Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids and Study Permits

Kids and Study Permits

Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

stephenbottcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids and Study Permits

How would I know what's enough and what isn't, I'm just an immgrant like everybody else ... If CIC tells me to jump, I jump ... until I am a PR so no need to argue.

Since we had a study permit, the question was never asked whether we needed one! They asked only for their (the boys) residential status and obviously a visitor's record might do to get them in school?

[Biink]Isn't one of you Canadian, i.e. your boy is too? I think the others are on work permits...but I might be wrong.[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:11 am
Just Joined

paddyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Isn't one of you Canadian, i.e. your boy is too? I think the others are on work permits...but I might be wrong.

yes your right, we are on my husbands work permit he claimed all four of us when he applied, himself, me and our two girls, so i'm sure that means we are on visitor visa's.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

When we applied for our first work permits CHC in London said we had to have study permits for the girls. When they started school we had to show the permits and copies were put in their school files.

When we renewed them last year in Canada we paid for study permits but they sent us temporary resident visas for the girls and refunded the difference.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:17 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Isn't one of you Canadian, i.e. your boy is too? I think the others are on work permits...but I might be wrong.
Hi Biiink, Sheila is indeed Canadian which automatically makes our daughter a canadian citizen, however my Son, who this thread is about, is not sheila's biological son and therefore isn't a canadian citizen, officially he is just a visitor until (if) our PR is granted
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:42 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddyirish
Hi could any one give me advice about Kids age 15 and 11 who's parents are on a temp work permit, do we need to apply for study permits before we arrive, or can we do that once we have arrived in Canada.
How long does it usually take?
Thanks
Michelle
We know the system for dependants if you are going under a study permit and it appears to be the same under a work pemit. You should get it before you go and ifyou are in a rush then get to the CHC in London realy early and get it on the day and pay in £ Sterling.
Below is from the High Commissions website.

Accompanying children wishing to attend primary or secondary school in Canada must obtain a study permit. They are not required to complete a separate application form but please include the processing fee of $125 per study permit when submitting your application. If you are destined to the province of Quebec, please apply for study permits for your children after your arrival in Canada.