British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Kelowna or Regina or Sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/kelowna-regina-sydney-932278/)

boiali Apr 18th 2020 5:09 pm

Kelowna or Regina or Sydney

Hello.
I have job offers in those 3 cities. How do they compare?
It will be for a family with 3 kids. We visited all 3 and liked them all. Though I liked Kelowna more hubby liked Regina.

Thanks in advance.

christmasoompa Apr 18th 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Kelowna or Regina or Sydney

Originally Posted by boiali (Post 12840649)
Hello.
It will be for a family with 3 kids. We visited all 3 and liked them all. Though I liked Kelowna more hubby liked Regina.

Thanks in advance.

Sydney Nova Scotia I assume? I'd say it would depend on the salary, is it the same for all locations, or different salaries on offer for each?

And what do you like to do/want in amenities?

caretaker Apr 18th 2020 6:02 pm

I like Regina but if I was 2 doctors with 3 kids I'd head for Kelowna.

Siouxie Apr 19th 2020 12:50 am

Perhaps revisit your thread ... as well as get other input from members, of course.. :)

If you really dislike extreme temperatures I think I would go for Kelowna.. I have friends that live there (and a few BE members live in the area...) - try and find out not just the temperature but the wind chill temperature :)
https://sarm.ca/+pub/File/Workshop%2...%20in%20SK.pdf (opens in new tab)
https://www.climatestotravel.com/cli...da/nova-scotia
https://www.weatherstats.ca/winners....na;category=68

Danny B Apr 19th 2020 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by boiali (Post 12840649)
Hello.

Thanks in advance.

If weather makes a difference in your decision, Kelowna has a short and mild winter compared to Regina.
Snow on the ground mid Dec until mid March out this way.

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 19th 2020 7:08 pm

I'd choose Kelowna if the choice was those 3 citys.

caretaker Apr 19th 2020 7:22 pm

Access to all the wilderness stuff within an easy drive; the opportunity to be eaten alive by either bears, wolves, or lions (you can't get that just anywhere). Also skiing, fishing, biking (see above), and if you like wine there are a few wineries between there and the US border.

boiali Apr 19th 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks for reply to you all.
yes Sydney in Nova Scotia. The salaries in Kelowna and Sydney will be comparable, Regina would be higher but busier.

is the comment about being eaten by wolves a joke or real? I haven’t come across that before as being of particular concern for Kelowna.

whats there to like about Regina over Kelowna? Genuine question as hubby also says he prefers Regina to Kelowna. We visited Kelowna first and it was nice and he liked it. Then we went to Regina a few months later (and it was snowing) and he said he “connects” with Regina but can’t say why. I just thought he forgot Kelowna. Lol

caretaker Apr 19th 2020 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by boiali (Post 12841109)
yes Sydney in Nova Scotia. The salaries in Kelowna and Sydney will be comparable, Regina would be higher but busier.

is the comment about being eaten by wolves a joke or real? I haven’t come across that before as being of particular concern for Kelowna.

whats there to like about Regina over Kelowna? Genuine question as hubby also says he prefers Regina to Kelowna. We visited Kelowna first and it was nice and he liked it. Then we went to Regina a few months later (and it was snowing) and he said he “connects” with Regina but can’t say why. I just thought he forgot Kelowna. Lol

There is probably some deep psychic connection he feels with the prairies, and it's understandable, to me at least. Being eaten alive by wolves is far less likely than being eaten by bears or lions, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Regina can get to -40, not just -30, so there's a bit of a trade off there. I've seen -44 and +44 here in Regina. Kelowna can get hot, but not all summer so with A/C or some planning it's survivable.

cxx Apr 20th 2020 6:25 pm

So you preferred Kelowna, OH preferred Regina, does that mean neither of you liked Sydney?

Cost of living is likely to be much lower in Sydney, but it's very remote and your kids may not enjoy that.

Stumpylegs Apr 20th 2020 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by boiali (Post 12841109)

Having spent a weekend in both cities, I felt exactly the same - obviously i don't know your background, but whilst Regina is bigger than Kelowna, it had more of a small town feel to it to me. I felt like in Regina everyone and everywhere was approachable and it was somewhat of a level playing field, Kelowna just felt more spread out and a bit more upper market in areas - and thats not me.

I felt like Kelowna was actually the better city in most ways, but almost felt like Regina was more homely.

1speedy Apr 26th 2020 9:36 pm

I know you are looking specific with the 3 cities but I will say this, back in the late 1980's I went to Penticton for Ironman Canada and my wife and I fell in love with the Okanagan valley so much so I ended up doing Ironman Canada race for 19 years, as we always had a 10 day or so tour around BC after. Being an aerospace engineer I knew there were no jobs in the Penticton area for me although I did try for one in Kelowna but it didn't work out. I know Kelowna is a lot busier than Penticton but the whole Okanagan area is wonderful. I was from Wales originally but have lived in Southern California now for 40 years.

Lychee Apr 27th 2020 8:38 pm

Haven't been to Regina or Sydney, but Kelowna's a popular summer holiday destination for BC and Alberta residents. It's a resort city with beaches on lakes, pleasure boating, hundreds of wineries nearby (the Okanagan Valley, which Kelowna is in, is famous for its wine), fruit orchards, a semi-arid climate, hiking, mountain biking, and equal distance from Calgary and Vancouver, with easy flight connections to the two. Culturally, it's a bit more on the conservative side compared to other BC cities of that size. It's also a popular retirement community due to the mild (compared to the rest of Canada) climate.

boiali May 5th 2020 9:40 am

Thanks all,
From reading this Kelowna is winning... the hospital have also improved on the offer as they knew there is competition. Still haven't accepted any offer yet. Sometimes I feel we are getting somewhere then I totally confuse myself. Kelowna does PNP, Regina does work permit. Sydney will also do PNP.

Lychee May 5th 2020 9:10 pm

Keep in mind that Kelowna, Sydney, and Regina are going to give you vastly different experiences of Canada, similarly to somebody trying to figure out where in Europe they should live, and they're trying to pick between a small resort city in Tuscany, a former coal mining community in rural Wales, or a fair-sized administrative city in the plains of Ukraine.

What sort of lifestyle are you seeking when you're not working? What sort of climate and landscape do you want to life your life surrounded by? What values do you want your neighbours to have? Canada's provinces are vast. When you pick a province to live in, or even a region within that province, you are very rarely venturing outside that region to explore parts of Canada that look and feel different. At least not without a significant investment in time and money. If you choose to live in Maritime Canada (Nova Scotia is a part of the Maritimes), it's a very different look and feel and culture than Prairie Canada (where Saskatchewan is) or west coast Canada (where Kelowna is). They may as well be different countries.

caretaker May 5th 2020 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lychee (Post 12848863)
What sort of climate and landscape do you want to life your life surrounded by? What values do you want your neighbours to have? Canada's provinces are vast.

Oh jesus this is where I started hearing the music! :rofl: