Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids Shoes....properly fitted in Canada..HELP

Kids Shoes....properly fitted in Canada..HELP

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids Shoes....properly fitted in Canada..HELP

I have spent the past two weekends in both Calgary & Lethbridge trying to find a shoe store that sells & correctly fits good quality childrens leather shoes...what a joke that has been. People are looking at me as though I am stupid....why on earth would I want my childs feet correctly fitted and even more so, why would I want to spend more than $10 on a pair of shoes that are going to last a whole week and at the end of the week my daughter has blisters and sore toes!!!!

There are some lovely shoe stores selling the perfect good quality fitted leather shoes for adults...although they do not sell kids....brands like clarks etc. So I guess there are thousands of kids walking around Canada with damaged feet due to cheap and nasty shoes...But Hey!!!! Once they turn into an adult they can have some wonderful comfortable shoes....do parents just not care as long as the parents feet are comfortable???

Does anyone know of anywhere in Calgary where I could get anything like this? Someone suggested "The Running Room"...ha ha another joke....the runners there are for adults only....NO KIDS!!!! So yet again....cheap and nasty plastic hannah montanna runners....lots of them available!!!

I am getting pretty desperate now as all the shoes we bought from the UK when we moved here last year, no longer fit, and I just cannot find any to replace them with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

ladylord is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Kids Shoes....properly fitted in Canada..HELP

Originally Posted by JasonnJane
I have spent the past two weekends in both Calgary & Lethbridge trying to find a shoe store that sells & correctly fits good quality childrens leather shoes...what a joke that has been. People are looking at me as though I am stupid....why on earth would I want my childs feet correctly fitted and even more so, why would I want to spend more than $10 on a pair of shoes that are going to last a whole week and at the end of the week my daughter has blisters and sore toes!!!!

There are some lovely shoe stores selling the perfect good quality fitted leather shoes for adults...although they do not sell kids....brands like clarks etc. So I guess there are thousands of kids walking around Canada with damaged feet due to cheap and nasty shoes...But Hey!!!! Once they turn into an adult they can have some wonderful comfortable shoes....do parents just not care as long as the parents feet are comfortable???

Does anyone know of anywhere in Calgary where I could get anything like this? Someone suggested "The Running Room"...ha ha another joke....the runners there are for adults only....NO KIDS!!!! So yet again....cheap and nasty plastic hannah montanna runners....lots of them available!!!

I am getting pretty desperate now as all the shoes we bought from the UK when we moved here last year, no longer fit, and I just cannot find any to replace them with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
You could try The Shoe Company who measure feet, or this one I found on Google http://www.littlefootprints.ca/

I don't live in Alberta, by find good some of the kids shoe shops pricey in comparison to the UK
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmmmm....don't if there is one in Calgary, but am sure I saw one in the big huge mall in Edmonton when I was there. ALDO KIDS

That is where I buy my son's shoes. On the running room advice, please only go in there when you know exactly what shoes and fit you want. They aren't experts at fitting!

As a runner, I had GAIT analysis done years ago, and based on how you land and stride, shoes are recommended to you, which you can then go purchase anywhere, even online from the US like I do, once you've tried them out in the store here.

There is also OSHKOSH (sp) that sells kids shoes

good luck
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

There's a kid's shoe shop in Market Mall - don't recall it's name now - but it's near the kids zone (near Old Navy) and on the opposite side to American Eagle. It looks pricey.

The Shoe Company and Payless will help you fit shoes - and it's not all cheap crap in there, despite first impressions.

To be honest, you can do it yourself - you know more about how the shoe fits or rides up or is loose on heels than you think!

I spend more on cheaper shoes here then in the UK - but in the UK it was a fairly simple exercise. They had one "sensible" pair of Clarks shoes for school and a pair of trainers - and then sometimes some wellies thrown into the mix.

Here the kids have various shoes suitable for school - ranging from snow boots for the -25 days, to flip flops for summer. Then we have "indoor shoes" that are usually trainers, which double up for PE. Then we need some other trainer/casual shoes to keep at home anyway. And then the buggers keep growing too! Daughter Number One went up four shoe sizes in one year, and Daughter Number Two is hitting her stride now too (no pun intended) - three sizes since January. Snow boots from March no longer fit her.

Good luck - relax - and you will find something to suit you all.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Does The Bay not have a children's shoe department anymore?

Also, it's too bad Panda doesn't have a location in Alberta - they're probably what you're looking for. They have locations all over BC. Heading west any time soon?

http://www.chaussurespanda.com/en/Shoes-Company.php

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 2nd 2011 at 8:17 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly the store Ann was referring to is I think now gone.............I think it was shooligans and they sold lovely classic leather italian shoes

We got my daughter some clarks when we were over in the summer!
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Softmoc has lots of good kids shoes:

http://www.softmoc.com/ca/locations_result.asp
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ladylord
You could try The Shoe Company who measure feet, or this one I found on Google http://www.littlefootprints.ca/

I don't live in Alberta, by find good some of the kids shoe shops pricey in comparison to the UK

Thanks for this link, I am going to give them a call tomorrow as there are some really nice shoes on the links here. Hopefully they have some in stock and I will drive up to Calgary again next week. Thank you
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Hmmmmmm....don't if there is one in Calgary, but am sure I saw one in the big huge mall in Edmonton when I was there. ALDO KIDS

That is where I buy my son's shoes. On the running room advice, please only go in there when you know exactly what shoes and fit you want. They aren't experts at fitting!

As a runner, I had GAIT analysis done years ago, and based on how you land and stride, shoes are recommended to you, which you can then go purchase anywhere, even online from the US like I do, once you've tried them out in the store here.

There is also OSHKOSH (sp) that sells kids shoes

good luck

Thanks for the advice, i will remember that when i get myself some runners...I tried Sports check today as a friend said that new balance are a good runner for kids, with built up arches etc...they had 1 pair in her size which slid up and down at the back...not having much look at the moment, even with runners, but thanks anyway
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
There's a kid's shoe shop in Market Mall - don't recall it's name now - but it's near the kids zone (near Old Navy) and on the opposite side to American Eagle. It looks pricey.

The Shoe Company and Payless will help you fit shoes - and it's not all cheap crap in there, despite first impressions.

To be honest, you can do it yourself - you know more about how the shoe fits or rides up or is loose on heels than you think!

I spend more on cheaper shoes here then in the UK - but in the UK it was a fairly simple exercise. They had one "sensible" pair of Clarks shoes for school and a pair of trainers - and then sometimes some wellies thrown into the mix.

Here the kids have various shoes suitable for school - ranging from snow boots for the -25 days, to flip flops for summer. Then we have "indoor shoes" that are usually trainers, which double up for PE. Then we need some other trainer/casual shoes to keep at home anyway. And then the buggers keep growing too! Daughter Number One went up four shoe sizes in one year, and Daughter Number Two is hitting her stride now too (no pun intended) - three sizes since January. Snow boots from March no longer fit her.

Good luck - relax - and you will find something to suit you all.

Such a shame that it is not there anymore, so frustrating, thank you anyway
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lychee
Does The Bay not have a children's shoe department anymore?

Also, it's too bad Panda doesn't have a location in Alberta - they're probably what you're looking for. They have locations all over BC. Heading west any time soon?

http://www.chaussurespanda.com/en/Shoes-Company.php

No plans to head in that direction anytime soon, but they look like the perfect place, typical that they have no branches in Alberta, thank you anyway
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gryphea
Sadly the store Ann was referring to is I think now gone.............I think it was shooligans and they sold lovely classic leather italian shoes

We got my daughter some clarks when we were over in the summer!

If i knew they would fit, I would get my mum to send over a pair, but i guess that is defeating the object in correctly fitted shoes lol....mmmmm maybe need to go on a visit back to the UK and bring back shoes in many sizes lol, thanks for letting me know that the store Ann mentioned is now closed, saved me a trip
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bgroe
Softmoc has lots of good kids shoes:

http://www.softmoc.com/ca/locations_result.asp

I got excited then when i saw your link, just checked online the girls size 4, lots of boots, snow boots, sandles and runners but no shoes aagggghhhh, thanks for trying though
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

It's a seasonal thing - no shoes in the winter
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Well having been brought up with clarks shoes myself, I wanted to make sure my kids shoes fitted properly and would be just right.
The best place I have found, is payless!!! And I do! With my AMA card I get 10% off shoes in there, they are some really good ones too, and my kids feet are just perfect!
Dont forget they dont have to wear stiff shoes here, as theres no school uniform. So the fit is easier to get right with runners etc!
You should have a payless in Lethbridge maybe??
Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.