Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kinda relates to another thread....

Wikiposts

Kinda relates to another thread....

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Kinda relates to another thread....

.... The drink driving ban one. And before anyone starts having a go at me, I personally have never had a drink and driven, and I never would. I don't agree with it at all!

I am just interested to know where you would stand if you had been banned from driving and wanted to just visit Canada? Would they still let you in?

Need to know as a friend of mine is in this predicament.

Thank you
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kinda relates to another thread....

Originally Posted by act1980
I am just interested to know where you would stand if you had been banned from driving and wanted to just visit Canada? Would they still let you in?
Depends on how long ago it happened. If it was less than 5 years ago then s/he is inadmissable to Canada, even for just a holiday. If that's the case then they would need to wait until 5 years have passed from the end of their sentence (which in their case would be 5 years from when the ban ended) and then they could apply for criminal rehab.

But if it was more than 5 years ago then s/he can apply for criminal rehab - then if that's granted, they would be able to holiday in Canada.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends on how long ago it happened. If it was less than 5 years ago then s/he is inadmissable to Canada, even for just a holiday. If that's the case then they would need to wait until 5 years have passed from the end of their sentence (which in their case would be 5 years from when the ban ended) and then they could apply for criminal rehab.

But if it was more than 5 years ago then s/he can apply for criminal rehab - then if that's granted, they would be able to holiday in Canada.

Hope that helps.
Wow!! Thanks for your reply I guess they don't want people in their country with a criminal record.

Can I ask though, how would they know if she didn't mention it? Would they be able to access that information on their systems?

Also, what is this criminal rehab?

Many thanks!!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!! Thanks for your reply I guess they don't want people in their country with a criminal record.

Can I ask though, how would they know if she didn't mention it? Would they be able to access that information on their systems?

Also, what is this criminal rehab?

Many thanks!!
I think it depends on the criminal record - if it was a long time ago and a minor crime then criminal rehab is not required. But if it was recent then it is - and DUI's are considered quite serious for immigration purposes I believe.

I don't know how they check it, obviously for an immigrant they would require a police check which would show it, but for a tourist that's not required. So they may not know about it - but if your friend gets caught then s/he would be breaking the law again, so it is worth it?

As for what it is, just look at the CIC website as there is a big section there on it and lots of info your friend can look at, including how to go about applying for it. It's a simple form I believe, but it cannot be applied for unless 5 years have passed.

So be very careful between now and being granted PR, don't get a criminal record whatever you do!!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think it depends on the criminal record - if it was a long time ago and a minor crime then criminal rehab is not required. But if it was recent then it is - and DUI's are considered quite serious for immigration purposes I believe.

I don't know how they check it, obviously for an immigrant they would require a police check which would show it, but for a tourist that's not required. So they may not know about it - but if your friend gets caught then s/he would be breaking the law again, so it is worth it?

As for what it is, just look at the CIC website as there is a big section there on it and lots of info your friend can look at, including how to go about applying for it. It's a simple form I believe, but it cannot be applied for unless 5 years have passed.

So be very careful between now and being granted PR, don't get a criminal record whatever you do!!
Thanks for all that info! I will take a look at the CIC website. And I do plan to be on my best behaviour until I get PR. Don't want anything to screw up our chances of a better life!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

they have enough of their own!

When I was at the border activating my visa, there were a group of Americans there too, one of them had a DUI previously, he hadn't volunteered the info, but the border official tapped it up on his computer, The guy was given 2 choices, either go back home or buy some kind of waiver, for $250, which would allow him to come and go from canada as much as he liked!!

so it turns out you are only truly undesirable if you can't cough up some cash!