Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keeping spirits up

Keeping spirits up

Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Keeping spirits up

Hi recall writing in another thread that a good way to keep your spirits up whilst waiting to apply, or waiting for you application to go through, was to look for pictures or you tube videos of where you want to be.

Let me retract that. I looked on google images today and saw pictures of the area we want to go to, and I felt a strange pining feeling that could almost be described as feeling home sick

Not really what I wanted to achieve.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping spirits up

didn't have time to read through your blog but saw that your wife is a RN. Last weekend (it might not be too late) the Montfort Hospital in Ottawa had a jobfair to recruit 400 new nurses.

http://www.hopitalmontfort.com/career-at-montfort.cfm

there is a link to the Montfort in Ottawa. This of course may not be the area you were looking for but it might help others. Good luck
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the tip.

Calgary is our desired location. I will be a long haul anyway given the wait for the PR quota to be reset, and the training that will be required.

No one said it would be easy
Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:34 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

hope it passes soon mate, but doesnt it just reinforce that you are making the right choice? i look at our pictures of vancouver whenever i feel like itll never happen but fingers crossed our pnp is being processed, they have just asked their questions so soon!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

beckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the roughbeckybev is a jewel in the rough

It's funny you should start this thread. I took your advice by looking through Flickr and Youtube of our destination. I too thought it would be a good idea, and I too had the same feeling of homesickness and feeling like we are missing out. While it is great that we feel this way, it is horrendous not knowing when we'll ever get there.

At the minute life is still going on here. DD is applying for colleges next year after her gcses and DS is picking his options ready for year 10 next year. We never thought we'd still be here and it feels weird having to make choices about things that we don't want to do because we don't want to be here.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:58 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Aw, I feel for you guys as I know how you are feeling right now. Keep positive, we thought we'd never get here but it happened out of the blue.

Hope you are all planning a big Canadian style Halloween. Go and buy as many pumpkins as you can lay your hands on and get carving that'll keep your spirits up for sure!! (and enjoy the "nice" chocolate while you can )
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:35 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisparr
Let me retract that. I looked on google images today and saw pictures of the area we want to go to,
Thanks. I did this today and it helped me
Attached Thumbnails Keeping spirits up-800px-turf_tavern_entrance_in_oxford-_england.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFCg0tBDck

The one above is a great one for Alberta! I came across it the other day!

This ones also really neat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiVWM3SZAY

You are right, you have to keep the spirits up and believe it will happen one day!
It does seem a long time ago (we applied in 2000) when we eagerly awaited the postman each day, but we got there in the end, and have never looked back!
Good luck with your application, and hope its not long before you get to realise your dream!
x
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

Funnily enough I did the same thing today.
I googled the area and then had a walk round like yourself feeling homesick!

It's been 4 and a half years since we applied and although we now have our PR and landed in Jan we still had to return here and wait to sell the house x

We did however go to the pumpkin patch with the boys just yesterday and had a lovely time we carved them today it passed the time very well x
Attached Thumbnails Keeping spirits up-pumpkin-patch-032.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2011, 10:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if the picture has attached, but the kids carved these yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Keeping spirits up-005.jpg  
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm not sure if the picture has attached, but the kids carved these yesterday.
That`s lovely!
Well done rivi for managing to attach the picture.
I am now going to try to do the same .......

This one of a raccoon amused me - someone should tell Canadians that too much Pumpkin can be a problem.

Did it work

Yes, it did! Hurrah!
Attached Thumbnails Keeping spirits up-pumkin-fat-out-raccoon.jpg  

Last edited by helcat12; Oct 28th 2011 at 11:08 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments.

That youtube video of all the seasons compressed into a few minutes is great. If you really want to take it to the extreme, you could even go for a *walk* around the area you want to live in on Google Street View

The biggest pain the the rear at the moment for us is knowing we can't apply this year because the quota is full. Waiting once you've applied is one thing, but waiting to be in a position where we can wait to have our application processed can drive you up the wall
Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:45 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThFCg0tBDck

The one above is a great one for Alberta! I came across it the other day!

This ones also really neat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiVWM3SZAY

You are right, you have to keep the spirits up and believe it will happen one day!
It does seem a long time ago (we applied in 2000) when we eagerly awaited the postman each day, but we got there in the end, and have never looked back!
Good luck with your application, and hope its not long before you get to realise your dream!
x
Loved the 'Breathe' one, I will send the link to my sister! It's also prudent to remember why we moved here in the first place sometimes and these videos can help on a dark snowy night when it's 40 below with no end in sight....Just made me think about how many things we have to left do still. We've got to go hiking more
Old Oct 29th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mardyarse
didn't have time to read through your blog but saw that your wife is a RN. Last weekend (it might not be too late) the Montfort Hospital in Ottawa had a jobfair to recruit 400 new nurses.

http://www.hopitalmontfort.com/career-at-montfort.cfm

there is a link to the Montfort in Ottawa. This of course may not be the area you were looking for but it might help others. Good luck
They would require the candidates to be fluently bi-lingual.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Has your wife tried applying for any jobs in Calgary? We have PT's who are here on Temporary Work permits, some of whom are awaiting PR.....

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/216.asp They say they will have people are have OR ARE IN THE PROCESS OF Permanent Residency

These are the current nursing jobs advertised just for the Calgary Health Region: http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/su...sing_title.htm

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Oct 29th 2011 at 9:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.