Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Kamloops Weather Extremes

Wikiposts

Kamloops Weather Extremes

Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about
Default Kamloops Weather Extremes

Kamloops keeps featuring high in our list of possible final destinations! However when we first started looking into emmigrating to Canada, I was concerned about the cold winters - something that I have now got my head around.

What I seemed to have overlooked is the exteme summer high's. As a family of freckly red heads - would we fry in Kamloops!

Can someone who lives there give me an average breakdown off annual weather i.e. length of seasons etc.

My husband seems to think that it's like the UK 20 years ago - cold snowy winters and hot dry summers! Personally I can't remeber those!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kamloops Weather Extremes

Originally Posted by thesidds
Kamloops keeps featuring high in our list of possible final destinations! However when we first started looking into emmigrating to Canada, I was concerned about the cold winters - something that I have now got my head around.

What I seemed to have overlooked is the exteme summer high's. As a family of freckly red heads - would we fry in Kamloops!

Can someone who lives there give me an average breakdown off annual weather i.e. length of seasons etc.

My husband seems to think that it's like the UK 20 years ago - cold snowy winters and hot dry summers! Personally I can't remeber those!!!!

Check this out:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/sta...02091/cabc0146

hope that it helps
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:29 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian Climate Normals for Kamloops from Environment Canada, this table will give the 30 year averages in a number of weather categories.

Also a link for other weather information.

Nation Climate Archive

Choose a month, then a year and for the Interval choose "Daily" then click on the red dot for Kamloops on the map.

The resulting table will then show daily highs and lows as well as the amount of precipitation if any for each day of the month.

Cheers
Steve
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:45 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Coldest day this winter was -20c (-34c with the wind) and that was only for a few days.

Average temp for Dec, Jan & beginning of Feb this year was about -3c and to be honest it felt colder back in England. Yesterday was 12c and we are technically still in winter

Summers are boiling, I arrived here in July when it was 37c which is the hottest temperature I have ever experienced. Buy a house with air con is my advice.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:42 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thesidds

A lot of it depends where in the city you live or just outside - if you live outside the higher you go the cooler it gets, but the longer the winters are.

Some areas have a month extra of snow at each end of the season than other areas. These areas are cooler obviously.

The weather stats you will get will vary - most are taken from the airport which is a fairly neutral zone but some are taken more from Sun Peaks. If you talk to locals you will get varying stories as well depending on where they live in the city.

Factor 40 suncream is the normal here - I took some good old UK factor 5 into work to prove it existed and they suggested that cooking oil would be better to baste yourself with while you roast. We also find that it is better to go hiking or cycling in the higher areas in the peak of summer and seek shade - although I have been lazing in the middle of a lake in a speed boat.

Your question is hard to answer because I do not know how easily you burn in the UK. However it is worth pointing out that I have never burnt her in three summers yet some-how got sunburn every summer in the UK. Maybe I protect myself better here and got caught out over there???

Spring starts in March - my snow drops and crocii are in flower now. summer starts in May and ends September. Winter starts in November but snow may be as late as december and goes early march. frosts are over by April.

Where we live peak temperatures in summer can be as high as the mid 40's (degrees C) but only for three weeks (only phew it seems a long time). Where my boss lives they often only get up to the mid 30's in the peak of summer. There are plenty of pools and lakes around to cool off with.

Let me know if you want any more specifics and personal experience info with the weather.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Many thanks for all the info - really usefull. Statistics are great, but I don't think you can beat people's personal experiences. Hoepfully our trip in may will shed some more light on our decision!!!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir
Spring starts in March - my snow drops and crocii are in flower now.
Show off
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:53 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
Show off
lol - can't help it - I keep watching the daffodils pushing through and remembering how they were out by mid march in the UK