Kitsilano

Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

TheCanary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kitsilano

hi everyone

Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Kitsilano?

This is one of the areas I think would be a nice place to live. I know it is not near the skytrain, but from what I´ve researched it has a good bus system which can get me to the nearest skytrain stop, if anyone can confirm this that would be great.

Also there are secondary schools to choose from. My son is 12 years old. From my research I found that there is a Kitsilano secondary school and a private school called St Johns nearby.

I want a town which is young and lively but has a community atmosphere where children can go to the local park and be safe. If there is anyone who lives in this town it would really be great to hear first hand experience on the pro and cons.

Thank you very much and look forward to the feedback.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 11:12 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kitsilano

Originally Posted by TheCanary
hi everyone

Does anyone live or know someone who lives in Kitsilano?

This is one of the areas I think would be a nice place to live. I know it is not near the skytrain, but from what I´ve researched it has a good bus system which can get me to the nearest skytrain stop, if anyone can confirm this that would be great.

Also there are secondary schools to choose from. My son is 12 years old. From my research I found that there is a Kitsilano secondary school and a private school called St Johns nearby.

I want a town which is young and lively but has a community atmosphere where children can go to the local park and be safe. If there is anyone who lives in this town it would really be great to hear first hand experience on the pro and cons.

Thank you very much and look forward to the feedback.
Greetings I live in Kits. I am up again with my regular insomnia bout so may waffle on for a bit!

Sounds like the area is exactly what you are looking for. Great for families but hip enough for the younger crowd, though much more quiet than down town. Tons of great restaurants and coffee shops also more than a few bars. Also some great shopping along west 4 th ave. Granville Island is also a short walk. Very much like a small town on the edge of the city. Some accuse it of being yuppiefied - but I don't agree, although there are certainly those with money here (not me).

Real mix of older established residents, families, and younger folk. Your son would love it. Very safe area with relatively little crime (believe me I know - I'm a copper) and no agro from anyone. I've never had a single problem here with anyone (although I cant say I have anywhere in the city and I've been here 17 years). You do get the odd dumpster diver but they are harmless and you find them everywhere in the city looking for empty bottles and cans to take back to the store for a 10 cent refund.

Also the area has arguably the best beaches all within walking distance (Kits beach, Lorcano. Jerhico and Spanish Banks). Further west the area becomes point grey. The west end of broadway has a great mix of bars, restaurants and stores. The south granville neighbourhood is also fairly close to kits which is known for its higher end stores and numerous art galleries along gallery row. Great theater there - the Stanley.

What I like about the area is that it is more livable than downtown in that it's less congested, more laid back and issues around panhandling, homelessness and drug use tend to stay on the other side of the Burrard Street Bridge for the most part.

There is very easy access to downtown and commuting is not an issue at all. Lots of transit along the Broadway corridor. There is also the new Canada line station at Cambie (Olympic Station I think) and another at Broadway and Cambie which hook up with transit from Kits.

Now for the bad news. Given the popularity of the area, it is pricey. In terms of buying it's about the most expensive neighbourhood in Canada. Reckon on at least 1.2 million for a modest detached house (if you can find one) and an average of around 550 - 600 per square foot for a nice apartment or town house, more if they have a view or high end finishings. In short around 600,000 for a decent two bed apartment or 750,000 - 800,000 for a townhouse.

Renting is not bad and although more than other areas of the city not astronomically so. A decent two bed apartment is around 1500 - 1600 ( although you can certainly pay a lot more - includes principal bills - no council taxes). Also plenty of street parking so no need to rent a parking spot.

Following video although a bit long shows the best of the area - it truly is a great place to live - just wish it wasn't so darn spendy (thanks Oink!). I would love to stay here but real estate prices will more than likely force me out in the end.

Another alternative is Fairview which is very close to Kits but a lot cheaper - Cambie Village is also another great area that is fairly close to Kits but cheaper.

Good luck - feel free to pm me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDXXzufXLU

Last edited by dboy; Oct 6th 2009 at 11:53 am.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

hello dboy

Thanks for your reply, that was a very detailed explanation you gave.

Well, it seems I know how to pick the most expensive things then!!!!!!

Trust me to choose one of THE MOST expensive areas in canada lol. I think I better have a plan B and C. I still like the idea of sending my son to one of the schools in the that area, and Kitsilano school is still in the catchment area of Fairview so maybe that will be a possibility.

I thank you again for making me aware of how expensive this area is and I hope I can draw on your experience with more questions later.

Last edited by TheCanary; Oct 6th 2009 at 5:12 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
Greetings I live in Kits. I am up again with my regular insomnia bout so may waffle on for a bit!

Following video although a bit long shows the best of the area - it truly is a great place to live - just wish it wasn't so darn spendy (thanks Oink!). I would love to stay here but real estate prices will more than likely force me out in the end.
Glad I'm not the only one that gets up at 3:30am or 4:00am.
It gives you a chance of getting tasky without interruptions though.

Agree with your assessment of Kits. Only really downsides are the architecture is naff and it can get a bit busy in the summer.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh i miss breakfasts at Joe's Grill on W4th. Mind you that probably why im 2 and a half stone lighter these days!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Ooh i miss breakfasts at Joe's Grill on W4th. Mind you that probably why im 2 and a half stone lighter these days!
We often go there. I love the chirizo sausage! I always call it 'Big Joes! Not sure what Joe is doing as I never see him.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hey dboy, you like chorizo sausage!!! well when I get there I'll bring you some. I live in Spain at the moment and they are delicious. I didnt like them at first but then I went to this restaurant and they did a sizzling version straight from a old style oven, I was hooked after that. Then I tasted them in the traditional Potaje dish, which is lentils soup with veg and meat.

It took me a while to like the spanish dishes I know I will miss them when I live in Canada. Its quite funny actually, when I first moved here, I was craving for all the british food and now I guess I will be craving the spanish food. loll.

Oh actually, you arent allowed to bring meat over are you? Oh well there goes that idea!

Last edited by TheCanary; Oct 7th 2009 at 2:53 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

one thing which you might bare it in mind.....

we've just spent two weeks house hunting and were blown away by how competitive it was.

basically, it is like looking for work. so go dressed up. landlords / letting agents will not be happy when you inform them of a lack of work / lack of credit history / lack of local references......

and so before you fill in their application forms (which if they accept, you will be obliged to honour!!!) make sure they have seen any number of bank statements to prove you can pay the rent; work references to prove you are employable; offer even the most tenuous local referee if you have one to prove you are honourable!

otherwise, they will simply give your dream home up to the next person to come along.....and believe me, there will be a line forming behind you!

the best of luck!

incidentally, despite Kitsilano being our primary objective, we settled for a basement garden suite in Kerrisdale.... which is no bad thing.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wow really, thanks for that, I would never have thought it was so competitive. I guess logically it makes sense because they dont want people to waste their time.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 12:19 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
we settled for a basement garden suite in Kerrisdale.... which is no bad thing.

Did they include a free zimmer frame?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Did they include a free zimmer frame?
no zimmers.... but the ramp access is good for my dicky hips
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by TheCanary
Hey dboy, you like chorizo sausage!!! well when I get there I'll bring you some. I live in Spain at the moment and they are delicious. I didnt like them at first but then I went to this restaurant and they did a sizzling version straight from a old style oven, I was hooked after that. Then I tasted them in the traditional Potaje dish, which is lentils soup with veg and meat.

It took me a while to like the spanish dishes I know I will miss them when I live in Canada. Its quite funny actually, when I first moved here, I was craving for all the british food and now I guess I will be craving the spanish food. loll.

Oh actually, you arent allowed to bring meat over are you? Oh well there goes that idea!
You shall soon be enjoying to love Sushi!
Old Oct 8th 2009, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
one thing which you might bare it in mind.....

we've just spent two weeks house hunting and were blown away by how competitive it was.

basically, it is like looking for work. so go dressed up. landlords / letting agents will not be happy when you inform them of a lack of work / lack of credit history / lack of local references......

and so before you fill in their application forms (which if they accept, you will be obliged to honour!!!) make sure they have seen any number of bank statements to prove you can pay the rent; work references to prove you are employable; offer even the most tenuous local referee if you have one to prove you are honourable!

otherwise, they will simply give your dream home up to the next person to come along.....and believe me, there will be a line forming behind you!

the best of luck!

incidentally, despite Kitsilano being our primary objective, we settled for a basement garden suite in Kerrisdale.... which is no bad thing.
I lived in Kerrisdale for a while, well Mackenzie Heights anyway. Nice enough areas but a bit stuffy and boring, although close enough to Kits etc.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kerrisdale always struck me as 'gods waiting room'..... especially as i am more used to the wilds of Hackney and the like.....

but the place we found is furnished, with all bills included, with 2 bed rooms and door step parking more or less guaranteed.

there is the #49 bus heading east - west and the #16 north - south.... we've got one ice rink a 10 minutes walk away and another 8 within an hour's drive..... and a local fruit and veg store which is half the price of IGA or Safeway.

for sure it is somewhat uptight, blue rinsed and gentrified..... but considering the above, the pro's exceed the con's.

and of course.... it's ALL canada!!!

i remain chuffed even with no complimentary walking aids or bed baths.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

What about pets? Do people in these areas mentioned have cats and dogs. I mean it must be hard to keep pets all locked up in all these condos and apartments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.