Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The kids first day at school today

The kids first day at school today

Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:37 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute
Default The kids first day at school today

Something's not right here, I'm more nervous than them!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:50 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The kids first day at school today

Originally Posted by Bleech
Good luck Bleech, you've got a nervous day ahead of you.

Then they'll come in full of what they did and how great it was and you'll wonder why you were worrying at all

Been there, done that, got the t shirt!!
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:52 pm

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IceMaiden
Good luck Bleech, you've got a nervous day ahead of you.

Then they'll come in full of what they did and how great it was and you'll wonder why you were worrying at all

Been there, done that, got the t shirt!!
Yeah I know, kinda strange though. I wasn't worried at all back in the UK on their first day at school. I'm sure they'll be fine plus it's another step forward it ditching their Bristolian farmer accent! Something their father will never lose
Old Sep 5th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Me too Bleech. Have just dropped them off and it was awful - all these kids who know eachother and them just hanging around at the edge. My daughter (Grade 4) will be fine I think, but I worry about my son (Grade 6). He's quite shy and awkward and the only boy he knew completely ignored him and went off with his buddies. Bastard! Girls are way more friendly.

Also found out that there are 33 in his class and he's in a portable. I had hoped things would be a bit better than that!

It's all so new for them - even down to the Oh Canada singing at the beginning!

It's our job to worry about them though - hopefully they will just get on with it!
Good luck
SQ
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

PS Bleech - there's nothing wrong with a Bristolian farmer accent!!

SQ
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:03 pm
End of the line

IceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of lightIceMaiden is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I know, kinda strange though. I wasn't worried at all back in the UK on their first day at school. I'm sure they'll be fine plus it's another step forward it ditching their Bristolian farmer accent! Something their father will never lose
lol. We always hoped ours wouldn't pick up the 'Reading/Berkshire' accent when we lived there. Don't know why but we just didn't like it. But we have moved around so much that our 'children' don't seem to have any kind of accents.

BTW when my son started at a new secondary school Y9 I was very nervous for him. When he came home he told me that everyone looked at him when he went into the classroom. He just said 'God has entered the room, you may continue what you were doing'. He said that they all laughed and he was ok. I didn't teach him that one - honest. I am glad I wasn't there at the time.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by snowqueen
PS Bleech - there's nothing wrong with a Bristolian farmer accent!!

SQ
Well I'm stuck with it for life now
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:41 pm

lol. We always hoped ours wouldn't pick up the 'Reading/Berkshire' accent when we lived there. Don't know why but we just didn't like it. But we have moved around so much that our 'children' don't seem to have any kind of accents.

BTW when my son started at a new secondary school Y9 I was very nervous for him. When he came home he told me that everyone looked at him when he went into the classroom. He just said 'God has entered the room, you may continue what you were doing'. He said that they all laughed and he was ok. I didn't teach him that one - honest. I am glad I wasn't there at the time.
I'll try to teach that one to ours. I've been in trouble about the 'God' bit before though as one of the teachers once said to me "Can you please explain to your son that God does not play Number 10 for Arsenal" Oops

We've got 2 starting today, one into Grade 1 and the other into Grade 3. I'm fine about them really, it's just the guilt of taking them out of a settled school in the UK and forcing them through this. Silly really because one of the main reasons of coming here was for the kids in the first place
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:44 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm stuck with it for life now
HELLO
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:51 pm
End of the line

I'll try to teach that one to ours. I've been in trouble about the 'God' bit before though as one of the teachers once said to me "Can you please explain to your son that God does not play Number 10 for Arsenal" Oops

We've got 2 starting today, one into Grade 1 and the other into Grade 3. I'm fine about them really, it's just the guilt of taking them out of a settled school in the UK and forcing them through this. Silly really because one of the main reasons of coming here was for the kids in the first place
Ok I'm not a footie fan, the only 2 Gunners I can recall are, Berkamp and of course Thiery Henry (swoon). So if he was referring to Henry (va va voom) I would agree with him

Its amazing how resiliant children are. Things that we think will phase them, they just sail through. It is usually the little things that matter to them. I suppose things like getting the right bus etc, not the actual day at school and all the new things there. Having worked in a school it is usually the silly things like knowing where the toilets are that tend to phase them a bit. The rest, schoolwork, friends etc etc they just don't get on with.

Just think, in a few weeks time all this will have been forgotten
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:52 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Give it a couple of years and, come late August, you'll start whistling the tune from the Staples advert.

"Oh, it's the most wonderfuuuuuuul time of the year......."
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:55 pm

Ok I'm not a footie fan, the only 2 Gunners I can recall are, Berkamp and of course Thiery Henry (swoon). So if he was referring to Henry (va va voom) I would agree with him

Its amazing how resiliant children are. Things that we think will phase them, they just sail through. It is usually the little things that matter to them. I suppose things like getting the right bus etc, not the actual day at school and all the new things there. Having worked in a school it is usually the silly things like knowing where the toilets are that tend to phase them a bit. The rest, schoolwork, friends etc etc they just don't get on with.

Just think, in a few weeks time all this will have been forgotten
Dennis Bergkamp was Number 10. He was/is known as God and I made the mistake of telling him that once - apparently he neve forgot and bought it up in religious studies oneday:- "But my Dad says..." Doh
I'm sure there'll be some new kids starting as well, so they'll be fine
Old Sep 5th 2006, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Give it a couple of years and, come late August, you'll start whistling the tune from the Staples advert.

"Oh, it's the most wonderfuuuuuuul time of the year......."
I want one of those buttons
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quickie (wife has asked me to ask)

Do the parents wait at the gate for their kiddies at home time (a la England) and, if so, generally do they wait outside of the gates or are they allowed into the playground ?
Old Sep 5th 2006, 2:48 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Just a quickie (wife has asked me to ask)

Do the parents wait at the gate for their kiddies at home time (a la England) and, if so, generally do they wait outside of the gates or are they allowed into the playground ?

Hi Bleech,

They will be fine......I remember when we sent our son to Grade 1 last December when we moved.....we were so nervous. Thinking that he was so settled with loads of friends in Uk....now he'll be on his own with no mates in a new place.....he came back begging to go back .... we found the kids more accomadating and friendly here than back in the uK. GOOD LUCK!

Dying to leave England

When we first moved we thought it would be a good idea to drop our son of outside the school gates so it gave my wife a chance to meet other parents....like in England. Didn't quite work out......must kids came by the school bus. The others that were being dropped off were simply dropped off outside the school gates .... mostly from a conveyor belt of SUV's with electric sliding doors!
However it was winter when we moved so not many parents hanging around
outside We then opted for the school bus where we met loads of kids/parents many from our steet!

Rgds
Mans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.