British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Kids sports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/kids-sports-603880/)

iaink Apr 17th 2009 6:20 am

Re: Kids sports

The real reason for the expense here of orgainised sport was touched on earlier but largely ignored....The need for liability insurance seems to be there in every public activity in Canada, whether through the local club or through the provincial and national bodies that receive funding from the local club. The local authorites wont let people on the parks for free becuase they have to cover there arse with insurance should someone get hurt and sue them for an unsafe pitch...either you pay for their coverage, or you never had permission and were tresspassing

Even the community band I play in needs to find nearly $1000 now to pay for insurance to perform in the Santa parades....8 parades, maybe a total of 25 miles a year, driven at near walking pace! On closed roads!...$40 a mile!!!! Its utterly crazy.

R I C H Apr 17th 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7488789)
Even the community band I play in needs to find nearly $1000 now to pay for insurance to perform in the Santa parades....8 parades, maybe a total of 25 miles a year, driven at near walking pace! On closed roads!...$40 a mile!!!! Its utterly crazy.

That is crazy - my liability premiums for public horse riding, and for care of 40 or so boarded horses are not a great deal more than that each year.

iaink Apr 17th 2009 6:36 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 7488823)
That is crazy - my liability premiums for public horse riding, and for care of 40 or so boarded horses are not a great deal more than that each year.

Maybe we should play on horse back....got any deaf horses we could borrow...it would probably be a tax write off...:unsure::o:lol:

R I C H Apr 17th 2009 6:38 am

Got some that act deaf and play dumb - close enough?

iaink Apr 17th 2009 6:41 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 7488841)
Got some that act deaf and play dumb - close enough?

Got two kids like that...:unsure:

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 6:51 am

Back to my original point about a little lad (or girl) just wanting a team game but can't because of limited family income.

Iank's suggestion of being sponsored by organisations like Canadian Tire is a start, but when I see the fees being paid up (nothing wrong with that) I see where the money is being spent. Ref's uniforms and coaches are supplied with very expensive uniforms and weather proof jackets each embroidered with the name of each individual team. Very nice too, and professional looking.

BC has a truly embarrassing record of child povery:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...y.html?ref=rss

What with these poor kids having nothing to do and that they are very open to getting started on drugs or being enrolled in gang activity.

I would love to see some scholarships for these kids so that at least those with potential or some ability have a hope of participating.

iaink Apr 17th 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by seaham gal (Post 7488878)
Back to my original point about a little lad (or girl) just wanting a team game but can't because of limited family income.

Iank's suggestion of being sponsored by organisations like Canadian Tire is a start, but when I see the fees being paid up (nothing wrong with that) I see where the money is being spent. Ref's uniforms and coaches are supplied with very expensive uniforms and weather proof jackets each embroidered with the name of each individual team. Very nice too, and professional looking.

I think you will find the team jackets etc are (usually) optional and at additional cost.

The team shirts are really not all that expensive as the clubs buy in bulk, I doubt its exceeding $15-20 for shirt and socks, and of course the sponsors are footing that bill as their name is on the shirt (Im assuming most minor teams have sponsors..ours do anyway) .

One thing our club does is makes sure than any unwanted kit at the end of the year is collected and sent to clubs (generally on northern reserves or in central america) that cannot afford to buy.

I suspect the in many cases the funding is there is the parents seek it out, but sadly the kids that have most to lose are the ones whose parents are not willing / able to look out for them, and thats a shame for sure. Sadly part of life is that kids who dont have engaged parents are the ones who often get left behind.

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7488915)
I think you will find the team jackets etc are (usually) optional and at additional cost.

The team shirts are really not all that expensive as the clubs buy in bulk, I doubt its exceeding $15-20 for shirt and socks, and of course the sponsors are footing that bill as their name is on the shirt (Im assuming most minor teams have sponsors..ours do anyway) .

One thing our club does is makes sure than any unwanted kit at the end of the year is collected and sent to clubs (generally on northern reserves or in central america) that cannot afford to buy.

I suspect the in many cases the funding is there is the parents seek it out, but sadly the kids that have most to lose are the ones whose parents are not willing / able to look out for them, and thats a shame for sure. Sadly part of life is that kids who dont have engaged parents are the ones who often get left behind.

Sadly true

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 7:13 am

It's the managers and coaches who get them...my OH came home with his freebie and he didn't even need one. Think they just want everything to match and look professional. This I think is very mis-spent and badly judged.

When we go to a big meet - you see hundreds of these men in their expensive jackets - makes me mad.

wbexpat Apr 17th 2009 7:19 am

Originally Posted by seaham gal (Post 7488939)

It's the managers and coaches who get them...my OH came home with his freebie and he didn't even need one. Think they just want everything to match and look professional. This I think is very mis-spent and badly judged.

When we go to a big meet - you see hundreds of these men in their expensive jackets - makes me mad.

the funny thing is half of them cant kick a ball!

iaink Apr 17th 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by seaham gal (Post 7488939)

Maybe not all of them are freebies;). If you feel the money is being misspent, joint the commitee...they are probably glad to have another pair of hands to help out.

Oh well, all I get is a FOTL T-shirt with the logo printed on it...Its an X-L size so maybe $5 or so...and considering they get me two evenings a week for a couple of months its probably pretty good value as that's all I get. (other than the pleasure of doing it, which is the real point of amateur sport anyway) Maybe thats the difference between $75 a season and $500 a season?

I played high level amateur hockey for maybe 20 years in the UK and only once was given a shirt (University, national indoor finals, sponsored by a major brewery unsuprisingly), every other one I had to pay for, tracksuits and bench jackets too:( Mind you, hockey (field hockey) is as amateur a sport as you are ever likely to find.

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 7:23 am

Originally Posted by wbexpat (Post 7488957)
the funny thing is half of them cant kick a ball!

Gotta say - mine was a u16 national coach. Does it for free here of course but as I said he'd love to start a group for these kids OR see some scholarships for them.

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 7:25 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7488962)
Maybe not all of them are freebies;). If you feel the money is being misspent, joint the commitee...they are probably glad to have another pair of hands to help out.

Oh well, all I get is a FOTL T-shirt with the logo printed on it...Its an X-L size so maybe $5 or so...and considering they get me two evenings a week for a couple of months its probably pretty good value as that's all I get. (other than the pleasure of doing it, which is the real point of amateur sport anyway) Maybe thats the difference between $75 a season and $500 a season?

I played high level amateur hockey for maybe 20 years in the UK and only once was given a shirt (University, national indoor finals, sponsored by a major brewery unsuprisingly), every other one I had to pay for, tracksuits and bench jackets too:( Mind you, hockey (field hockey) is as amateur a sport as you are ever likely to find.

They are all free here. He would have joned the committee but attended one and said they were all self indulgent w*****s:lol:

iaink Apr 17th 2009 7:28 am

Originally Posted by seaham gal (Post 7488979)
They are all free here. He would have joned the committee but attended one and said they were all self indulgent w*****s:lol:

I dont see how you can know what the other clubs are funding and how?

Anyway, How is that ever going to change unless someone who's not a self indulgent w***** joins up to show them the light? If you want to change things you have to do it from the inside;)

seaham gal Apr 17th 2009 7:35 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7488995)
I dont see how you can know what the other clubs are funding and how?

Anyway, How is that ever going to change unless someone who's not a self indulgent w***** joins up to show them the light? If you want to change things you have to do it from the inside;)

Well this was the annual meet for the 80 clubs in the area. Now retired he doesn't want to get that involved. People do put hours and hours in at that level. He just coaches twice a week and goes to matches every Saturday...which can mean five hours for distant inter-area games. He loves the game and the kids.