Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kicking myself down why times get hard in Canada

Kicking myself down why times get hard in Canada

Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:12 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Kicking myself down why times get hard in Canada

I was thinking long and hard about the title to this thread because lets be honest everyone is going to have their own opinion about what I have to type.

The husband is away in Yellowknife and isn't coming back untill Wednesday night and I have really got to see how alone I am here in Alberta.

I seem to have a habit of messing up here with regards to jobs, I don't know if i'm just unlucky, I just don't seem to know when to bite my lip.

I feel homesick and have to keep reminding myself that this sort of crap would still happen at home but I get myself so fired up and go so anti Canada when things go rock bottom for me.

So because I spoke my mind I am now back to square one with no job

I need to start getting my head down and get off the high horse. There is a saying back in the UK "no one likes a smart arse" and it's true.

I always seem to get myself in such horrible messes all the time, i'm quite depressed about it.

So do I stop feeling sorry for myself take a week off and get back into it or do I really book the next flight out of here god look how stupid I sound. Reading it in black and white makes it seem very silly.

It's not working out for me so stuff it attitude, run away...... go on Cassie, blub blub!!!!!! How immature ARE you?

If anyone knows what happened to me and the spa job, I just took all that lying down and got conned and stung. I stood up for myself at this job and still got stung I feel I can't win. Hmmmm, lets all feel sorry for you.

I need to take it as experience, dust myself off again for about the tenth time and get on with it.

I also need to stop being such a SILLY BITCH! Grow up, act your age and move on. I possibly could do with a slap, if i'm honest.

"See I told you I can kick myself when I'm down"
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Kicking myself down why times get hard in Canada

ups and downs, peaks and troughs.

those things that trouble you aren't 'canadian things', they are 'people things' and some people are prats.

but you cannot have good times, without the bad. live and learn and try not to mind the little things.

have hope though.... at least you quoted 'nobody likes a smart arse'. (the use of 'ass' would have been a real cause for concern!)

i suggest you take up ice hockey. a nice healthy activity, quintessentially canuckian and quite possibly the nicest bunch of people you are likely to meet (unless you suggest support for the flames, seeing as you live in oiler country!)
Old Nov 9th 2010, 5:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is you haven't got into the Zen of temping.

Don't take the job or yourself seriously. Fairness never comes into it, you're just a temp. Never, ever want the job permanently, that'll lead to all kinds of perversions. Don't join in with any after-work activity or staff goings on. Don't make try and make friends at the assignment. Remember you work for the temp agency not the place where you are assigned. Keep your mouth shut at all times, nobody cares about you or what you have to say. Never ask for more work, just do the stuff they assign you. Try to blend into the background. If you want more money, you'll have to go to another temp agency. I started off at $11 an hour and got it up to $26.00 per hour within a year by switching and that was in 1995 in the US. And, try and have a couple of fiddles on the side, nothing too illegal, but it'll make it more interesting for you.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:12 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I got laid off recently and one of my coworkers gave me this advice: take at least 3 days and be good to yourself. pamper yourself. Give yourself time to get over the shock etc. So I'm passing that advice onto you. I took her advice and it did seem to help.

I just got a temp. contract for 3 months at far more money so I'm passing that luck onto you too

And stop beating yourself up. It doesn't help. Honestly. Truly. Trust me. It doesn't.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Nov 9th 2010 at 7:14 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:23 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Well, I got laid off recently and one of my coworkers gave me this advice: take at least 3 days and be good to yourself. pamper yourself. Give yourself time to get over the shock etc. So I'm passing that advice onto you. I took her advice and it did seem to help.

I just got a temp. contract for 3 months at far more money so I'm passing that luck onto you too

And stop beating yourself up. It doesn't help. Honestly. Truly. Trust me. It doesn't.
Thanks

I'm going to give myself a week to cool off then hit the big city again scouting round the temping agencys on Monday, which sounds like a good plan.

Hopefully I should have stopped feeling sorry for myself by then.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:25 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Thanks

I'm going to give myself a week to cool off then hit the big city again scouting round the temping agencys on Monday, which sounds like a good plan.

Hopefully I should have stopped feeling sorry for myself by then.
I think it's a good idea. Her advice was don't even think about looking or getting another job for a few days because when you make decisions while emotional they tend to be the wrong decisions. Good advice I thought.

Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I think it's a good idea. Her advice was don't even think about looking or getting another job for a few days because when you make decisions while emotional they tend to be the wrong decisions. Good advice I thought.

Good luck
It is very good advice, I tend to rush into things far too quick, that's another one of my problems.

Thanks for the luck, i'll bag it up for Monday.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

i have been fired a few times. despite the sense of unfairness on occasion, they are never a bad thing.

work is generally something i do because i have to, never because i want to. when unemployment beckons, i can indulge in the things i like. oh so much lovely free time.

for sure, the voices in your head get louder as monetary funds become fewer, but as long as you spend a few hours each day working to secure that next big income, you can enjoy the rest of your day doing those things that are good for the human spirit, if not the bank balance
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:32 pm

Just got the call from the temping company, cheaky cow asked if I was enjoying my time off

She said I did a really good job for the client they loved my hard work and the fact I got lots of production moving but after a long meeting if has been discussed that i'm not the right "fit" for the temping company.

Apparently it was to do with the issue concerning wage

I was very polite and professional and didn't say one word. I sucked it up thought in my head screw you and put the phone down. She was obviously intimidated of me it took her two days to call me

Well that's the end of that chapter, oh well never mind........eh.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Just got the call from the temping company, cheaky cow asked if I was enjoying my time off

She said I did a really good job for the client they loved my hard work and the fact I got lots of production moving but after a long meeting if has been discussed that i'm not the right "fit" for the temping company.

Apparently it was to do with the issue concerning wage

I was very polite and professional and didn't say one word. I sucked it up thought in my head screw you and put the phone down. She was obviously intimidated of me it took her two days to call me

Well that's the end of that chapter, oh well never mind........eh.
Most of the companies I worked for, you'd be fired instantly for discussing yours or anybody's salary.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:11 pm

**** 'em
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Most of the companies I worked for, you'd be fired instantly for discussing yours or anybody's salary.
The thing is I didn't discuss it, it was another temp that spread it around like wild fire.

All I did was say how annoyed I was about the $2 less an hour wage.

The thing is they wanted to make an example out of someone and I shouted and kicked off the loudest
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:47 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your hassles Cassie.

At the end of the day there will always be someone who is earning more than you - I'm still temping and saw some paperwork for the previous temp and she was getting 3 bucks an hour more than me but I accepted the rate I was offered so that's it.

Oinks advice on temping is pretty good - just go and do what you are paid to do, don't expect to be best friends with your colleagues, they will probably forget about you in a week or two after you have gone anyway!

On the plus side with temping, it allows you to take some time off when you like (albeit unpaid), you can (often) pick from a couple of assignments once you get a rapport up with the agency, and you never have to get involved with all that crappy office politics (yay!)

So, as Kiwilass said, take a few days off and pamper yourself, dust yourself down, and off you go again.

Good luck!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:42 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, dont even consider running away back to the UK....for one, its still the UK and secondly, you will be broke in the process.

It is hard to not take things personally and feel persecuted by a new country, I totally get that! And maybe its time to write a list of all the things you gain by being here so you can try to focus on those things.

The other thing to consider is moving within Canada. I have only been to Edmonton once, but I wouldnt swap it for the maritimes to be honest. I know you are likely tied by your partner's employment, but its a thought.

Give it time!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

These things always seem worse when you're away from your support networks and everything is unfamiliar. It's fortunate for us that my OH is very thick-skinned as I would have had the bags packed a hundred times over.

All the best Cassie xx