Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kids Making Friends

Kids Making Friends

Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kids Making Friends

I am 11 years old and worried about making friends when i move to B.C.

Whats it like for kids?! and will it be easy to make friends and leave the U.K??
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of
Default Re: Kids Making Friends

Hi

we live in Ontario but i moved my two boys of 16 and 18 , and they have had no trouble making friends , my 16 year old goes to school , he was nervous the first day and so was i , but the guidance counceller who sorted his lessons out got another student to show him around , by the end of the day he had 6 new friends and by the end of the week he had made many friends , he was invited out bowling , cinema and parties , he has no regrets , everyone was friendly and really helpfull.

i would think you would have no problem , if you are into sports that is always an ice breaker.

do not worry ,
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays

I am 11 years old and worried about making friends when i move to B.C.

Whats it like for kids?! and will it be easy to make friends and leave the U.K??
Hello there hun

My kids are exactly the same - and it's alright when mum and dad say everything will be fine but that doesnt help you does it ?

If you have ever been to Canada before you will know how friendly people are and they all make you feel very at ease - they try to understand that this is strange for you.

When we have been over to see our family and friends even people who don't know us would hear our British accent and want to speak to us. We even made a friend out of a lady who worked on the customer service desk in the local shopping mall.

Just think when you go to your new school and all those Canadian kids hear your fab accent - they will all want to be friends with "that new British kid" and I am more than sure that they will want to help you settle in and show you around town. You will probably have a great social life because they will be inviting you over after school and you will be Mr or Miss Popular.

Life is Canada is different for kids than here in the UK - you don't hang around the streets playing footie etc but instead you would go to amazing recreational areas to play, or in the summer go to the open air swimming pools or just have people round your house to hang out.

There are plenty of sport facilities for you to enjoy and most areas have these, clubs to go to after school and then at the weekend go and explore the lovely country side.

I am sure that you will have a wonderful time in Canada - and remember it will only be what YOU make it - so go out and go for it.

Hope you have a fab time in Canada

Gaynor (mum)
x
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Kids Making Friends

Hi
Thank you very much!!
I have been to canada twice and looked at schools there.
But i was still a bit worried (for some strange reason!)
It helps that i know other people are going through the same thing.

love from Jenny xx
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thank you very much!!

love from Jenny xx
Jenny

That is fine - if you would like to chat to my daughter who is 12 why don't i try to hook you both up.

Maybe that would help both of you.

She uses MSN alot and this is how she hopes to keep in touch with her friends that she will leave behind in UK.

lots of love

Gaynor
x
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Hi
Thank you very much!!

love from Jenny xx
Hi Jenny,
Like Gaynor said, the accent will be a powerful friend making tool. As a school teacher here in BC, kids (and adults) love anything different and will want to learn more about you very quickly. Before you know it, you'll have a wide circle of friends and acqaintances. Being invited over to friends' houses and counter invites are very much the norm, with tons for you to get involved in.
You'll love it.
Sid
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cool Re: Kids Making Friends

Hi
This is Jenny's mum. Thanks for all the support! It's a tough time, full of excitement and trepedation!:scared:

Gaynor, Jenny would love to catch up with your daughter. Jenny has
MSN too, do you have an email address she can use to MSN her on?

Sid, Thanks for the teacher's view! We came to Kelowna back in March and Jenny visited Anne McClymont school, Glenfir down in Summerland, and a couple of others. Everyone was very kind to her, and she got to know a few people then.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to Jenny,
MK Murrays!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi
This is Jenny's mum. Thanks for all the support! It's a tough time, full of excitement and trepedation!:scared:

Gaynor, Jenny would love to catch up with your daughter. Jenny has
MSN too, do you have an email address she can use to MSN her on?

Sid, Thanks for the teacher's view! We came to Kelowna back in March and Jenny visited Anne McClymont school, Glenfir down in Summerland, and a couple of others. Everyone was very kind to her, and she got to know a few people then.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to Jenny,
MK Murrays!
Hi Jenny's mum

Hannah is out at the mo but I will get her to PM you or something with her details - think it would be nice when we all get to Canada so that they both have peeps to speak to because as you know Mum knows nothing about stuff !!!

Gay
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, Jenny will look forward to it.

Sharon
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:55 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

Hi all,my 13 year old daughter had her first day at middle school on Thursday,they put her into 8th grade to do the last 6 months before going up to high school.
I'm not the most maternal of mothers but never the less spent the day wondering if she was ok and really wanted to be home when she got back.Anyway we got a phone call 5 mins after school finished to ask if she could go round to her friends house! I was like "what friends,it's your first day?".So,she was there that evening,went to the cinema Fri and Sat night and this morning has just left to go into Calgary to go shopping in the Chinook mall with a bunch of girlfriends
To think this time last week she was nervous about school and making friends
Old Jan 14th 2007, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello
Thank you.
Hopefully the same will happen to me and i will make new friends.
love from Jenny x
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy1
Hi all,my 13 year old daughter had her first day at middle school on Thursday,they put her into 8th grade to do the last 6 months before going up to high school.
I'm not the most maternal of mothers but never the less spent the day wondering if she was ok and really wanted to be home when she got back.Anyway we got a phone call 5 mins after school finished to ask if she could go round to her friends house! I was like "what friends,it's your first day?".So,she was there that evening,went to the cinema Fri and Sat night and this morning has just left to go into Calgary to go shopping in the Chinook mall with a bunch of girlfriends
To think this time last week she was nervous about school and making friends

My son was 14 when we came over and he cried when he said goodbye to his large and very close circle of friends in the UK.

But he had exactly the same experience here. He loved school from day 1 as it was "kewl", the teachers were "kewl" and the kids friendly. Unfortunately he had to move schools after a couple of months as we moved house, and he was equally worried about making friends in the new school. He needn't have worried, he found the new school even better than the previous one, and the kids were kind and friendly.

Everybody wanted to be his friend to the point that they almost fought over him! He now has a girlfriend, and I think he may have moved out, we see him so seldom!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:35 pm
fortune favours the brave

poppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nicepoppy1 is just really nice

It was quite funny when she came home Friday night.She told us one of her friends had asked what she'd got for Christmas,she replied "I got a compuuderrr(best Canadian accent I can type)she was like 'woh,where did that come from?' It shocked her that in the space of 2 days at school she'd picked up bit of an accent.She was also quite cross and insistant that she wants to keep her English accent.
She's out all day today with friends so I may not recognise her when she gets home
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Kids Making Friends

Thanks for the comments - Jenny's excited that so many people took the trouble to write to reassure her.
Cheers!
Murrays
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the comments - Jenny's excited that so many people took the trouble to write to reassure her.
Cheers!
Murrays
Hi Poppy 1

Never knew you too had a girl same age as our Hannah. Hope Hannah adjusts just as well as your has ! She is always looking for new friends to chat with so maybe we too can hook up

Gaynor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.