British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Kimberley? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/kimberley-879002/)

laddo73 Jun 16th 2016 4:05 pm

Kimberley?

Hi all,

We've been living near to Ottawa since 2014 and plan to move to BC in August. We feel that our outdoor interests would be better satisfied out that way.
I took a 2 week road trip to BC in May and so far the place that I visited that ticked the most boxes was Kimberley. Liked Nelson too but maybe its a little too intense for us now that we have 2 kids.

I was wondering if there is anyone here that lives in Kimberley or the area that could let me know your experiences of moving there.

Thanks.

Stinkypup Jun 16th 2016 4:46 pm

Re: Kimberley?

Originally Posted by laddo73 (Post 11975452)
Hi all,

We've been living near to Ottawa since 2014 and plan to move to BC in August. We feel that our outdoor interests would be better satisfied out that way.
I took a 2 week road trip to BC in May and so far the place that I visited that ticked the most boxes was Kimberley. Liked Nelson too but maybe its a little too intense for us now that we have 2 kids.

I was wondering if there is anyone here that lives in Kimberley or the area that could let me know your experiences of moving there.

Thanks.

I love the Kootenays- Nelson was our second choice after Vernon. Kimberley erm... Nice looking golf course, very Bavarian, probably good for skiing. Just my observations as a visitor passing through. I suppose it depends on what people want from life. Hopefully more detailed information will follow.

Photoplex Jun 16th 2016 4:48 pm

We're there a lot in the winter for skiing, but not sure I could live in Kimberley year round...

laddo73 Jun 16th 2016 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11975489)
I love the Kootenays- Nelson was our second choice after Vernon. Kimberley erm... Nice looking golf course, very Bavarian, probably good for skiing. Just my observations as a visitor passing through. I suppose it depends on what people want from life. Hopefully more detailed information will follow.

What made you choose Vernon?

laddo73 Jun 16th 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11975494)
We're there a lot in the winter for skiing, but not sure I could live in Kimberley year round...

You live in Calgary?

Photoplex Jun 16th 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by laddo73 (Post 11975598)
You live in Calgary?

Yep! A family friend owns a ski in/out place in Kimberley right on the mountain, so we're there quite often over the winter.

Stinkypup Jun 16th 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by laddo73 (Post 11975597)
What made you choose Vernon?

Great outdoors stuff, lakes, provincial parks for cycling, good skiing, Kelowna airport nearby so quick in and out, Kelowna not bad for bigger shopping, great climate. We felt that Nelson was lovely but isolated more in Winter, Castlegar is a crappy airport which forever closes hence the moniker Cancelgar
It gets hot in the Summer but we cool off in Kalamalka lake from a boat and life is sweet:thumbup:

Photoplex Jun 16th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11975730)
Castlegar is a crappy airport which forever closes hence the moniker Cancelgar

I had a business trip in that area that I flew into Castlegar for a few winters back. I was supposed to be there 1 night - a tuesday I believe. Weather came in, flights cancelled.

By Friday I decided to drive my way out in a rental, 1-way charge be damned. Tried that, got an hour out, road was shut down, went back to the hotel.

Didn't manage to fly out of there until the Sunday.

Vowed to never go back in winter again.

snoopdawg Jun 17th 2016 2:02 am

It was summer when we were there. Dead!! Totally dead!
Would never live there, sorry.

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 2:13 am

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11975912)
It was summer when we were there. Dead!! Totally dead!
Would never live there, sorry.

Oh come on Snoop, there were lederhosen and a giant cuckoo clock.... Your comments are very harsh.:sneaky:

Photoplex Jun 17th 2016 2:19 am

No, Snoops right - I've been there in the summer a number of times, and it's definitely dead. That's why I couldn't live there year round...

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11975924)
No, Snoops right - I've been there in the summer a number of times, and it's definitely dead. That's why I couldn't live there year round...

Yeah, fair enough... I found it weird- probably could have a good week skiing. Like Kazlo, nice enough to visit but not to live in.

snoopdawg Jun 17th 2016 2:53 am

Definitely weird! Almost creepy!
But I remember 1 nice restaurant ( only establishment of any kind open) with dog bowls outside with biscuits/water- Yum!!!

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 3:00 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11975942)
Definitely weird! Almost creepy!
But I remember 1 nice restaurant ( only establishment of any kind open) with dog bowls outside with biscuits/water- Yum!!!

Yeah , those biccies were tasty and I needed a drink although beer would have been preferable

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 3:01 am

1 Attachment(s)
That disturbing cuckoo clock :thumbdown: