Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Keeping PEPs, ISAs & Endowment Policies going

Keeping PEPs, ISAs & Endowment Policies going

Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default Keeping PEPs, ISAs & Endowment Policies going

Met with our financial advisor a couple of months ago.

Only advice was to swap my wife's poorly performing ISA from some years back to another which he felt had a better track record.

In contrast to the advice on the wiki he did not at any stage suggest we cash in all PEPs, ISAs, Endowment plans.

We have a portfolio report, dated June 2011 which shows the value of these investments at that time.

Do we need an updated report on the day we land?

Any problems with us keeping these investments running after we leave the UK?

Thanks,

Tiger.

Last edited by Tiger_Quimpo; Aug 17th 2011 at 6:57 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

fatherkjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Keeping PEPs, ISAs & Endowment Policies going

yes you can keep them, but you won't be able to pay into the ISA anymore as you are not a resident in blighty for tax purposes.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiger_Quimpo
M

Do we need an updated report on the day we land?

Any problems with us keeping these investments running after we leave the UK?

Thanks,

Tiger.
Yes, an updated report will be a very good idea.

As fatherjack says, you can keep your ISA going just cannot contribute more. The problem is that Canadian tax law does not recognize the tax exempt status of these kinds of savings plans so any income or gains you realize within the plans from the day you become tax-resident in Canada is fully taxable here.

Generally, as you build up room to contribute to RRSPs and TFSAs here you would be a good idea to take your investments out of the UK plans and contribute them in Canada.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, an updated report will be a very good idea.

As fatherjack says, you can keep your ISA going just cannot contribute more. The problem is that Canadian tax law does not recognize the tax exempt status of these kinds of savings plans so any income or gains you realize within the plans from the day you become tax-resident in Canada is fully taxable here.

Generally, as you build up room to contribute to RRSPs and TFSAs here you would be a good idea to take your investments out of the UK plans and contribute them in Canada.
Thanks both.

The ISA are from years back and I haven't added to them over the years - even though I probably should have. The PEP gets and extra £70 invested each month and I assume I can continue doing that if I wish, but I think I'll stop adding to that too and start thinking Canadian when it comes to investments and savings.

I think I'll get me some financial advice after I land.

Cheers.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely. I would pick someone with a certified financial planner designation (CFP) and pay them a fee for service.