Kanata

Old May 26th 2009, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

dpickles is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Kanata

Surely thats 3 kids. R u 4 real? I thought that this was a moderated forum.
Please advise!
Deb
Old May 26th 2009, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

RGPickles will become famous soon enoughRGPickles will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kanata

Hey you look like my wife!

WTH

Moderators, why did you move us from immigration to Living and moving, when we have not actually IMMIGRATED yet!

We still need more info on immigration...

Bob
Old May 26th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Hi,

We live in Stittsville, about 8km further west, but my outlaws do live near the Centrum in Kanata.
On the whole its a pretty nice place to live, a very family oriented community and not too far from downtown. Commuting to downtown is easy, takes under an hour normally on the bus and there is one every 15 minutes during the day.
I would definately recommend it as a place to live if you have a family but if you're single it will be pretty boring, no too much night life at all.

Hope this helps!

Kriss
Old May 27th 2009, 12:26 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RGPickles
WTH

Moderators, why did you move us from immigration to Living and moving, when we have not actually IMMIGRATED yet!

Bob
I can't speak for the moderators but only questions regarding immigration, citizenship, etc, belong in the immigration section.

Questions on places to live, general life and social stuff belongs in the other to sections. The original question dealt with getting information on a specific town which is clearly not related to immigration matters. It doesn't matter whether or not you've actually immigrated.

If you have questions specific to immgrations (forms, criteria, wait times, etc) then they should be posted in their own thread in the immigration section.

You%
Old May 27th 2009, 12:33 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mardyarse
Big, sprawled out, loads of shops, loads of offices, loads of restaurants, leisure centres the whole North American thing. Not my cup of tea, too built up and modern for me but I totally get the whole "burbs" thing going on. We live in a small village about 40 mins from Kanata called "Manotick".
I agree with this completely. We'll be living in Richmond when we get there, not too far from Kanata, and we have family there.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Hi Deb,

I'm another of the Brits in Kanata, well moved to Stittsville last month after 2 years in Kanata. Not a huge difference i'm now a 15km bike ride to work instead of 10km. I work right under a GD office...

If you search my posts it will give you an insight into life here. Yes it snow, but that's why I came here.

Overall a massive change in lifestyle (for the better) and very child friendly.

please ask if you have any detailed quesitons as its pretty hard to explain 2 and a bit years in Kanata!

Andy
Old May 27th 2009, 1:07 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Kanata

Hi, we live in Stittsville, very close to Kanata, good place to live and to raise a family. Having said that we have just bought a house in Oakville GTA. No reflection on Stittsville or Ottawa.

If you consider Manotick, also look at Riverside South, another good place to live and more cost effective than Manotick, although only a hop skip and jump along the road.

Hope it all works out.
Old May 27th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dpickles
Thats great you have made me think about snow! good luck.
Regards
Deb
Thanks, you too
Old May 27th 2009, 12:47 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by act1980
I think the weather up there can get pretty cold, around -16 in the winter which lasts a good few months.
That would be a HIGH of -16 (C?)

-16(C?) is pretty mild by canadian standards...

Kanata/ Ottawa / Gatineau is that bit further north of the lake, and as a result gets significantly colder longer winters than the rest of the populated bit of Ontario.

Last edited by iaink; May 27th 2009 at 12:55 pm.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you look like my wife!

WTH

Bob
Comet555 was absolutely spot on. This forum (Canada) is for any general Canada related queries, the immigration one is only for specific visa queries (i.e. which form do I use/how can I sponsor my girlfriend/what do I need when I land etc).

General queries about moving to Canada such as areas to live, how to get pets there, removal costs, etc, belong in this forum. Your query falls into the latter category and is not actually anything to do with visas or immigration law, hence why it was moved.

Hope that's clarified it.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Bob
Speaking FOR the moderators

There is a post at the top of the forum that says "READ ME: Newcomers to the Forum" (that no one ever seems to read)

It directs people to a WIKI,

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Newcom...e_Canada_forum

one part of which is this...
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Choose...t_forum-Canada

The immigration area is (fairly) strictly for questions regarding the immigration process, the legal and procedural ways of getting into Canada

The Main Canada forum is for questions regarding regional questions, questions about towns, schools, the medical system...everyday life..that sort of thing

The Maple Leaf is for humorous / off topic/ nonsense and just hanging around with other folks of a canadian persuasion.

The idea is that by posting in the most suitable area you maximise the chances that your question will get the widest cross section of usefull answers, and will keep it from getting swamped by all the other posts that have been posted in the correct subforum...

HTH...

Last edited by iaink; May 27th 2009 at 12:58 pm.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

When I moved to Ottawa in 1963 Kanata didn't exist.
It was just a housing development then and over the years developed into a city separate from Ottawa. It has since become a part of Ottawa and for us old timers its a place to go shopping. It's a pretty dull place as far as any form of entertainment. It has become the hi-tech centre over the years.

Winters are pretty severe but the worst time is Jan Feb, however in Feb Ottawa puts on a great outdoor festival mostly around the downtown 5 mile long ice rink (Rideau Canal)

We came over with a young family 46 years ago ( see my 46 years in Canniversary). I worked for General Dynamics Canada in Bells corners for 20 years and Canadian Marconi in Kanata for 9 years. I retired in 1992 and spend Jan/Feb in San Diego.

Good luck
Old May 27th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iaink
That would be a HIGH of -16 (C?)

-16(C?) is pretty mild by canadian standards...

Kanata/ Ottawa / Gatineau is that bit further north of the lake, and as a result gets significantly colder longer winters than the rest of the populated bit of Ontario.
Not according to the weather averages on weather.com
Old May 27th 2009, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Keith
. It's a pretty dull place as far as any form of entertainment.
Given that Scotiabank Place is in Kanata with the Ottawa Senators and "some" world class bands / acts playing there I think as far as the burbs go its not that dull......

There is plenty of interesting places to go out , have you tried Moxies in the Centrum?

Last edited by XCMTBer; May 27th 2009 at 1:14 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old May 27th 2009, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Canada is the coldest capital city in the world (Moscow is 2nd)

I have lived through 45 Ottawa winters and I can confirm that we are colder than most populated parts of Ontario.
The lake affect does not influence our winter as we are too far away from Lake Ontario. Kingston which is 100 miles south is on the lake and has less severe winter weather. We do get somewhat less snow than parts of southern Ontario that are close to the Lakes, but it stays longer ( at least mid March)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.