Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kelowna or Nova Scotia

Kelowna or Nova Scotia

Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:11 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kelowna or Nova Scotia

I am finding that initial salaries in NS are lower for me as I have no Canadian experience. As a qualified accountant, I am about to start a job that is paying me the same number in CAD as I earnt in GBP. This is hard for me to deal with but I have been told that I need to get some Canadian experience under my belt and then I can go and earn my UK equivalent.
Not sure if this is the same in your field or in Kelowna but wanted to share.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:00 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Essentially what I was trying to say with my long-winded drivel!
Yes, but you and JonboyE, summed this up brilliantly! Thank you both so much for putting your thoughts as you did. We really WANT to go to the Maritimes, because we think it has the best opportunities for our particular family circumstances. My husband, sometimes, quite fancies the idea of the Okanagen though, as he grew up there. Your points were wonderfully and clearly put, and yes, I think they should be a sticky too!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind words about my post!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinm
Thanks for your replies.
I liked the whole Kettle Valley feel but the gardens are very small, I will be looking at other areas this time.
Stepford wives sounds good to me

Printer - Any suggestions on 'good' areas to see?
Well it all depends what you want/need. There are lots of nice houses with good size plots and views in the older part of the upper mission and also Crawford Estates although prices can be high for a good one. Still some older ones ripe for reno if you have the desire and the money.
My personal favourite area is South East Kelowna, its more spacious, rural and only 10 minutes to lower mission shopping and the lake or same distance to Orchard Mall. We looked at a nice house in that area but in the end the accommodation layout wasn't right. McCullough Estates is one such sub division.
Glenmore has some nice parts and Magic Estates bordering Knox mountain is nice. There are some nice homes at Dilworth Mountain too but one thing to watch for is the driveway. Many have really steep drives and this can be a selling problem not to mention actually using it and maintaining it. A client told me that the Okanagan dream is a lake view with a flat drive, if you have both of those you've made it.
On the other side of the bridge West Kelowna Estates offers some fantastic City and lake views and a few older value for money properties can be found amongst the renovated palaces.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevinm will become famous soon enoughkevinm will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by printer
Well it all depends what you want/need. There are lots of nice houses with good size plots and views in the older part of the upper mission and also Crawford Estates although prices can be high for a good one. Still some older ones ripe for reno if you have the desire and the money.
My personal favourite area is South East Kelowna, its more spacious, rural and only 10 minutes to lower mission shopping and the lake or same distance to Orchard Mall. We looked at a nice house in that area but in the end the accommodation layout wasn't right. McCullough Estates is one such sub division.
Glenmore has some nice parts and Magic Estates bordering Knox mountain is nice. There are some nice homes at Dilworth Mountain too but one thing to watch for is the driveway. Many have really steep drives and this can be a selling problem not to mention actually using it and maintaining it. A client told me that the Okanagan dream is a lake view with a flat drive, if you have both of those you've made it.
On the other side of the bridge West Kelowna Estates offers some fantastic City and lake views and a few older value for money properties can be found amongst the renovated palaces.
Thanks very much for your reply.
I have noticed a few of places when driving round in my google street car

Ideally would like outdoor space having 2 small children, also the thought of doing a property up appeals to me.
Only 2 weeks now and ill be there Thanks again
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

scliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nicescliffe is just really nice

might be worth remembering that the climate in Kelowna is like California......well for at least the summer it gets as hot as Spain. However the winters are cold and raw and go on and on so living in Kelowna is like living inbetween two taps ......scolding hot and freezing cold
Nova scotia is way more value for money
British Columbia is very pretty but an expensive rip off in all areas from gas prices, car insurance and house prices
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

don't forget that there is more to the Okanagan than just Kelowna . . . . . same lifestyle, not so pricey, not so dry!!!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe
might be worth remembering that the climate in Kelowna is like California......well for at least the summer it gets as hot as Spain. However the winters are cold and raw and go on and on so living in Kelowna is like living inbetween two taps ......scolding hot and freezing cold
British Columbia is very pretty but an expensive rip off in all areas from gas prices, car insurance and house prices
Absolute crap. If you are going to give people information on places make sure that information is not blatantly wrong.

The winters are not cold and raw and do not go on and on. I think you are mistaking The Okanagan for Alberta. This year Spring was late but the winter was mild as always. We had about one really cold week where i think it dipped to minus 18 for a day. Average winter temperatures here are nothing compared to most of Canada which is why so many old people come to retire.
Last year the golf courses were open in February.

If car insurance is such a rip off in BC why is it that people from Ontario complain about quotes for thousands of dollars on standard SUV's. The fact is ICBC may not be everyones favourite company but the rates for insurance are not that bad in comparrison to other provinces.

Please tell us how much your car insurance is in NS and what are you paying for gas right now? Please also back up your claims about Kelowna winters with some figures
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute crap. If you are going to give people information on places make sure that information is not blatantly wrong.

The winters are not cold and raw and do not go on and on. I think you are mistaking The Okanagan for Alberta. This year Spring was late but the winter was mild as always. We had about one really cold week where i think it dipped to minus 18 for a day. Average winter temperatures here are nothing compared to most of Canada which is why so many old people come to retire.

If car insurance is such a rip off in BC why is it that people from Ontario complain about quotes for thousands of dollars on standard SUV's. The fact is ICBC may not be everyones favourite company but the rates for insurance are not that bad in comparrison to other provinces.

Please tell us how much your car insurance is in NS and what are you paying for gas right now? Please also back up your claims about Kelowna winters with some figures
^^^ What he said.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:01 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree - winters in Kelowna are not cold and raw! Gas here in rainy, wet, miserable (can I come back to Kelowna for a bit PLEASE!) are $1.35 this week - no doubt they will go UP again on Friday when they do their weekly change. Joy.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 1:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scliffe

I think most of us realised that Scliffe was talking twaddle
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would agree - winters in Kelowna are not cold and raw! Gas here in rainy, wet, miserable (can I come back to Kelowna for a bit PLEASE!) are $1.35 this week - no doubt they will go UP again on Friday when they do their weekly change. Joy.
So Amy confirms what i thought, gas is actualy more expensive in NS as we are paying $1.31 right now
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I think scliffe was mistaking the Okanagan for Okotoks... ?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 2:35 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

So Amy confirms what i thought, gas is actualy more expensive in NS as we are paying $1.31 right now
Most things (except some housing and most car insurance) are more expensive in NS!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Most things (except some housing and most car insurance) are more expensive in NS!
Including your income tax as well i believe. You really should have stayed in Kelowna.