Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kitchner - Waterloo

Kitchner - Waterloo

Old May 29th 2018, 11:59 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kitchner - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Winterdiva
Thanks all. Kitchner/Waterloo/Guelph area is now on the top of our list. Oakville is now off the list. Housing is too expensive and I'm not very happy with the commute.
Please can I ask for recommendations of specific areas to look at .
Guelph, northeast of the river, between Eramosa, Metcalfe and Elizabeth.

- so I can have a rough idea of what my money can get me in terms of housing.
Here are some areas I gathered from this forum:

1. Beechwood / Beechwood forest
2. St Jacobs
3. Guelph
4. Elora/Fergus

Coming from a big city like London, we don't want to live somewhere rural at this point. .
I don't know where Beechwood is or what's it's like. I've lived in Guelph, worked in Kitchener and Guelph, visited the others often,

The defining characteristics of the others are (imo):

St Jacobs, nice houses, relatively little in the way of new development, one house has a racing MGA in the driveway so there are some Brits. Religious place, centre for Mennonite religion.

Guelph, bit like Oxford. University town but with industry so not dependent on the school. Bit of a lefty organic vibe, lots of electric car charging points.

Elora, up itself. Disproportionately expensive. Nice gorge though.

Fergus, historically Scottish, has a highland games, nice core but increasingly hard to find as the sea of griege plastic houses seeps across the land. Lots of overflow residents from Guelph.

Be aware that highway 6 is nightmarishly slow and prone to white outs.

We prefer a small quiet town/suburb..
Guelph, perhaps K-W, I suspect the others are too small.

One more question - what to expect from having Amish/Mennonite communities around? (As long as they are peace loving and tolerant, we have no probs).
I should think they would make as much impact on your daily life in Guelph or K-W as the Rastafarians do in London. Handy to have around if you need building work done and can turn a blind eye to the child labour/lack of H&S aspects of their style.

What extent of "bohemianism" to expect in Kitchener? Is it like Camden town in London(UK)?
Bohemianism in Kitchener is something I struggle to picture. There are some homeless people, drugs are available, the population is from all over the world. Edgy like Finchley rather than Camden, I'd say.

We'd love to have a nice 4bed house on a big lot, in a peaceful neighbourhood, with good schools and within short commute to work.
Well, yes, and a 1968 E-Type OTS in the garage, children en route to being doctors and lawyers and such and to be forever young. Me too.

Last edited by dbd33; May 29th 2018 at 12:24 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, please have a butcher's at the places listed on streetview and in Wikipedia, come back with your impressions, "too many bungalows", "hate all those swings in the park, they'll attract children", "I want more traffic", whatever, then we can refine our comments a bit.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, yes, and a 1968 E-Type OTS in the garage, children en route to being doctors and lawyers and such and to be forever young. Me too.
Join me on the adventure then !!
Old May 29th 2018, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Winterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond reputeWinterdiva has a reputation beyond repute

OP, please have a butcher's at the places listed on streetview and in Wikipedia, come back with your impressions, "too many bungalows", "hate all those swings in the park, they'll attract children", "I want more traffic", whatever, then we can refine our comments a bit.
Streetview trip to the places is being planned for tonite (Exciting stuff to do once the kids sleep). We love bungalows, parks, swings, less traffic/more traffic is fine too.

I'm worried paranoid about drugs, street violence, hate crimes (I'm from Indian descent, I look really Indian) and racism in schools.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Join me on the adventure then !!
Hmmm, adventures with ladies from the internet have yielded mixed results for me.
Old May 29th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Kitchner/Waterloo/Guelph area is now on the top of our list. Oakville is now off the list. Housing is too expensive and I'm not very happy with the commute.
Please can I ask for recommendations of specific areas to look at - so I can have a rough idea of what my money can get me in terms of housing.
Here are some areas I gathered from this forum:

1. Beechwood / Beechwood forest
2. St Jacobs
3. Guelph
4. Elora/Fergus

Coming from a big city like London, we don't want to live somewhere rural at this point. We prefer a small quiet town/suburb. One more question - what to expect from having Amish/Mennonite communities around? (As long as they are peace loving and tolerant, we have no probs). What extent of "bohemianism" to expect in Kitchener? Is it like Camden town in London(UK)?

We'd love to have a nice 4bed house on a big lot, in a peaceful neighbourhood, with good schools and within short commute to work. The last part I know is the most difficult to quantify, but anything upto 30 mins drive is fine. Shorter the better!

Thanks again for sharing your insights. I'm very grateful.
Fergus is our nearest town, it's about 20km from us. It has a couple of supermarkets, DIY places, rstaurants, pubs a small hospital and, most criitically, a decent Liquor store. I can pretty much get everything I need there, but I think I agree with dbd33 that you will likely find it a bit too small and Guelph may be a better option. I would add it to your visit list though if you come for a look. New housing seems to be popping up everywhere, which if you are looking for a more modern home could work for you. The ones I have seen in Fergus In my opinion are better done than some of the later Oakville developments (others may disagree).
We have no issues with the Mennonites, they just go about their business like everyone else. We have quite a few dealings with them when we need things for the farm eg we just bought 60 fruit trees for our new orchard from a Mennonite owned nursery. Near us they drive cars, use cellphones, advertise on the Internet and shop in Walmart so it's not exactly like the
​​​​​​​Amish in Witness.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You might enjoy this on your recce trip - lots of Mennonite vendors, look for the horses and buggies parked outside!

https://stjacobs.com/Farmers-Market-...nformation.htm
There's some info on Mennonite culture in a link of the St. Jacobs website: https://stjacobs.com/Culture-Heritag...nite-Story.htm

Last edited by Siouxie; May 29th 2018 at 1:08 pm.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, adventures with ladies from the internet have yielded mixed results for me.
you got a pie and a pint at the Wooly, I would consider that a success.
Old May 29th 2018, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

ROFL 🤣
Old May 29th 2018, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Kitchner - Waterloo

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You might enjoy this on your recce trip - lots of Mennonite vendors, look for the horses and buggies parked outside!

https://stjacobs.com/Farmers-Market-...nformation.htm
I went there a few times when I was in university. I recall one time having the hangover from hell and my girlfriend at the time coming by my apartment with her car and her wanting to go to the farmers market etc. The smell of all of the frying bacon in the place caused me to head outside for some fresh air before the waves of nausea subsided. Otherwise it was great
Old May 29th 2018, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Kitchner - Waterloo

Streetview trip to the places is being planned for tonite (Exciting stuff to do once the kids sleep). We love bungalows, parks, swings, less traffic/more traffic is fine too.

I'm worried paranoid about drugs, street violence, hate crimes (I'm from Indian descent, I look really Indian) and racism in schools.
Living in Waterloo or Guelph and being from Indian descent and looking Indian (is your ancestry from T & T or Guyana or actually India) won't cause any issues in either of those places. Most of Kitchener is the same although of the 3 Kitchener strikes me as the bit less progressive/international. Once you head out of town into the rural hinterlands you're heading to the land of 'Chinese and Canadian' food where chicken balls in red sauce is found

Waterloo itself due to the large university is quite international (especially Chinese and to a lesser extent Indian)
Old May 29th 2018, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Living in Waterloo or Guelph and being from Indian descent and looking Indian (is your ancestry from T & T or Guyana or actually India) won't cause any issues in either of those places. Most of Kitchener is the same although of the 3 Kitchener strikes me as the bit less progressive/international. Once you head out of town into the rural hinterlands you're heading to the land of 'Chinese and Canadian' food where chicken balls in red sauce is found

Waterloo itself due to the large university is quite international (especially Chinese and to a lesser extent Indian)
My ancestry is from India. My sisters look mixed race - but my brother and I look Indian.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the days of your blog...
Old May 30th 2018, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by HGerchikov

you got a pie and a pint at the Wooly, I would consider that a success.
Well yes, I put meeting HGerchikov up there with meeting RussMeyerGirl.
Old May 30th 2018, 1:06 am
Assimilated Pauper

IMO,

drugs are a legitimate concern. Guelph station has an underpass that used to be open all day and used by many pedestrians. It's not now as too many people were using it as a place out of the weather to do drugs. There are "harm reduction" facilities all over town. One of my children was a drugs prosecutor for a while (elsewhere in Canada) and said that the department only pursued fentanyl cases; there are enough of those that meth, crack, heroin cases don't get considered. What I'd ask is where in the world are drugs not a legitimate concern?

Street violence is not a reasonable concern in Ontario. You can get shot in Toronto, as you can get stabbed in London, but that's easily avoidable by adults and avoidable by savvy youths. Only some clubs attract violence outside, only a subset of people get involved with serious violence.

I'm not Indian so I can't directly address being Indian in Guelph, or anywhere else. But someone asked on here a few years ago if it would be problematic for her family in Guelph due to her being white English and her partner being Indian, they were concerned about their children being bullied. They moved, I saw her a couple of years later, they'd just moved from a rented house to one they bought. She still has an acupuncture clinic near the Woolly. If you were visiting you could hunt her down for some first hand vaguely comparable experience.

Today I was at a project kick off meeting for a computer system. I suppose 20% of the people in the room looked Indian. I know some of them and they're from India, Pakistan (straggly beard and not eating a free lunch were a bit of a give away), Bangladesh and Kent (parents from the Punjab). Next to me was a woman dressed in salwar kaweez and a lot of gold jewellery, she could not have looked more stereotypically "affluent Indian" if she'd driven her Acura into the room. I didn't hear her speak, so I wouldn't like to guess where she was from, one tends to find out that people were born and raised here only when they're asked to curl or play ice hockey and they can do it. The thing is, almost everyone here accepts that the neighbour, the person at the next desk, the other kid in school, is from somewhere else; most places have a diverse population and everyone just gets on with it. The only exceptions I know are families with elderly parents who aren't going to learn English, they want to stay in Brampton or Markham or wherever it is that has a significant population of speakers of their language.

All of the above assuming you mean you look as if you could be from India, If you look like an American Indian that's a whole other game, in that case I'd say to look elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.