Reload this Page >

The kindness of everyday Canadians

The kindness of everyday Canadians

Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Elhombre will become famous soon enoughElhombre will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The kindness of everyday Canadians

Originally Posted by Rich_007

Super cool. Maybe it's rose tinted shades, but this does seem to be really typical of peoples helpfulness, as I keep reading on here from time to time.

Rich.
Got a couple.
My wife hadn't figured out the school bus shedule when school started last fall. I was back in blighty and our car had not yet been delivered. On day three she had a sneaking suspicion that the kids had missed the bus again and was feeling quite cross with herself. She bumped into some neighbours who we had not as yet met beforehand and asked whether they had seen the bus go past. They answered yes as they had just been to see their daughter off. To cut a long story off Maria sent her hubby to get the car and drop my missus and kids off at the school and then bring Mrs H back home. We still keep pinching ourself.

Wife mentions her interest in getting a piano and gets a call from one of the neighbours who has seen one advertised in a garage sale. Wife sees piano and buys it at a price that knocked me over. Wife tells neighbour who marshalls all the husbands together. They help me get the piono out of the basement (now who would keep a piano in a basement without a walkout? ) get in on one of the neighbours' truck, drive to ours and offload the piano and take it into our house. No talk of fuel costs, time, etc.

We've been adopted and I am not sure we would want to move in a hurry

H
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Just a wee story.

We have met many many helpful and considerate people since we moved here and they haven't all been Canadians.

We have found that the Brits go out of their way to help each other over here. Certainly in the first few years.

Back to kind Canadians, we were renting when we moved here initially down in Windsor, Ontario. Our landlord was a young man and his fiance. We had only been renting a month, when on Christmas eve, on returning from the mall, on our doorstep were two beautifully wrapped Christmas gifts for our kids, who were 6 and 3 at the time. That same Christmas, a family of Brits, twiced removed, who we met briefly and who knew it was our first Christmas with no extended family and I hate to say it no buddies yet in Canada, insisted nicely that we come over for dinner and spend Christmas with them.

I could go on and on.....
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Canada often over the last 9 years as my husband is a Canuck and yes, I agree there are many lovely and helpful people up north. However, even here in the greater New York area, I have found the same over the years. People who go out of their way to help you in an emergency or make you feel welcome.

Remember to give back, not to the people who helped you, but to someone else. Kindness is catchy. Down here we have a commercial for Liberty Mutual Insurance and that is the premise of their commercial, doing little things like picking up a kid's toy and then showing that mother doing something for another stranger and on and on.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Remember to give back, not to the people who helped you, but to someone else. Kindness is catchy.

For sure!!

Old Jun 17th 2006, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

nobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant futurenobbyvialli has a brilliant future

got to agree with alot of whats said here

our week in canada was awesome, everyone was soooo helpful and offering help and suggestions and spoke to us without any reproach.

fabulous peeps and cant wait to live there
Old Jun 17th 2006, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Hey, now England isn't such a bad place either, it's down to the individual.

My husband took our car to Kwik Fit on Thusday with a slow puncture in one tyre. They put our spare on and were going to repair the other one. He called at the end of the day and was told they'd done the repair, but still needed to balance it because they'd been swamped all day. Hubby said "no problem", he'd come back the following lunch time.

Went back the following lunch time and the place was packed - every lift full, every parking bay full, people waiting...hubby spoke to the guy and offered to pop by after work when it would be quieter. Guy was really grateful. We went back after work, had the tyre changed over in seconds, hubby went to pay and was told that he did the guy a huge favour by being so easygoing about it, and there was no charge for anything.

See...nice people everywhere. You give a little to get a little.
Old Jun 17th 2006, 7:19 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Someone (a Canuck) in my office left a bag of Walkers Crisps on my desk yesterday. Someone actually realised what a *&%^ week I had endured and went out specially to buy those. It's not all bad.