Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Killer Mozzies

Killer Mozzies

Old Sep 25th 2012, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default Killer Mozzies

Hi all

In looking at places to rent in Calgary, I came across a few places with lakes nearby (Hamptons was one). I was very quickly warned about the pest mozzies that you encounter when you move anywhere near a lake.

Are they that bad? Seriously, this person told me they were that bad that you should avoid living near lakes and they kept going on and on about it.

I'm now picturing swarms of mozzies approaching the house at dusk and everyone running inside and closing the doors and windows like some kind of apocalypse.

Surely .... maybe .... not that bad?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killer Mozzies

I guess it all depends on what you're used to but this person you mentioned sounds like a bit of a drama queen to me. Yes, mozzies are attracted to bodies of water but as for an apocalypse? nah. There may be times when you don't want to sit outside but its not the end of the world. I grew up in Northwestern Ontario dubbed the mosquito capital of Canada and while irritating at times it was no big deal. I've also lived in Calgary & have to say the flies are nowhere near as bad there.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Mozzies can get pretty bad, but most peole have mozzy screens on their doors and windows and also we have mozzy spray which can be quite effectve. So no need to do anything about your doors and windows.

When we first came to Canada what you describe was my family but after being laughed at a few times and bitten a few times you realise that getting bitten is not the end of the world. If you really don't mind being laughed at you can also buy a Mozzy suit.

There seems to be people who are mozzy magnets and others who just never get bitten at all. You stand near them and they and there are also people like my daughter who are allergic to their bites. To most they are a minor nuisance.

The biggest worry about living near a body of water is the danger of flooding rather than mosquitoes.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Hi all

In looking at places to rent in Calgary, I came across a few places with lakes nearby (Hamptons was one). I was very quickly warned about the pest mozzies that you encounter when you move anywhere near a lake.

Are they that bad? Seriously, this person told me they were that bad that you should avoid living near lakes and they kept going on and on about it.

I'm now picturing swarms of mozzies approaching the house at dusk and everyone running inside and closing the doors and windows like some kind of apocalypse.

Surely .... maybe .... not that bad?
I'm allergic to mozzie bites...but it was black flies that gave me the most trouble this summer.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 1:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Cant speak for alberta, but in Ontario they can be a nuisance as dusk falls. Especially for newbies who tend to come out in big bumps.

One advantage of waterfront though is there is often a breeze which will hamper them, and if they are a problem you can always invest in a skeetervac, although in a heavily wooded area its likely to only make a small dent in the population anyway...

I wouldnt let them put me off a nice lakefront property, the pros outweigh the cons.

Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:10 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Mozzies breed in standing water, so be aware if you have drainage ditches, ponds without a fountain or other water disturbance and moist wooded areas, keep gutters clear and cover water barrels and at the worst times of year, smother yourselves in repellant.

We've had a lake front place and the mozzies were no worse than anywhere else.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

They are bad everywhere main thing is keeping them away there is some other posts to look at with some good ideas on, thing is you will get them anywhere long grass is another factor
Old Sep 25th 2012, 3:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
They are bad everywhere main thing is keeping them away there is some other posts to look at with some good ideas on, thing is you will get them anywhere long grass is another factor
No they're not. You barely see any the whole summer living by the seaside.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
No they're not. You barely see any the whole summer living by the seaside.
Problem solved. Seaside properties are 6 a penny in Calgary.

I wouldn't let mosquitoes put you off a lakeside property. The worst areas I've seen have been playing fields nowhere near to standing water. The city does also use chemicals to kill mosquito larvae in known breeding grounds such as large bodies of water.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Thanks everyone

I'll make sure I tell my drama queen friend to harden the *BLEEP* up.

I can't see them being much worse than Oz, but then again I do remember they are the size of seagulls in Canada and extremely slow (has my mind possibly exaggerated the size?). In saying that, I am one of those sweet blooded mozzie magnets, so it may not matter where I am, they will find me!

Cheers
Old Sep 26th 2012, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
Thanks everyone

I'll make sure I tell my drama queen friend to harden the *BLEEP* up.

I can't see them being much worse than Oz, but then again I do remember they are the size of seagulls in Canada and extremely slow (has my mind possibly exaggerated the size?). In saying that, I am one of those sweet blooded mozzie magnets, so it may not matter where I am, they will find me!

Cheers
Reminds me of a night a couple of years back when I was still in Canada, I was talking to hubby via Skype & had the laptop out on the patio. The sun was just going down and the bugs were starting to get active when a mozzie flew right in front of the webcam. From hubby's vantage point it looked absolutely monstrous, he got the fright of his life & screamed "what the hell was THAT????". I scarcely noticed.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curleytops
Reminds me of a night a couple of years back when I was still in Canada, I was talking to hubby via Skype & had the laptop out on the patio. The sun was just going down and the bugs were starting to get active when a mozzie flew right in front of the webcam. From hubby's vantage point it looked absolutely monstrous, he got the fright of his life & screamed "what the hell was THAT????". I scarcely noticed.

Mozasaurus
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:47 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I was so concerned about them and I did notice them a lot last year, this year they are barely on my radar. I dont have any major reaction to their bites anyway but they used to be a big issue when we first got here.

Relatives are here from England currently and are making a huge song and dance about a couple of little bites and searching out afterbite and other cream. I smile to myself and imagine how they will be if a deerfly gets them....
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I was so concerned about them and I did notice them a lot last year, this year they are barely on my radar. I dont have any major reaction to their bites anyway but they used to be a big issue when we first got here.

Relatives are here from England currently and are making a huge song and dance about a couple of little bites and searching out afterbite and other cream. I smile to myself and imagine how they will be if a deerfly gets them....
Deerfly/horseflies are a bitch. You can actually feel the buggers biting you and when you look they are still on your skin. Their bites irritate for months.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 3:15 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Deerfly/horseflies are a bitch. You can actually feel the buggers biting you and when you look they are still on your skin. Their bites irritate for months.
yep I know, hideous things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.