for a cheap meal or meat and bread or greedy pig for killer sarnies.....
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:54 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the others. If you're moving to Vancouver, live in Vancouver initially to enjoy it. I'd avoid Richmond initially (permanently for me).

For $1400 you should be able to get a 2 bed place in Kits but it'd not be the type of place i'd choose to live in, although i don't know what you're looking for in regards to quality.

Fairview area might throw a couple up at that price (anywhere from just south of False creek from Cambie along to Granville, and down to 15th or 16th ave, i forget where it ends). Good bus routes and the Canada Line down Cambie direct to downtown in minutes. Again, that budget wouldn't get you anything remotely extravagant i would think.

In my opinion though, for that budget you'll not be enjoying a too nice place that close to downtown. Vancouver is great if you can afford it.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
I agree with the others. If you're moving to Vancouver, live in Vancouver initially to enjoy it. I'd avoid Richmond initially (permanently for me).

For $1400 you should be able to get a 2 bed place in Kits but it'd not be the type of place i'd choose to live in, although i don't know what you're looking for in regards to quality.

Fairview area might throw a couple up at that price (anywhere from just south of False creek from Cambie along to Granville, and down to 15th or 16th ave, i forget where it ends). Good bus routes and the Canada Line down Cambie direct to downtown in minutes. Again, that budget wouldn't get you anything remotely extravagant i would think.

In my opinion though, for that budget you'll not be enjoying a too nice place that close to downtown. Vancouver is great if you can afford it.
i used to have a really nice 2 bed for 1650 a month, although that was about 4 years ago.

All downtowns suffer from high rentals and yes Vancouver (insert name of city here***) is expensive. Actually though, rents are very reasonable given the factors it is contending with. By the time you factor in council tax and utility costs, I doubt central manchester is a great deal cheaper and London is certainly more, hell even Toronto is more:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle2094353/
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're putting in a Wings and Things or Suds or something in the old Kings Head, the video shop has gone, and there loads of other businesses going down, so the whole place is going to rat shit. The place is dying a slow death, I wouldn't go there.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:07 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
They're putting in a Wings and Things or Suds or something in the old Kings Head, the video shop has gone, and there loads of other businesses going down, so the whole place is going to rat shit. The place is dying a slow death, I wouldn't go there.
An "acquaintance" of mine (don't like him but he's friend of a friend) lives in Kits and has just called his new baby, Traavis. Two A's for ****s sake. That's the epitome of Kits these days in my opinion. They think it's cool to use a Launderette.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

An "acquaintance" of mine (don't like him but he's friend of a friend) lives in Kits and has just called his new baby, Traavis. Two A's for ****s sake. That's the epitome of Kits these days in my opinion. They think it's cool to use a Launderette.
My daughter lives in Kits, she has an improbable name. Her rent is markedly more than the numbers mentioned.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds about right
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:02 pm
Banned

those views are tired cliches. There are certainly those in the hood, (lululemon was invented there afterall) but also in other spendy bits of the city, but kits was very mixed. Lots of older rental properties with very long term renters, much more stable and established than other areas of the city, mid income earners (me), students and even social housing recipients in the area.

As for the kings head....good riddance and video shops>>>are there any anywhere anymore...tinternet saw to that.

Anyho, i liked it and those yummy mommies off to yoga was always a welcome sight
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
My daughter lives in Kits, she has an improbable name. Her rent is markedly more than the numbers mentioned.
must be nice
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
those views are tired cliches. There are certainly those in the hood, (lululemon was invented there afterall) but also in other spendy bits of the city, but kits was very mixed. Lots of older rental properties with very long term renters, much more stable and established than other areas of the city, mid income earners (me), students and even social housing recipients in the area.

As for the kings head....good riddance and video shops>>>are there any anywhere anymore...tinternet saw to that.

Anyho, i liked it and those yummy mommies off to yoga was always a welcome sight
The Kings Head was great. Had many a boozy sing-along night. There is a v. good a sushi place there, Kibune, very traditionally Japanese.